Flipped Signs! (supply signs)

June 8, 2012

Flipped Signs! (supply signs)

June 8, 2012
Hello everyone!!! I have missed you all so much!!! I have been totally swamped with end of the year schoolwork (11 days to go!!) and have barely managed to get on the blogs. I vow to catch up this weekend!!
Sooo…how are you? How are your summers going? Are any of you still in school as well? When do you get out? Sorry, I know I’m kind of supposed to ask you a question at the end of the post, but I feel like I haven’t talked to you in FOREVER!
Ok, back to school talk. As in let’s get to school talk, not “back to school” talk. It’s too early for me to even think of that. Or perhaps not because, like so many of you, I am planning away for next year even while this year is still wrapping up.

I think I mentioned before that I am keeping the same black-and-white-with-brights color scheme as last year (or is it “this year” since I’m still there??). Anyhow, I asked my students and they voted yes and told me they liked the color scheme. Since I have some students looping up with me again next year, plus I have a need to change SOMETHING every year, I will be working on my signs and labels…otherwise everything will stay pretty similar (I say that now but watch me get into a frenzy of redecorating the minute we get out of school!!).
So, as I was contemplating this continued color scheme and looking around my room, it struck me how much white there was in the room. We have white walls, mostly white floors, a bunch of my storage is white. This is all fine, white is clean and refreshing and all, but my eye kept going to all of the signs and labels I had made. They had color of course, but also a LOT of white.
This got me thinking. What if I flipped the signs? So the color would really be seen and the white would pop. I tried it out with my supply baskets first…

I mean, as much as I love these old guys…

These new ones stand out WAY MORE!!!

Perhaps I’m cheating a bit with my mad photography skills–that’s a joke!!! (all I can see are my flaws in my late-night cutting of the signs!)
In all seriousness, I am wicked excited about these little signs! They stand out from across the room and are highly visible. And they look pretty cool on the bright colored baskets, huh? (those baskets are vintage Dollar Tree, by the way, going back about 4-6 years)
I have some more signs in the works but have placed these supply signs in my Teachers Notebook Shop this evening. There are 12 signs in all for $1.50.
If you click on the preview below, it will take you to my shop…
If you’d like a free copy, I will give a set away to the first three people to comment below!
Thanks so much for stopping by!! 🙂

Some fonts by Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com.

• Tania June 8, 2012 at 1:35 am

I love them!
    Tania
    jknapp6@gmail.com

• Ginger Snaps June 8, 2012 at 1:36 am

Love those!! I want them…Seriously.

• Kim in Kansas June 8, 2012 at 1:37 am

Iadore the black and white signs!! They pop!
    Kim
    kim_lander@comcast.net

• Sandra June 8, 2012 at 1:37 am

Love them!!! Too cute! 🙂
    ❤ Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

• Julie June 8, 2012 at 1:38 am

Super cute…I'm going with a black, white & red theme next year & these will be perfect!

• Anonymous June 8, 2012 at 1:38 am

I can't believe j've never seen this idea before! I love it!

Jenna
    Jennarpq@hotmail.com

• Marcia June 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

Love the flipped signs. A nice change to all the white.
    Learning in Bliss

• dbturner June 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

Would love a set of these labels. They look awesome!

• Constance June 8, 2012 at 1:41 am

Cuteness!

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts June 8, 2012 at 1:41 am

How fun!! They look like mini-chalkboards, but way cuter 🙂 You always come up with the bestest ideas!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Kristen June 8, 2012 at 1:42 am

I sent them out to the first three commenters! Thanks for all of the sweet words guys! 🙂

• First Grade Dual June 8, 2012 at 1:42 am

I love black and white, these look awesome! I've missed your posts, especially your tutorials 🙂
    ☼Libby
    First Grade Dual
    That's right, I'm moving up to First Grade, Yahoo!

• Jennifer June 8, 2012 at 1:45 am

These look fantastic!! Too bad I wasn't one of the first three.

Jennifer
    jenniferlalsip(at)yahoo(dot)com
    The First Grade Dream

• Elizabeth June 8, 2012 at 1:48 am

How awesome are these? You know, I'm going with that same color scheme next year too…black with bright (teal, lime green, hot pink, purple). I think you have rubbed off on me quite a bit 🙂

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these (and everything you do).

I was just thinking to myself (about 10 minutes ago), "I haven't read/heard from Kristen in a while…I hope she's OK."

And, here you are…all OK.

Have a great 11 days.

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• Mrs. Parker June 8, 2012 at 1:48 am

These are seriously great! I want them. Is there a way to print them on black card stock/paper instead of using ink? Just thought maybe you thought about this.

• Kristen June 8, 2012 at 2:02 am

Hey Mrs. Parker! I was wondering that too, but I think the ink doesn't come out white…I think that part just stays blank and the rest is filled in. I consoled myself with the thought that black ink is cheaper than colored ink!! Ha! 🙂

• Elizabeth June 8, 2012 at 1:49 am

PS-love vintage Dollar Tree baskets, too 🙂

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• Laura Ellison June 8, 2012 at 1:50 am

Love, love, LOVE! These would go perfectly with last year's theme-heck, they may still work with this year's theme!

Laura
    Will Grade For Coffee

• Lisa R. June 8, 2012 at 1:51 am

I am flipping over these signs!!! I love them!!! 🙂

Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

• Ms. O'Brien June 8, 2012 at 1:54 am

Ahhh.. I missed you!! I was looking forward to your newest post and here it is. How awesome are these?!? Hope you have a good rest of the school year… 🙂

• Jessica June 8, 2012 at 2:03 am

They are SUPER CUTE!

• Kelley Cirrito June 8, 2012 at 2:09 am

I have been out for two weeks but doing homework everyday! I wish I was planning for next year but I won't be until my classes are done in July! I love your labels. I think they stand out even more now that they are black!! Good luck girly with your last few days!

• Jessica King June 8, 2012 at 2:15 am

Love the signs-I was just putting up black boarder thinking along the same lines as you (white walls, white floors, etc) so funny! We ended last week and I am STILL not finished "closing down" my room!

• Cynthia June 8, 2012 at 2:20 am

I am totally loving these signs! The "vintage" baskets look like they are in amazing shape! My decorating sounds like it is following yours. I'm dropping the zebra, pink and green, and going with black and brights! BTW, I'm still in school, too! Kids get out next Thurs. and teachers' last day is the 15th!

• Mrs. M June 8, 2012 at 2:27 am

Love the black signs with white lettering. Thank you for sharing.

• Miss T June 8, 2012 at 2:36 am

Those look awesome!

Journey of a Substitute Teacher

• Miss Klohn June 8, 2012 at 3:06 am

Love the flipped signs! What a great idea to make them pop!!!

Miss Klohn
    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

• Sophia June 8, 2012 at 3:10 am

Yay! Kristen's back!
    I love the white on black! They look great!I can't wait to see what else you make! I've been out since May 22nd, but I spent my first week off painting my new classroom. It took forever, but was totally worth it! I can't wait to start painting my cabinets, but I have to wait until the custodians are finished with the floors in my hallway before I can get back into my room. You can check out before and after pics of the walls on my blog. Do you plan on doing any more blog designing over the summer?
    Hang in there! You'll be finished soon!

Sophia
    How Cute Is This?

• Reagan Tunstall June 8, 2012 at 3:13 am

Oh so cute! I just love everything about your signs. 🙂

• Kristin June 8, 2012 at 3:19 am

These are fantastic!!!!!

• ~Stephanie Moorman June 8, 2012 at 3:45 am

Kristen, these are amazing and PERFECT!! I am going to have to use these in my class next year, for sure. LOVE!!!!!!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Cassandra June 8, 2012 at 3:57 am

I thought I was crazy getting the bug to rearrange and redecorate my classroom this time of year. It's nice to see others do too 🙂 I love your signs! I am going to have to use these or maybe you other colorful ones! Super Cute!

Adventures in Room 5

• April Kreitzer Wolfe June 8, 2012 at 3:58 am

They are great!! I too am having a black and white theme.

April
    Wolfelicious

• Annie Moffatt June 8, 2012 at 4:30 am

These are so cute! I know I am far from being in the first three, but had to say that these are great! I am so glad you are back, Kristen! I have been missing your posts! Hugs to you!

• Mrs. C June 8, 2012 at 4:52 am

OM~gosh, I love these to the moon and back. I know you said the 36th comment would be the super winner, right?

• Lita Lita June 8, 2012 at 5:20 am

WOW! How cute! I think the super winner was the 37th comment. LOL

• Tara June 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

Those signs are great! I love the way they pop!!! Super awesome! I love even more that you blogged!!! I've missed you friend!!! I can't believe you're still in school!!! So, you start back in like, um…….November??? LOL. Seems like it would only be fair:) Hang in there, you're almost done:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Katie June 8, 2012 at 10:16 am

I LOVE THEM!!!!!!

Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

• Beth Ann June 8, 2012 at 10:53 am

I LOVE THESE!!!
    Nice job!
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

• Courtney Bartlett June 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Those labels look amazing! What a great idea!

Swimming into Second

• Ms.M June 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

ROFL, I logged on this morning saw the post and ran over here to read. I thought for sure I would be one of the first 3. LOL! No way I am like 40 something. ROFL. Anyway, as always they are fabulous Kristen. How did you make them? Did you make the background black? Did you use a lot of ink? Was it black paper? So curious.

M

• Dawn June 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

LOVE these! Can't wait to try this in my room.

• heather June 8, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I am like Ms. M.. I am so curious on how you made these???
    They are sweet! <3

• Tuyetnga June 8, 2012 at 11:37 pm

really cute!

• Ximena June 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

Again, you have created an amazing idea. Love it!!

• Mrs. Saoud June 9, 2012 at 2:47 am

I love the makeover. The colorful baskets and black/white signs are sharp. It's bananas. Every time I visit and leave a comment, you have like 1,000 more followers. So proud to know and grow with you!

Cheryl~

P.S. With the transition to Kinder… I'll be thinking about a few more changes with the pages. I'll collect my thoughts and contact you. =D

• Kristen June 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm

of course Cheryl!! Contact me whenever. Thanks for the lovely message 🙂

• Gladys June 9, 2012 at 3:25 am

These are just too stinkin' adorable! You have a great eye for design, Kristen! 😉

Gladys

• Buggy In Kindergarten June 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I do like the "flipped" ones much better! Super cute!

• Amanda June 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Love the black signs! I'm your newest follower and a brand new blogger. I would love for you to check out my blog –

Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

• Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Do you ever do any of your signs in Spanish?

• Kristen June 23, 2012 at 2:47 pm

No, I'm sorry! I wish I had more time to do that, but I don't!! :/

• Anonymous July 20, 2012 at 2:08 am

ok these are amazing!!!!

• Unknown July 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I love these! Where are the ones I saw on Pinterest with the sharpened and unsharpened pencils?

• Leslie Creath July 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I have similar crates…how did you attach them to the crates?

• Kristen July 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I always laminate the signs then hot glue them. It holds them on really strongly, but can be removed later if you tug really hard. The hot glue usually peels off (at least from the containers shown above). I hope this helps!

• Joy@Living On Trees July 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Did you use a Cricut to cut the signs into the funky shape?

• Kristen July 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

No, I wish I had one! It's a frame I purchased from the Digital Bake Shop. She's an awesome clipart designer!

• Marci July 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love the neat and bold look of your design. It is fun and efficient. If we are going to spend most of our day in the classroom, it needs to be a fun place.

• Kim Leighton August 4, 2012 at 1:13 am

What is the design shape of the labels? I want to get that shape to make labels and other displays, but I don't know to search for it… Thanks!! 🙂

• Anonymous August 8, 2012 at 5:30 am

Hi Kristen!
    I love all your creative ideas!
    I especially love the font you used on these labels. Would you mind sharing where we can get that font?
    THANKS!

• Kristen August 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

thanks! it's coffee shoppe espresso by Sweet Shoppe Designs–my favorite font…in case you couldn't guess 😉

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram