Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012

Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012
Hi everyone…I wanted to thank you for the sweet words of wisdom the other day. I read your comments again and again. I cherish your advice and thoughts more than I can express.
I have a lot of little things to share from our classroom…and now we are on break so I can get started. 🙂
For some reason, I always find myself giving my room an uplift this time of year. Must be because that lovely month of organization is close at hand–January!
I’ve been looking around the room and re-purposing some items and downsizing others…like my old showerboard/dry erase board:
(That’s an old picture…the board isn’t looking so great these days, it’s all markerish now).
So one of our newest additions to the class is a new whiteboard…of sorts:
They’re are actually little whiteboard panels I lined up and hot glued to our bulletin board.
And do you know what they are made of?
They are those foam boards used for presentations, but with a dry erase surface! (Do you ever get an idea in your head about something, google it, and find that it actually exists?? Best feeling!). You can see them here: Elmer’s Dry Erase Foam Boards.
These boards come in packs of two, are very light-weight, and can be configured in a number of different ways. The three lined up together are the perfect size for us to use for notes or with our computer projector…
(They’re not as crooked as they look in this picture, I promise, though they definitely aren’t perfect…I’ve been working on letting go of my type-A tendencies, haha!)

The dry erase surface is better than I even expected and erases very nicely (we use those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers).
The only downfall? We have to be careful of the cracks between each board…if they get too much marker on them, they may not erase (since they’re at the very edge of that foam board). We’ve talked about this in class and the students are great about not writing over the borders.
I have some other plans for these boards, which I will be sure to share in the new year. 🙂
What do you like to use your dry erase boards for?

• Emily December 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Very clever. I mainly don't write on the board for lessons anymore. My screen takes up a good portion and I use the ladybug / projector/ computer… What is always on the board are my objectives, my magnets of kids done/ not done, date, and homework.

• krazykindergarten December 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Another inexpesive option is found at the lumber yard….it is a white bathboard. We have used them as large white boards and we have also had the lumber yard cut them in 9 x 12 size for lapboards. Just another idea!!

• Lori December 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Great way to add another wipe off board to your room!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• The Science Penguin December 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Really cool! Thanks for sharing!

The Science Penguin

• Beth December 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

I am loving this ideas….as I detest chalk boards. Good tip. Thanks.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

• Mor Zrihen December 23, 2012 at 3:19 am

What a fabulous idea friend!!! You are super crafty!!! I wish I could stop by your room!!!!!! Happy Holidays xoxo

• Barbara December 23, 2012 at 5:49 am

Oooh, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• charlmarjo December 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I read on Pinterest that you can clean whiteboards with air freshener. It sounds weird, but it really works!

• Kelley Cirrito December 24, 2012 at 1:57 am

What a great idea!! You are so crafty! I hope you have a great holiday!!

• The Wild Rumpus December 24, 2012 at 2:11 am

Kristen–I love this. My Smartboard has attacked the whiteboard space, and I love this creative solution!

• Lisa Mattes December 24, 2012 at 3:31 am

I love whiteboards! This is great!! You are truly incredible, Kristen. I've been stalking you for quite some time and just love so many things about you! Your knack for graphics is just completely incredible and your generosity is sooo appreciated!!! Thank you so much for all you do!
    Growing Firsties

• Sherry Andrighetto December 24, 2012 at 6:21 am

Thank you for sharing. You always have creative ideas. I really love your creativity!
    Kindergarten Milestones

• Ms.M December 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love this idea. I basically use my dry erase board to project my doc cam on. I have a gazillion dry erase boards all over my room, all shapes and sizes but I am a bit "A type" with them and have a hard time letting the kids write on them. HOWEVER, I think I would so let them have at it with these

My big white board is sectioned off with ribbon. I was thinking if you wanted you could put tape or ribbon over the creases and have each board be for a different subject, or activity. Shrugs, just an idea. Though I totally get the appeal of putting them together to have one bog board. I am curious to see what else you will do with them.

Melissa

• What is your students’ favorite read aloud so far this year??⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We have so many we’ve loved...but I think Those Shoes is our class favorite so far.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I started keeping track of our read alouds in a google sheet and it has been SUCH a big help. We have a running count of books read so far (it counts automatically as I check off books, swipe to see!) and I can stop forgetting which titles I’ve already read! I feel much more organized with my read alouds this year 😊⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This resource is on sale in my store tonight...please see the link in my profile if you’d like to check it out: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#picturebooks #readalouds #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Setting up Google Classroom for a short week ahead!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Each year, my fourth graders have a blast with @digitaldivideconquer’s Plan Thanksgiving Dinner project! I love how it gives them the opportunity to work on their math fluency with a real-world application.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup is so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to use digital flyers these days, so I created a temporary category on our Classwork page in Google Classroom. I linked flyers for three of our local grocery stores...and added an emoji to make it stand out easily on our page.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The rest is simple...@digitaldivideconquer’s resource is print and go! It’s such a great activity to keep the students engaged before the holiday.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you working this week? What will you be doing with your class? I’d love to hear some more ideas to keep the focus this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • We are in school next week, are you? I won’t complain though...we used to work through Wednesday afternoon but now we only go until Tuesday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you on break yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teacherbreak #almostthere #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram