Cleaning & Organizing Signs (Monday Made It)

June 4, 2013

Cleaning & Organizing Signs (Monday Made It)

June 4, 2013
Well, I’m afraid this is not a very exciting Monday Made It compared to some things I have planned for this summer…but I do have something that helped me a lot today and I wanted to share it with you.
I’m linking up with Tara for one of my absolute favorite parts of summer…

I have been doing a ton of organizing lately as our year winds down. I know I’ve mentioned how I’m working very hard towards my goal of a more digital classroom. Because of this, I’ve been getting rid of a lot of files and papers I no longer use.
Actually, not getting rid of, but scanning, donating, or recycling!
That’s where these little signs come in! These were a huge help as I cleaned and sorted for two hours after school today (had to take advantage of a slightly-less-hot-than-usual day!).
I just had to print, cut, then set up areas for each pile…
After I sorted and cleaned, I used the Free! sign to advertise my items up for donation in the teachers’ room.
I know many of you are out of school, but I would like to share these signs…just in case they can ever be of use. Please click on the image below to download if interested:

What are you up to right now? Cleaning, organizing, creating…or just relaxing? I hope your week is off to a nice start!

• Heather Temske June 4, 2013 at 12:41 am

Sometimes the simple ideas can be the best. Thanks for sharing.

Heather
    room 4 imagination

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts June 4, 2013 at 12:45 am

Love this!! It reminds me of the HGTV shows with the different piles 🙂 Leave it to you to take a tedious task and cutesify (not even a word, I know) it to make it fun 🙂 🙂

Happy sorting!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Emily June 4, 2013 at 1:00 am

Thank you!

• Elizabeth Supan June 4, 2013 at 1:19 am

Oh my goodness, every single time I come here to visit your fantastic blog, I think "So smart!" Yet again, I will be downloading this freebie to help me sort and purge! Thank you, friend!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Ms.M June 4, 2013 at 2:22 am

Nice! I will print in multiple colors and share with some neighbors. Love it.
    Mels

• Stephanie June 4, 2013 at 2:40 am

I love these signs. So simple, yet practical. Things to scan? Oh boy it wasn't that long ago that that pile didn't even exist. Times sure are changing. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

• Exploring Elementary June 4, 2013 at 2:42 am

I love these signs! ESP the SCAN one! So creative! So useful!

🙂 Carmen

Exploring Elementary
    Fourth Grade

• ~Stephanie June 4, 2013 at 3:16 am

GREAT idea! Simple ideas are always the best 🙂

As for what I am doing….well, I am in school for 4 more days. Then, I am a free woman (who can relax on my couch, until my own children come in wanting to do something 😉 )

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Anne June 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

Tis is perfect, as I just found out I will be moving rooms and grade levels! Not sure I'm up for scanning yet, maybe someday… 🙂

• Tara June 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

Such a great idea:) I needed this about a week ago. Then maybe I would have organized and cleaned as I packed up, a little better. I had good intentions and then it got later and later and I got more and more "over it"…lol. It's not super bad but it could have been better. You ideas are always the best:) Thanks for linking up:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Nicole Bivona June 5, 2013 at 1:23 am

Thanks! I have tons to sort!

• Jennifer Smith-Sloane June 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm

So simple, yet so cute! Love these!

Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

• Gladys June 10, 2013 at 2:32 am

Kristen..I am in love with these little signs…thanks for making my piles so much cuter and fun! 😉

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram