Library Labels Galore!

August 1, 2012

Library Labels Galore!

August 1, 2012
Thank you to everyone who has linked up with the Summer Shopping Linky Party so far!! It has been so fun to see all of the purchases! If you would like to link up (or just browse around) please click on the green link to check it out.
So, this week, I’m putting the finishing touches on my classroom library labels. I have three sections to my library this year: a leveled section, a genre section, and a nonfiction subject section (that last one is the part I’m still finishing now–it’s taking forever!!).
Once I wrap that up, I will blog a bit more in depth about our system and how it’s evolved over the years. I think (and hope!) that I finally have it down to the best system possible for my students. More to come on that!
In the meantime, I’ve put a number of different library labels in my shop. Each preview below shows a snapshot of the item and can be clicked to bring you to that exact item in the shop. I put the name and price so you don’t have to go clicking back and forth.  🙂
The library labels include…

Flipped Signs: Genre Labels ($1.00)…

Bright & Clear Decor: Genre Labels ($1.50)…

Flipped Signs: Leveled Labels ($1.50)…

Bright & Clear Decor: Leveled Labels ($2.00). Lots of mix and match options with this one…

Flipped Signs: Letter Labels ($1.50). To sort by author or book name…

Bright & Clear Decor: Letter Labels ($2.00). These are in a large file too, so they can be mixed and matched to your particular color scheme…

And last, but not least, Flipped Signs: Genre Posters ($2.50). This poster pack has labels that are 4″ in diameter to decorate library baskets, as well as 6″ in diameter for a larger, display size.

I never put a lot of items on at once like this–and I feel like celebrating now that I’ve finally linked them all up!
Sooo…if you are interested in any of these items, I will take the first twelve readers to leave a comment with:
  1. Your email address so it can be sent along.
  2. Which library item you would like to grab.

Thanks for taking the time to read this…I appreciate it always!

• Shanyn August 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

coffeekidsandcompulsivelists@hotmail.com I would love the genre posters! They are adorable!!

These are all fantstic!

Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

• Megan August 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I love the flipped letter labels…they could be used for a word wall, right?

methomason@gmail.com

• Kelly Schwamb August 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Love the bright and clear leveled labels.
    Kschwamb@gmail.com

• Teach*Pray*Love August 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

These look so good! I would love the Flipped Signs Genre Posters. 🙂
    teachpraylove25@gmail.com

• Miss School Potato August 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

1. ahappyjaffee@yahoo.com
    2. flipped signs: leveled labels

yay!!

• Stephanie August 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I would love the flipped genre labels! I love your designs – you're a great inspiration!

stephanie.wood1@gmail.com
    Maestra Bilingue

• Sherri Boutilier August 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

These are awesome and as a teacher librarian they would be great in our school library for my mini genre bins I love the flipped genre set! Here's hoping I'm one of the 12!
    Sherri
    booksblocksandbaskets@gmail.com

• Miss School Potato August 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

sorry I meant "letter labels"! Thanks so much, Kristen!!

• Kaitlyn August 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Wonderful! I'd love the flipped genre posters!

bookskt19@yahoo.com

🙂 Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

• Rachel August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Love the flipped signs letter labels!

Rachel.turnage14@gmail.com

• Rachel August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Love the flipped signs letter labels!

Rachel.turnage14@gmail.com

• Shelly220 August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I love all of your labels! I would love the Bright and Clear Decor Leveled Labels. I'm hoping to get started on my library tomorrow!

Thanks so much!
    Michelle
    mkinsella716@gmail.com

• Rachel August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Love the flipped signs letter labels!

Rachel.turnage14@gmail.com

• 4321Teach August 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm

The flipped genre signs are so cute!

EmilyK
    4321teach@gmail.com

• Elizabeth August 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Look at you Ms. Busy-pants. I'm loving these.

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Kristen August 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm

That's 12! I'm sending emails out in a moment!

• Suzy Q August 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Hoping I am in the 12 if you take out the multiple comments above! I would love the flipped genre poster signs if I make it.

tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

• Sherry August 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Can't even tell if I will be #12 but just letting you know how much your work inspires me! I'm going to purchase your handwriting signs this week so the flipped genre would be a great addition to my classroom.
    Thanks!
    sherrymatheson@gmail.com

• Ximena August 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Wow! I left for a second and I see all this comments.
    The signs look amazing!! Can't wait to download them for my library.
    I will like your e-mail, so I can e-mail you some of my pictures.
    I start school the 13th.
    Thank you for sharing.
    mrsximena@gmail.com

• Kristen August 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I sent you an email!! 🙂

• Courtney August 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Wow! You've been busy! These look amazing. I made my own last year but I think I am going to switch to yours. They look much better than mine.

Swimming into Second

• Anonymous August 1, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Hi Kristen! I am a fellow 5th grade teacher and a friend recently introduced me to your blog! I am in love with all of your creations, and you have totally inspired me to freshen up my room as I go into my 11th year of teaching! 🙂 Quick question- do you have any bright, basic calendar numbers? I love the small number squares you use for your desk chair pockets, and was curious if they would fit in a calendar, and if they could be purchased separately. Thanks so much! Dana 🙂

• Kristen August 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi Dana, thanks for your sweet comment! I am starting my 11th year too 🙂

I don't have just basic numbers yet. The chair numbers have a 2.5" by 2.5" size as well, to fit smaller things like calendars so they could possibly work, though I haven't tried it myself so I'm not positive.

Thanks again! 🙂

• lesliep August 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Kristen,
    I LOVE your flipped labels but am limited in my ink supply 🙁 Would you consider doing a D'Nealian alphabet in your clear and bright (like the Zaner Bloser)??? YOu can email me @ lesliepanaro@hotmail.com

• mrsyoung August 2, 2012 at 12:21 am

Flipped Signs: Genre Labels if it's not too late! I'm a fellow 5th grade teacher. Love all your work!
    dritchie@vt.edu

• Janaye August 2, 2012 at 12:43 am

You've done it again!! What an awesome set of products!! 🙂

Janaye

• Alexandra August 2, 2012 at 12:43 am

Bright & Clear Decor: Leveled Labels are amazing and I would LOVE a set! I'm a 4/5th grade spec ed teacher and I would love to organize my room a little! I have to say the Flipped Signs: Genre Posters are great too! alivings07@gmail.com

• Kristen August 2, 2012 at 12:47 am

Thanks so much Alexandra! I already sent the 12 out–but I greatly appreciate your comments!

• Sarah Kern August 2, 2012 at 1:15 am

I am very interested in ordering the leveled labels and genre labels… they are so cute!!! Am I able to order them?
    Please let me know!
    Thank you!
    srkern987@gmail.com

• killerbees3 August 2, 2012 at 1:32 am

These all look super! I can't decide which to order.

• Lisa K August 2, 2012 at 2:19 am

You always make such amazing items! The flipped genre labels are on my wishlist now! Thanks for making such wonderful products. 🙂

• tamberly August 2, 2012 at 3:07 am

Love the bright colors and flipped labels!! So cute!

Tamberly
    A Window Into Mrs Wheeler's Class

• Reese August 2, 2012 at 3:25 am

I love the genre lables…would you be able to make a file that is not the flipped version? If not, maybe its just time to try the flipped signs. I purchased your alphabet, the non-flipped version, and love it! I just havent jumped on the flipped sign bandwagon yet! Let me know please, thanks! theresesamp@gmail.com

• Kristen August 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I could do that Reese. I will send you an email when they are in the shop–thanks for your input, I appreciate it so much!

• Anonymous August 2, 2012 at 4:15 am

Love all your work! I'm looking for new ideas to help my husband with a new classroom…he got (had) to switch rooms this year! The flipped genre posters would be great! We are in the process of sorting and reorganizing his class library! 🙂

Thank you!

denisewilliams@iowatelecom.net

• Heather August 2, 2012 at 4:29 am

You have been so busy! I love the signs. I switched classrooms/schools/grades this year and I have totally used you as a muse for my decorations this year! When I post pictures I will send you a link so you can see. Thanks for everything. 🙂
    ~ Heather
    Loose Shoelaces

• Fluttering Through First Grade August 2, 2012 at 5:50 am

Those genre posters are too cute Kristen and we are in love with the black! You have been a busy bee for sure! What choice do we have…it's coming!! 🙂 Thanks for sharing your creativity again. 🙂

Christy & Tammy

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron August 2, 2012 at 10:13 am

I am DEFinitely not a first 12, but can I tell you??? I want to be like you when I grow up – LOVE you and your stuff!

• Lisa August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

I love your labels! Thank you for sharing!

• Lori August 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love the genre labels! I really love all your products & I'm redecorating in the polka dots & bright colors this year. (& I'll have two rooms at two different schools..yikes!) I'm just curious how many bazillions of dollars you spend on black ink?!?!
    Lori
    lorikimball1@aim.com

• Kristen August 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Not bazillions. My black ink tank is larger than the rest of the colors so it doesn't go too quick. I've always printed a lot of stuff over the summer, so I'm used to it. 🙂

• Ms.M August 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Rofl I'm a bit late. Lol. Love all the signs Kristen. They look great. This is an area I struggle with so I look forward to seeing how you leveled and organized your library.

M

• Anonymous August 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love your genre lables! How do I buy them?
    Mary

• Kristen August 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Mary!! Each item picture is linked up to my shop. Thanks again for your interest in them 🙂

• Mrs. E August 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Oh my goodness! These are too cute!! I might have to go snag them 😉

• Kelley Cirrito August 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Love all these!!!! You are just too talented!

• Anonymous August 3, 2012 at 12:16 am

Love the labels. Could you make labels for first grade that are themed based?

• Kristen August 3, 2012 at 3:07 am

Hi, and thanks! I don't have to plans to right now as I'm not sure which ones to create (since I teach older students). I'm sorry!

• missgiannini August 3, 2012 at 2:57 am

Are you going to create a "Bright and Clear" version of your picture genre lables/posters? Like your Bright and Clear Alphabet posters? I like the fliped ones, but am trying to stay consistant. Thanks!

• Kristen August 3, 2012 at 3:06 am

I can and I hope to have them up this weekend! 🙂

• Anonymous August 3, 2012 at 4:33 am

The Flipped Signs Genre Posters look great! 🙂

Kim
    kdeyo@spsmail.org

• missgiannini August 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Kristen! As a first year teacher it is so great to have such creative, yet consistent, options for decorating my classroom. I am super excited to not have to go out and buy tons of comercial products that are well… cheesy. And… what a plus to support another teacher. Thanks for all you do! You are so creative.

Melissa
    Missgiannini@hotmail.com

• Althea August 3, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Kirsten, I follow you everyday…I am a blog stalker because I have learned so much from your tutorials and have the same color theme as you. Kinda like a copy cat….love the a, b, c bright and clear because your colors are my colors…Mini me. You have pumped me up so much this school year. I slapped my self when I wanted to run to Wal Mart and get those rugs you posted on the Linky…althea.young@epsb.com…..blog is Yellow Frog's Learning Swamp on google. All thanks to your sharing of ideas. I am a giver too!

• YoungTeacherLove August 3, 2012 at 5:46 pm

She does it again!!! 😉 I LOVE those genre labels!!!! I want them for my book baskets in my classroom library!!!!!!!!!!! You are amazing Kristen!!

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Susan August 5, 2012 at 12:01 am

Love your flipped signs! This is going to be my first year teaching and I am excited to be able use your signs in my class library. Question about printing your signs- Are you using black ink for the background or can they be printed on black cardstock and just have the colored lettering? Thank you for sharing and look forward to continue to read your blog when school starts.

Susan
    susan.flores@alumni.twu.edu

• Kristen August 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi Susan, thank you! The flipped signs print with black ink, so they won't work on black cardstock…I use white cardstock for mine. Thanks again! 🙂

• Anonymous August 5, 2012 at 6:06 am

I adore your work! You've made mention of talking about how you set up your classroom library, and I wanted to learn more. Is there a way to search your blog for the word "library"? I'm thinking of giving my library a complete overhaul yet this summer and would love to see how you've set your up!

Beth

• Anonymous August 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

What fonts did you use to make your leveled genre posters and leveled library posters?

• Mary M August 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I love these labels Kristen!! I was looking around and wondering if you have any hall passes made? Like boys and girls bathroom passes. I couldn't find any, do you have a link? Thanks for all you do, your work is amazing!

Mary

• Kristen August 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I don't have any right now Mary…if I do I will be sure to share them on the blog! Thanks for the nice comment!! 🙂

• Anonymous August 5, 2012 at 11:51 pm

WHYYYY WHYYY WHYY!!!! 🙂 I absolutely LOVE these and now I want to go redo all of the labels in my library!!

WHYYYY!!! 🙂 🙂

(Thank you though!)

• Darby Schilinski August 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hi Kristen,

Is there any way for you to make your genre labels and posters at 3 inches as well? The 4 inches are just a little too big for my baskets….I am in LOVE with them but unfortunately I can't get em due to size….
    Thanks Darby

darby.schilinski@gmail.com

• Anais Novak August 7, 2012 at 5:40 am

Hi Kristin,
    I love everything you make and that you teach a newcomer class. My school also has a newcomer class and people never know what it is when I am talking about it. I am teaching departmentalized writing (fifth grade) next year. I just downloaded your Voices Headers for my strategy board. I came across these library labels and just love them also. I am sorting my library this year by mentor text that reflect the traits. Would it be possible for you to make me the flipped library labels with writing traits instead of genre titles using the same graphic you used on the voice headers for me to purchase? I know this is a specific request and totally understand if you are too busy.Have great school year!
    Anais
    agnovak@interact.ccsd.net

• Kristen August 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

Hi Anais! That's funny, no one I talk to ever knows either until I explain 🙂

I would love to more than anything, but I have to many projects going on right now and school is approaching. I'm sorry, it's really hard for me to say no!!

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram