Contact Paper on Desks and Tables

1. Kristen, it looks so good!!! You're sister is soooooooooo good!
    I wish I had someone helping me out!!!

❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

2. Kristin says:

Yes, I would totally try this but I'd like to enlist your sister for help. Or maybe YOUR sister could have a tutorial with MY sister so that I could run around making lists and hot gluing things, too.
    Your classroom is BEAUTIFUL. I am always in awe of it. I have some of my whiteboards stored in a magazine file holder that way, too, but it's cardboard and brown. Now I'd like a blue wire one. Thank you for that. 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

3. That's a cool idea! I have done it with my old desk years ago and some other odd and end furniture hand-me-downs…but yours looks WAY better! I have desks (not tables), so I don't know what the old principal would say to that! lol
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

4. ~Stephanie says:

Great idea! I make sure to cover my pencil boxes with contact paper each year, but never thought to cover the tables. Food for thought for sure!

~Stephanie

5. Ginger Snaps says:

Your room is so neat, clean, and organized! I need to get it together!

6. Barbara says:

I love it! Thanks very very much for the directions, Kristen. I'm nervous about trying it out, but I'm going to suck it up like a big girl and give it a whirl.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

7. I have never tried using contact paper. It actually kind of scares me to be honest. I think I need to hire your sister to come to Kansas and do my tables!! 🙂

8. This is absolutely fantastic! It really makes those "U-G-L-Y" brown, depressing tables look clean and happy:) I so wish I knew of this idea when I was in the classroom! But then again…I am still having way too much trouble putting that contact paper in my own kitchen drawers. I try so hard to put in on perfect, so I think a table would overwhelm me! My husband gets tired of my perfectionist side and just slaps it on…bubbles and on. Sorry about the babbling…this idea is way cool! I MAY try this when I go back to the classroom. Your room…so tidy! LOVE it!

9. Elizabeth says:

This is so great! When I first started teaching I used to contact paper the large "airplane" desks that I had. Does anyone remember those? They seated two students with a shelf in between. Man, they just dont' make things like they used to…oh well.

Thanks for reminding me of how great this looks. I think I'll look into your vinyl, though. It looks so professional!

Also, thanks for all of the inspiration for the last year. You are one of the reasons that I have started blogging myself.

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

10. Kaitlyn says:

It also works on the walls! I put some contact paper on the cinder blocks (after weekends of trying all types of tape to hold up the bulletin board paper that kept falling down), and my word wall looks great! I also haven't had to climb up on the counter to keep the word wall up!

🙂 Kaitlyn

11. Ms.M says:

You make me laugh with every post. 🙂 Very informative.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

12. WOW. That is awesome. Never would have thought of that! I was lucky enough for my desks this year to have all the same tops (color of brown, I guess), but even so, this would look so great! Except it would take me forever. Wonder what my room mom helpers would think if I asked them to contact paper all the surfaces in my room? HA!

13. Andrea says:

Before I try it I have to ask…does it peel off at the end of the year easily??? 🙂

14. Do you know about how many rolls you used? I have 6 tables to cover?
    Thanks,
    Caroline

15. mtompkins says:

When you peel it off, does it leave a sticky residue that you have to clean like a maniac to get off??? That would be the ONE thing to deter me from trying this. Otherwise, I'd LOVE to give it a try! 🙂

WILD About First Grade!

16. Sophia says:

Great idea! I covered my kidney table with shower board and have thought about doing the same thing with the ugly brown student tables, but this sounds a lot more affordable! How does it hold up to crayon and pencil marks? I can see how my kindergarten kids would destroy the contact paper with all of their supplies. Thanks for the great idea!

17. Kelly says:

I love this! I have a depressingly miss matched classroom that will now get a much needed face lift! Do you stick things to the tops of the table? I replace name tags every 6 weeks (attached with clear contact paper) and I am wondering how that would hold up on top of the covered table tops.
    Here's hoping I don't go nuts covering everything! Thanks!!!

18. Karen says:

You inspired me and I have been adding some contact covered pieces throughout the school year. So much thanks!

I also wanted to share an idea that was a spin off of the blue contact paper. Each nine weeks, I get to pick one boy and one girl to be my Good Citizen. I wanted my students who were picked to have some reward in the room. So I found silver contact paper at Lowe's (the kind used to cover old appliances to look stainless steel) and covered their desks calling them platinum for their platinum behavior. Everyone who walks into my room asks about them and the kids LOVE them. Quite the motivation to be a good citizen to get your desk transformed to platinum.

So thanks for inspiring me!

19. Victoria says:

I am going to try this in my craft room to make a folding table look great. My only concern is cutting the corners. I don't want the fabric to catch on it

20. mbrgriz says:

I ran with your idea and covered my UGLY cabinets. I can say that they are turning out nicely. Thank you for the wonderful idea!!!!!

21. Kristin says:

Just revisiting this post for some inspiration . . . you know. Because of my table situation.
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

22. webervyn says:

Can you tell me what the stuff was that you covered your tables with was called? I've seen one that you paint on by Rustoleum, but it sounds like you stuck it on like contact paper. I have searched online and can't seem to find anything that you don't paint on. I would love to do this, I have the same brown tables you do and was thinking I'd have to paint them, this sounds like a way better option.

23. lvrana says:

You are very brave….my students want to pick at their name tags constantly. I am not sure if I would try the contact paper, despite how very nice yours lo0ks! Great job!!

24. Ms. W says:

Thank you for the inspiration! I now have spiffy looking tables that I've gotten lots of compliments on. Check out my blog post on the transformation.

Upper Grades Are Awesome

25. I can say that they are turning out nicely. Thank you for the wonderful idea!!!!!
    Hotel furniture