Optimum Organization: I Feel Like a New Teacher!

1. I think I could do this if I would take the time to just do it. What tends to happen is, when I have to move rooms, I just start throwing stuff away because I get tired of packing it and moving it. (my principal rearranges the building often, which is really annoying). But, I don't do it methodically like you are talking about. I should. But I don't. I was hoping to have time during our post planning days this year to do it but then it was mostly meetings, so….it didn't happen. You are inspiring, though!!

Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

2. MS. OCD says:

I was so glad that I took the time to go through my room one cupboard/closet at a time this year. Everything is cleaned out and streamlined for a fresh start. Even though I am not moving, pretending you are changing rooms every few years is a good thing. I have been in the same room for 15 years, and if I hadn't done that my room would be featured on Hoarders:) I will be linking up next week (my new folders are not done yet:) because I love organizing!

Susan
    Middle School OCD

3. Great post! I am in the same situation you were for years. I keep moving classroos and grade levels, so while I purge, I am afraid to let things go because I might need them later. Plus, we were recently told that we can not set out things that we do not want for others to take. I too found that too many containers allowed me to collect too many things! It's funny how having containers means that you feel you have to put something in them!

Christine

Leaping into Teaching

4. Emily says:

Great ideas! I have gone digital for a bunch of stuff, still holding onto things I probably don't need… I just got an iPad from Donor's Choose. So looking forward to adding that to the mix.

5. This is awesome for many reasons! One, this is my first Linky Party to participate in…so hopefully I do this right! Second, every year is a battle for me to get organized! I have been in 5 different classrooms in 6 years due to switching grade levels or switching partners. I think every year I purge more stuff, but every year I seem to acquire more stuff too! This school year I got the most organized, thanks to TpT and Pinterest giving me tons of ideas and electronic files! I know when I unpack it all in August I'll be throwing out/ giving away even more stuff.

6. Kelly says:

I completely agree with you on getting rid of things you haven't used in a year. Even though I have changed grades more than once, I know that if an item has sat on the shelf one year, it probably will sit there again. Great advice!

7. Amber O. says:

This sounds completely do-able (our school just gave each of us an iPad last year, and that scan app sounds like a pretty good way use for it)….but my inner control-freak just keeps me saying "what if?" What if my computer crashes and I lose all my files, even though I have a million thumb drives and an external hard drive. I realize the stuff on TpT can't be totally lost, but what about everything else? I find myself holding onto the safety of the hard-copies. How did you let yourself let that go???! Thanks for all the great ideas.
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

8. Ms. J says:

What a great idea!! Could you put the classroom supply labels (with the apple icon) on tpt. I don't have a TN account.

Thanks!

9. Erin B says:

I can't wait to wrap up my report cards so I can start enjoying my final weeks with my fifth grade class AND start purging my classroom to head to 2/3 next year! I'll be able to get rid of so much STUFF! What a great feeling! 🙂

~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

10. Rachel Lamb says:

My goal is to get rid of my file cabinet my August! My fellow teacher think I am crazy but I never save extra worksheets or game cards. I'd loose them is reason number one, but I hate random papers all over too! I hope to link up soon!! yay! I love reading y'all's posts!
    Rachel

11. You are my hero. I love all your technology ideas and have been subtly dropping hints to my headteacher about the necessity of an Ipad.
    Becky

12. Kristen, you are so smart! I am taking baby steps with my decluttering…but I really need to learn from you and just chunk it all. So happy to be partying with you again this week! Can't wait to read all of the link ups 🙂

13. Can you tell me more about the scanning you do with your iPad? I have an iPad but I don't seem to use it that much for work. However, I did scan all my books for my new classroom library check out system for next year using the iPad. I'm excited about that 🙂

14. WOW! All that cleaning out sounds great! We love cleaning out…we are like the opposite of hoarders! We just have to clean out something when we get to the end of the year! If we haven't used it in a while or at all, it goes!

🙂 Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

15. Erin K says:

I'm really excited to join the linky organization party! I can relate with your affinity to too many plastic organizers. I can to the realization last week when I realized I had 2 entire drawers in a large plastic drawer system dedicated to empty small plastic organizers just waiting to be used! You are inspiring me to purge…but then again…I may just keep them around for another year 🙂
    -Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

16. You are speaking my language!!!!! It's perfection in a post from the button to the pictures. I love it all. Tell me what app you use to scan and file. I love that!!!

17. kinder4life says:

I've been teaching Kindergarten for 34 years, in the same room! Last year I purged…and I still have a ton of stuff! Ive been saving it for my daughter who will begin her teaching career this fall in 2nd grade…we will go thru everything again this summer….what she doesn't take is going to goodwill!

Your tips and ideas are going to be a great help!

I am anxious to hear everyone's ideas…hopefully I can add a few too!

18. I have an exciting year coming up, I will be in the fourth grade! I taught fourth grade 20+ years ago and here I am again. I am looking forward to updating the room and myself. I saw your "Homeworkopoly" on pinterest and was wondering about the directions to the game. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have looked all over this site. Thanks for your help.
    Mrs. S

19. Daisy says:

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog! I've gone the opposite direction with the bins this year… We are having construction on my campus and I will be moving… wait for it… THREE times next school year!! I decided the easiest way to pack and unpack repeatedly was to put everything in bins, put the bins on shelves and then just be able to put the bins back in boxes. The dollar store loves me 🙂

20. Amy Dahmke says:

I am so glad that I found this! I have had the past year off from teaching and am as overwhelmed as EVER trying to get back in the swing of things! I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to reading some great ideas for getting me "in mode" for the new year!

Amy
    3amcreations.blogspot.com

21. Which Scanner App do you use? There are several in the app store, and I'm not sure which is better for our purposes. Thanks!

22. Ms. Reidy says:

I love this idea of scanning the piles of paperwork! I would love to find a way whether it's an app for my ipad or other method to be able to organize all my unit files on the computer so I could do away with my MANY binders and file cabinet. Thanks for posting about this one, I'll be sure to check it out.

23. Ms.M says:

Yay! I got to link up!
    Mels

24. Mel says:

I really need to do just what you're suggesting… purge. I have so many various files from the different grade levels I've taught, that I'm constantly afraid that I will throw something away for 2nd grade, and then I'll end up back there wishing I had that file. Thankfully I've been settled in 5th grade now for 3 years, but I'm the newest/youngest at my grade level so I know if we ever went down in amount of classes I'm the most likely to leave.

I love the idea of going through my stuff and scanning my files so I store it digitally instead of in file cabinets.

You've inspired me!

25. Well, you inspired me to go through my teaching resources and I did find a lot that I could eliminate from my shelves but I did keep a few for my sub tub (that is what I posted about). I totally agree about the containers. I have an area in my classroom right now where I am storing containers! We were just cleaning out a desk of a student that left our school and found pieces to a Christmas activity – so I agree with you – just print out, use and recycle!