DIY: Cheap book display!

February 8, 2011

DIY: Cheap book display!

February 8, 2011
I’m really excited about this one! I’ve been trying to find something for this unused space under my board in our library area. I wanted to get one of those book pocket chart things…but they wouldn’t be able to fit, plus I hate spending too much money. And those gorgeous plastic rain gutters some teachers have–I love those!

But I don’t have a way to rig them up on this kind of wall.

So this weekend, I bought 10 of those clear pocket folders for binders (the sturdy plastic ones). They were in 5 in a pack for about $5.00, I think.

This afternoon, I hot-glued them on the brick wall. I used a dot of glue in each corner and one in the middle. I think it should hold well…I’ll let you know if not! I’ll use Velcro next time if they fall down.

It only took about 8 minutes to do!

It’s pretty cool, because I can fit them in those odd places I have in my room (we DO NOT have a lot of wall space and those pipes covering the electricity run throughout the entire room).

And I love that I can display some books that might not get noticed in our book baskets often.

I stuck one on my back whiteboard too! I thought I could store our latest read aloud there (this horse book is not our read aloud, just a book I stuck in for you to see).

I’m going to get some more to hang under my front whiteboard, to feature books that tie in with our current Science and Social Studies units.

Here’s one more closeup. The pockets can fit pretty large picture books, as well as chapter books.

I’m going to see how much these are utilized by my students…I’m thinking they’d be ideal to feature peer recommendations.

I’ll be making some signs to display above them soon (stay tuned for those!). I think something like…”if you liked this book, check out basket ___.”

We’ll see how it goes!

Thanks for reading and thank you for your lovely comments. Posting is one of my favorite parts of the day (besides blog stalking!). Have a wonderful evening! 🙂

• Katie King February 8, 2011 at 11:05 pm

These are perfect! I want the rain gutters really badly too…can't wait to make these!

• Ms.M February 8, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Oh this is FANTASTIC. I have been looking for a way to do this. I even thought of page protectors, but my books were too thick or heavy. Thank you SOOOOO much!

• Ms. Durning February 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

Very cute!! Do you think the students can handle it without destroying?

• Ladybug Teacher February 9, 2011 at 12:23 am

Thanks ladies!
    Ms. Durning–I think so, I have an awesome class that really takes care of the room this year, so I think they should be good with them (they're a very mature group). If not, I'll switch to Velcro. 🙂

• A. February 9, 2011 at 1:31 am

What a neat idea! What about using them in the hallway to display student work?

• Rachelle February 9, 2011 at 4:20 am

YOU AND YOUR IDEAS ARE AMAZEEEEEE(ING)! 🙂
    -Rachelle

• Colleen February 9, 2011 at 6:16 am

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Ginger Snaps February 12, 2011 at 1:03 am

I love this idea! And it's affordable.

• sailingintofirstgrade February 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I love this idea too! THANKS for sharing it!

• froggycupcakes February 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I love this idea! I will be using it!

• Kristin Young March 9, 2011 at 10:39 pm

THAT IS GENIUS!! I have a matching "clothespin" game I created under my board but my little dears have decided it's more fun to snap the clothespins off than actually use it so I was looking for something else to put there! I hate putting books in my marker tray because it feels cluttered to me…this is great for both problems!! 🙂 Thanks so much!

• Chrissy July 10, 2011 at 2:04 am

Thank you! I found the pic on Pinterest and followed the link. Although I've been a follower for months, I missed these posts. My classroom wall situation is a serious challenge (I've been having anxiety dreams for the last week.) and I am thrilled to see a new option. LOVE your site!

ReadWriteSing

• Mrs. Lamb July 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm

love both these posts about using page protectors! great ideas. Also cannot WAIT to cover my desk in contact paper. I was just complaining to my hubby how ugly it was but I needed it still!
    Rachel

• Kristen July 12, 2011 at 3:46 am

Thanks Rachel!! I would love to see your desks when they are finished! 🙂

• Mrs. Ward July 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I love this idea and everything on your blog. I am slowly creating a blog based on your tutorials, so thanks! Question: Did the hot glue "stick" for the year or did you have to switch to velcro?

• Kristen July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Mrs. Ward! The hot glue did work well, only one fell down 🙂

• Anonymous June 13, 2012 at 12:54 am

I saw in an art magazine a great idea where they used clear sheet protectors and attached them together with small binder rings. They hung it along a wall to quickly change old art work with new art work. I was thinking that this could also work for books or anything even writing to help simplify and help add more wall space in our classrooms.

• Anonymous September 10, 2012 at 1:16 am

Wow thanks for the idea… It gives me a great idea to hold writing paper for the writing table in my classroom.. Not only hold some books but to display my lesson plan for easy access during the day

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram