Daily Materials Organization

March 27, 2011

Daily Materials Organization

March 27, 2011

Mrs. Patton over at Patton’s Patch is having the coolest, week-long linky party–all about organization!!

Today’s topic is organization of daily materials. This is something I have struggled with in the past and I have recently started a new system that works well for me.

Since I teach 4th/5th, the materials part isn’t too hard to manage…we have our materials fairly organized around the room and the students know where to access them and take charge in distributing and collecting them.

It’s the papers. Yikes. With multi-age ELL students with a huge variety of skills (I have students not yet reading all the way to students reading on grade level, in 5th grade) the papers can be the hardest to manage.

I ended up turning to files, as I could have many different papers stored in a filebox, without taking up too much space.

I am a reformed mad stacker of papers, I still go back to it sometimes :/

I got this filebox at Staples. It was pretty cheap ($12?) and has a neat little handle and, even better, cute little compartments to store teacherly things like…

My wicked cool highlighter and quintessential sticky notes…

And more important stuff. It actually comes in really handy if you travel with the whole filebox to the copier and find yourself needing to organize or make a note while waiting.

And then, there are the files themselves. They are color-sorted for the different days of the week. There are two spelling files for my different spelling groups. You might notice there isn’t a tab for math…

That’s in another whole filebox I posted about awhile back in Organizing Differentiated Math Work.

One more closeup of the files. That glow isn’t from the folders either, the tabs themselves are shaded to match the file folder…it just makes it easier for me to find things.

So, not every file gets filled every week. We do a ton of work on the laptops, as well as whiteboards (I try to be as green as I can be) but this has really helped me keep things sorted. I think, ideally, I could have even more folders to further separate the differentiated work in each subject. Perhaps this summer. 🙂

I am attaching the “Monday through Friday Files” sign below. If you haven’t already, you must stop by Patton’s Patch and check out the awesome organizational linky party! Thanks, Mrs. Patton!!

Monday through Friday Files

• Mrs. Patton March 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Wow! I love that it is all together and easy to take to the copy room. Thanks so much for sharing!

Colleen Patton
    Mrs. Patton’s Patch

• Mrs. Magee March 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I love to organized with color! Love your files!

• MrsKinne March 27, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Such a good idea! I am super excited for a week of organizational ideas. 🙂

• Ms.M March 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I'm so sad I wont be able to take pictures until tomorrow. Must be an ELL teacher thing, I organize my file a lot like yours. I even use a file box! I'll post mine tomorrow. 🙂

• Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! March 27, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I love the idea of the color files. Mine are all the same color and I still sometimes pull the wrong one. I like the bigger tabs too. I think I will have to update mine! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jenea

• Erin March 28, 2011 at 12:23 am

I wish I could be this organized!!!

• Ms. Morales April 17, 2011 at 12:10 am

Thank you so much for this! I created mine 2 weeks ago and I love it!!!

• Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) October 10, 2011 at 1:20 am

OMGosh! I'm addicted to organization! lol…I'm so excited abut the linky party! lol

• Cajun Teacher November 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Wow!!! I need organization MORE than any other teacher you know…because I am an ADHD teacher!!! I try really hard all the time to keep myself organized, but a lot of times it doesn't work!!! This looks like something that could really help me out each week.

• How’s it going with your classroom cleanup? I had a two hour block the other day and will have a whole day next week to do more. It’s surreal. Hope you are all doing well ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #missmystudents #missmyclassroom #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Not one thing worked today. Not zoom. Not google meet. Two weeks to go and I am missing my classroom more than ever!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
How much distance learning do you have left??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #notmyfavorite #missmystudents #andmyclassroom
    • Google drive shortcuts at a glance!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I know I shared these in a pdf the other day but I wanted to show another way to display these little time-savers.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I split them into two files and resized them so they could stay at the top of my drive as a reference point...no need to open anything, just a couple of mini reference charts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you would like to try the same, please click the link in my profile to grab a copy or visit: bit.ly/shortcutsataglance
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They are in one google slide together. To view them separately, make a second copy of the file and delete the first slide. Now you will have two google slides you can keep at the top of your drive.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope you can use them! I can't get enough of them!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I'm LOVING these time-saving shortcuts for google drive!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I compiled some of my favorite shortcuts that have eliminated a lot of double-clicking on items...as well as right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu. These things can get pretty tedious when you are trying to move quickly, right? Especially with the amount of time we are working in google drive during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first set of shortcuts will work on anything you have selected in your drive. So if you select a doc, you can simply click one of these letters/symbols and be on your way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The second set features a faster way to open up new docs, slides, sheets, and more. For these shortcuts, simply click the shift key along with the letter shown in the chart. So much faster than the traditional way!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I made a pdf of these shortcuts...you can save the file in your drive or even print a copy if you would like. Please see the link in my profile or visit: bit.ly/googledriveshortcutschart
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope they help save you some time during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Which one do you think will be the most handy? My two favorites right now are the renaming shortcut and the share shortcut!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Who else loves a good shortcut??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I seriously LOVE shortcuts. It may sound like such a small thing, but a one-click shortcut saves SO much time rather than double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But just one little click? Then you are on your way in an instant!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And these google shortcuts are just that...lovely, one-click shortcuts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These are some of my favorites I started using last year...and now with all this distance learning I have found them to be so valuable as I navigate my google drive:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Open a folder or document: click letter o
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Rename a folder or document: click letter n
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Preview a document: click letter p
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Share a document: click the dot symbol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And that's all! Select any folder or document you are working on, click on of these letters/symbols, and you are on your way to the next step in your work!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I have a few more shortcuts to share and would love to put them together in a document that can be saved/printed...can anyone use this? Let me know and I will share it tomorrow!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Happy shortcutting!! And, more importantly, happy weekend my friends!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #teachertimesaver #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite google font? There's a way to make your favorite a default font, EVERY time you create a new google doc!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I love this one so much.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
You know how google docs always open with Arial? Like size 11 I think? It's not that Arial is bad or anything...but it's definitely not my go-to font.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Luckily, there is a way to make your favorite font (and font size!) display automatically in docs! So every time you open a new doc, no more time wasted in selecting your favorite font and font size! It is SO awesome!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And really easy to do! Here are the steps (shown in the pictures step by step too):
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Open a new google doc. Type a word or phrase and highlight it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. Select the text and choose your favorite font and font size. Keep the text highlighted.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. Go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal Text' to Match.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. Then go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Now your new font is ready to go! Each time you create a new doc, your font will be there waiting...no more time wasting changing fonts and sizes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you tried this feature before? I hope it helps save you some time if you haven't!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googlefonts #googledocs #googledrive #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram