Author’s Technique Board (printables)

November 5, 2012

Author’s Technique Board (printables)

November 5, 2012
Hi everyone! I’m excited to share a new file with you this evening! And I’m linking up with my very creative friend Tara, over at 4th Grade Frolics for her Monday Made It…
So. This is not my original idea, just something we are using during our study of memoirs in Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop.
In my class, we are calling this our Author’s Technique Board…
(I used some different phrasing on each poster than the original board I learned about…I wanted to incorporate the word “technique” as we studied various elements).
How does it work?
As we read a book, we make observations of techniques used by the author (for instance, similes in Owl Moon).
We then name the technique and discussed why it is used.
We record the current book under “Used in These Books”, leaving space for future titles that have this same technique.
The last category is “Try This Technique”…
This part is left open for students’ names to be added (on sticky notes) when they have tried the technique. Again, not my original idea, but I know this is going to be so helpful for my class during our Writer’s Workshop!
On a final note, I did make the cards small enough to fit on a foam board…
(black to set off the bright, but of course!). I decided to go with this board because, besides the fact I am running out of display space with all of our charts, I love how it’s portable and can be moved to the carpet during mini-lessons, or to groups of students when needed.
If you would like to download a copy of this free file, please click on the image below. Please Note: This file is for personal use only…the posters are not meant to be recolored or altered in any way–thanks!
What kinds of displays do you like to use when studying authors’ techniques? Thanks so much for visiting!! 🙂

• Angela November 5, 2012 at 10:15 pm

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

• Tara November 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm

These are beautiful and so resourceful!!! You are awesome as usual!!! Miss chatting with ya! Thanks for linking up:)))

4th Grade Frolics

• Emily November 5, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Great job! Thank you for sharing!

Emily

• Lita Lita November 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Love them! Your designs are just so beautiful!

• Liliris November 6, 2012 at 12:37 am

I love your author's technique posters. They turned out amazing!

Liliris
    Fourth Grade Garden

• Diane R November 6, 2012 at 12:39 am

These are great! Thanks so much!

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• ~DeAnne~ November 6, 2012 at 1:46 am

So not teaching related, but I LOVE the ring!
    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

• Hooty November 6, 2012 at 2:51 am

I LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing!

Hooty
    Hooty's Homeroom

• Kirsten November 6, 2012 at 5:17 am

This is a great idea! I have a small bulletin board that this would fit great on!
    Kirsten
    Pure Joy

• Jennie November 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thank you for sharing these! We just finished an author study of Patricia Polacco so we will be adding some of her techniques to this board right away.
    What a great way to help the kids improve their writing!

• Runde's Room November 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

That is such a fantastic idea! And I LOVE that it can be portable, too. Thank-you so much, Kristen,

Jen
    Runde's Room

• Michelle November 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I LOVE this! I just found out this week that I will be starting my student teaching come January! This is definitely going on my project list to put together before then! Thank you so much Kristen for always taking the time to share these wonderful ideas! I am packed and ready for my student teaching with so much information I have learned from you! This newbie so appreciates you!!!

Michelle

• ~Stephanie November 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm

These are great Kristen! I love how you have made the board portable…will definitely be including this in my room 🙂

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Rachel Mack November 6, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Love! I can't wait to make and display this board!

-Rachek
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Elizabeth November 7, 2012 at 2:23 am

Such a great idea, Kristen. I love how you mounted it on foam board so that it is portable. I'm going to have to "borrow" that idea, too. Love the ring, too 😉

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Ms.M November 7, 2012 at 11:43 pm

You know my district has a few lessons like this in our writing curriculum but with different language obviously. They make it an anchor chart and it is always kind of blah. This has so much pizzazz I love it. The only difference I would make would be to add a picture of the text/ front cover for my little kids that can't read.

Love the portable board deal. I do some of that during the year with some of our theme stuff. It's wonderful to be able to move and tuck away if needed.

Your so brilliant. 🙂 Miss chatting my friend. Hope to catch up with you soon.
    M

• YoungTeacherLove November 8, 2012 at 2:44 am

What a great idea! I do so many mini-lessons with Reading Workshop and am struggling to manage the cafe board. I feel like my kids don't use it either. This is so much easier, as it really puts it out there for kids to USE the strategies, since the transfer from lessons in reading barely show up in my kids' writing. Thanks so much for sharing!

YoungTeacherLove 5th Grade Blog

• Mrs Cupcake November 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I love your style, Kristen!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Annie Moffatt November 9, 2012 at 7:50 am

Everything you do is so PERFECT, Kristen! And two more comments…1) LOVE that ring in the picture;) 2) Your pictures are absolutely AMAZING…as always!
    The Moffatt Girls

• Rachelle November 11, 2012 at 5:41 pm

WOW, it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I can't stop looking at it. 🙂

• Mary Hall November 19, 2012 at 2:29 am

These signs are AWESOME!! I have a favor to ask…our district uses the word "craft" instead of "technique". Would you mind making a set with "crafts"? I would pay you for it! 🙂

Thanks for sharing your wonderful products,
    Mary Hall Lester
    maryh.lester@hotmail.cpm

• Techie Santillana February 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I love all of your stuff!!! So beautiful:)

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram