No Longer Numberless! (Tracking Student Papers)

February 25, 2013

No Longer Numberless! (Tracking Student Papers)

February 25, 2013
This has been a year of numbers for me.

Student numbers, that is.

I decided this past summer (after seeing so many smart teacher-bloggers doing the same) that I would use this system for my class.

And it has been an excellent organizational tool!

There’s only been one little problem with the numbers actually…or perhaps I should say lack of numbers. You know, the ones forgotten on the student papers? I understand that these things can be forgotten easily. But I need those numbers!

So I decided to fine-tune our system. Numbers are now required in the top, right-hand corner of the page (this makes it easier for me to see them as I flip through the stack).
And they must be highlighted:
It really takes just a quick second for my students to do this, since highlighters are always accessible at their tables…
Why highlight the numbers?
  • The numbers are easily seen amongst all the pencil on the paper.
  • Papers can be sorted into order before correcting.
  • Scores can be entered quickly, as the papers are in order.
  • Missing work can be identified quickly.
I realize a system such as this always calls for a helpful sign, so I made a little reminder for each basket we use.
This is a good visual reminder for my newest students to the country, as well as those who sometimes forget these things…I mean we are in 5th grade and these things happen, right?
(my room’s not all pink, by the way, I have other colors as well!)
This is one of those little tricks that has made my collecting-grading-recording life SO much easier. So I wanted to share it with my dearest friends!
If you would like to try something similar, please feel free to use the sign below (clicking on the picture will bring you to the direct download)…

What techniques do you have for organizing student work?

• Diane R February 25, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I used to do something almost exactly like this. It got to the point where I had the student numbers memorized, so they really didn't need to write them! But now that I'm not self-contained anymore, I decided to do away with the numbers. It was just too confusing for 3 different class lists. So now I use a little cover sheet for each assignment. It's a spreadsheet with a class list and two small columns following the column of names. I can fit four to a sheet. Anyway as I'm collecting papers, I check off the first column. I can also write in that column if the student was absent, if the assignment was late, etc. Then I paperclip the papers together with the cover strip on top. When I get around to grading it, then their score goes in the second column. At the very top in the blank space, I write the assignment details (name, points possible, due date). When I go to enter grades, all the information is right there and they are all in order. I can ever hand back the checked paper before entering the grades into the computer, if I want. It has really worked well this year, and it has avoided my biggest pet peeve of the numbering system… A NEW STUDENT! They always have a last name at the beginning of the alphabet :/

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Diane R February 25, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Wow! That was really long. Sorry!

• Kristen February 25, 2013 at 11:02 pm

No, don't apologize, I loved reading what you do! I like how you have the place to check off the work and then put the grade. I am with you on that pet peeve–why is that ALWAYS the case??

• The Wild Rumpus February 25, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I live by the #'s, and this is such a smart way to do it. Thank you for the sign!

• Leslie @KindergartenWorks February 26, 2013 at 12:54 am

Wish I could figure out how to do this in kindergarten… gosh , if only they didn't have to learn to read names 😉 Great signs. Love the pink in the color mix too. Just sayin'

-Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

• Lisa K February 26, 2013 at 1:36 am

What a great idea! I have my students numbered but I am not very consistent about using it. I may have to make this a goal for next year! Thanks for the great freebie! I love everything that you have created 🙂

• Joanne Miller February 26, 2013 at 2:38 am

Thanks for the sign! I've always used numbers, but never highlighted! How simple!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

• Kristin February 26, 2013 at 4:43 am

You are amazing. I love it. ALL OF IT!!!
    I'm not that good with the student number thing, but I do it. And most of the time I have to say, "Who's number 26?" And no one knows so we have to go look it up.
    Oh well.
    I know their names, at least.
    Most of the time.

• Elizabeth February 26, 2013 at 11:02 am

What a great system! I use numbers in my classroom, too. Just not as efficiently as you:) I really need to do a better job of insisting that they use their numbers. It would then make my job a whole lot easier!! I love this sign. This will certainly help:)

• Caralee DeHerrera February 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Love your signs…actually, I really just love all of your products and posts!! Thank you for being such an asset to so many teachers!!

Caralee
    Confessions of a Teachanista

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron February 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

ok – so my kids all have numbers and they have to number ALL their papers in the right hand corner too!! that way I can make sure EVERYONE has their papers turned in…it's brilliant!! 🙂 Best system EVER!!!

• Debbie February 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love reading about how other teachers do things. I also use the number system and when students turn their homework into a collection box or folder I also have them place the homework in number order. Whala…. in order and ready to grade–makes me smile 🙂

Debbie

• Doodlin'@6thGrade February 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Love the sign! Thanks so much for sharing. What program do you use to create your stuff?

• Kristen March 2, 2013 at 12:57 am

Thanks!! I mostly use ppt!

• Stacy Schwab March 1, 2013 at 3:53 am

We NUMBER everything in Room 202. Materials are numbered so when I find them on the floor I know who to return them to. We use numbers for partnering and assigning roles and such. It's such a simple concept, but you get so much leverage out of it. Love the highlighting requirement. That would help my included LS kids, I think. ~Stacy @ http://new-in-room-202.blogspot.com

• Renee Living Laughing Loving March 6, 2013 at 12:04 am

Love numbering! I have a homework/assignment crate with a numbered hanging folder for each student. They turn in work to the crate putting their papers in their number folder. When I unload the crate, I make stacks of everything and it's all magically in order. It also means there is no mystery about those no name papers. 🙂

When we are doing a class assignment and are turning in papers all at one time, I have them pass their papers to the row/group leader. The group leader is responsible for putting them in number order and bringing them to me. Then I have 4 to 5 stacks that are each in number order and just need to be merged together.

Saves so much time when you think about how many stacks of papers we are sorting each week!

Love your blog, btw!

• Ms.M from Teachingisagift March 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm

LOVE numbering! Started doing it this year and it has worked wonders…even the French teacher at my school started using it…she looked at me the other day and said "Why haven't YOU ALWAYS done this?" I had to laugh, we are both a tad OCD. I think the highlighting idea is great…I'm going to start that after spring break…never too late to teach them something different. My only ACK moment happened when I read the comment about NEW students…I NEVER thought of that! What do you do with the numbers then? Would you add him/her to the end of the list? What do you do?

• lcooney March 20, 2013 at 12:52 am

I number my students too. I then use lots of evens and odds for taking turns, lining up, making teams, and etc. It really helps me keep things straight in my mind a lot better!:)

• Do you and your colleagues use a team drive in school?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My teammate set one up for us last year and it is the best! We can store all of our standards, assessments, field trip forms, lesson ideas...so many things to keep us all on track.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only part I don’t love?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There’s no option to color code folders the way you can in your personal google drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But...there is a different way to make the folders stand out and easy to find! I just added an emoji to each one to make everything a little more visual.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It’s really easy to do and it adds a little pop of color to make those gray folders easier to navigate! I put the link to an emoji site in my profile, in case you’d like to try this on your computer (https://emojipedia.org).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing some google fonts that would make awesome titles for different units!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The name for each font is in parentheses. To add the fonts to your docs and slides go to font, choose “more fonts...”, type in the name of the font you would like, select it, and then click ok!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Would you like to find more fun google fonts? If you go to the google fonts site you can search over 900 different fonts for your drive! I added the link to the site in my profile if you’d like to try it out (https://fonts.google.com).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite fonts for titles in google? Mine is Oswald Bold!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Using Google Slides for field trip groups this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is was one of those 🤦‍♀️ moments for me this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀In the past, I would ALWAYS fly into work on the day of a field trip and frantically write chaperone names and student groups on the whiteboard...while thinking of all the other things I had to do that morning before we left. Very stressful.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year, I started setting up a Google slide with my chaperone names and student groups the night before. I just add a little photo of our destination for interest, then make squares for “sticky notes” with all of the group information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves so much time on the morning of the field trip...I just turn on the tv and display the slide for my students (and parents!) as they come into class. It frees me up for other last minute details I need to do before we leave...and it spares my chaperones from my awful writing on the board!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Slightly related: the second pic is our destination this week and it is usually a blast to see my city kids in the forest!! But it’s supposed to be 36 degrees and raining that day, uggghhhhh.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to organize your field trips? Do you have any tips we can learn from you?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #googleslides #googledrive #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Mother’s Day trinket trays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This was such a fun and easy project! I found several tutorials on Pinterest for this craft. We used mason jar lids (two for each student...and they could make them for anyone they would like to celebrate: mothers, grandmothers, aunts, fathers).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We painted the outer and inner rims of the lids. Then we traced a template and cut out circles of scrapbook paper to place inside the bottom of the mason jar lid.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀SO easy and my students were really proud of their gifts for their families!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please swipe if you’d like to see more of their designs...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#mothersdaycraft #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • The best thing I have done for myself this school year?Well, it’s really thanks to my sister @fashioncrazelearningdays. We were on spring break and she suggested deleting our gmail apps on our phones, so we wouldn’t be tempted to check work email while on vacation.And I felt so free!! I mean, I feel like I am CONSTANTLY checking my work email...in line at the grocery store, waiting for dinner to finish cooking, right before I go to sleep (never good to do that).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So even though I’m back from break, I’ve left my app off of my phone. I check my email frequently at school and throughout the evening when I work on my computer.But it’s such a relief to know when I power off my laptop, the email checking is done for the day too.It helps wrap up a work day that could truly never end...and I know you all know what I mean!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Is this something you already do? Do you have any ways you like to make the job have an ending each day? Please share with us!#teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Google Drive shortcuts!!! Ok, this one is really awesome.So it turns out there are a ton of shortcuts to save you time when navigating through your docs! If you click on a doc in your Drive, then use one of the keyboard shortcuts, it will get you moving, creating, and sharing even faster!Here are a few examples:You can click enter or o to open your doc, p to preview it before opening, . to share, and n to rename!! (These are my faves!). To access all of the shortcuts, head to the gear at the top right hand side of your Drive. Then choose “keyboard shortcuts” and you can see all the keys you can use to save time!What’s your favorite Google Drive shortcut?#google #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram