No Longer Numberless! (Tracking Student Papers)

February 25, 2013

No Longer Numberless! (Tracking Student Papers)

February 25, 2013
This has been a year of numbers for me.

Student numbers, that is.

I decided this past summer (after seeing so many smart teacher-bloggers doing the same) that I would use this system for my class.

And it has been an excellent organizational tool!

There’s only been one little problem with the numbers actually…or perhaps I should say lack of numbers. You know, the ones forgotten on the student papers? I understand that these things can be forgotten easily. But I need those numbers!

So I decided to fine-tune our system. Numbers are now required in the top, right-hand corner of the page (this makes it easier for me to see them as I flip through the stack).
And they must be highlighted:
It really takes just a quick second for my students to do this, since highlighters are always accessible at their tables…
Why highlight the numbers?
  • The numbers are easily seen amongst all the pencil on the paper.
  • Papers can be sorted into order before correcting.
  • Scores can be entered quickly, as the papers are in order.
  • Missing work can be identified quickly.
I realize a system such as this always calls for a helpful sign, so I made a little reminder for each basket we use.
This is a good visual reminder for my newest students to the country, as well as those who sometimes forget these things…I mean we are in 5th grade and these things happen, right?
(my room’s not all pink, by the way, I have other colors as well!)
This is one of those little tricks that has made my collecting-grading-recording life SO much easier. So I wanted to share it with my dearest friends!
If you would like to try something similar, please feel free to use the sign below (clicking on the picture will bring you to the direct download)…

What techniques do you have for organizing student work?

• Diane R February 25, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I used to do something almost exactly like this. It got to the point where I had the student numbers memorized, so they really didn't need to write them! But now that I'm not self-contained anymore, I decided to do away with the numbers. It was just too confusing for 3 different class lists. So now I use a little cover sheet for each assignment. It's a spreadsheet with a class list and two small columns following the column of names. I can fit four to a sheet. Anyway as I'm collecting papers, I check off the first column. I can also write in that column if the student was absent, if the assignment was late, etc. Then I paperclip the papers together with the cover strip on top. When I get around to grading it, then their score goes in the second column. At the very top in the blank space, I write the assignment details (name, points possible, due date). When I go to enter grades, all the information is right there and they are all in order. I can ever hand back the checked paper before entering the grades into the computer, if I want. It has really worked well this year, and it has avoided my biggest pet peeve of the numbering system… A NEW STUDENT! They always have a last name at the beginning of the alphabet :/

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Diane R February 25, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Wow! That was really long. Sorry!

• Kristen February 25, 2013 at 11:02 pm

No, don't apologize, I loved reading what you do! I like how you have the place to check off the work and then put the grade. I am with you on that pet peeve–why is that ALWAYS the case??

• The Wild Rumpus February 25, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I live by the #'s, and this is such a smart way to do it. Thank you for the sign!

• Leslie @KindergartenWorks February 26, 2013 at 12:54 am

Wish I could figure out how to do this in kindergarten… gosh , if only they didn't have to learn to read names 😉 Great signs. Love the pink in the color mix too. Just sayin'

-Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

• Lisa K February 26, 2013 at 1:36 am

What a great idea! I have my students numbered but I am not very consistent about using it. I may have to make this a goal for next year! Thanks for the great freebie! I love everything that you have created 🙂

• Joanne Miller February 26, 2013 at 2:38 am

Thanks for the sign! I've always used numbers, but never highlighted! How simple!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

• Kristin February 26, 2013 at 4:43 am

You are amazing. I love it. ALL OF IT!!!
    I'm not that good with the student number thing, but I do it. And most of the time I have to say, "Who's number 26?" And no one knows so we have to go look it up.
    Oh well.
    I know their names, at least.
    Most of the time.

• Elizabeth February 26, 2013 at 11:02 am

What a great system! I use numbers in my classroom, too. Just not as efficiently as you:) I really need to do a better job of insisting that they use their numbers. It would then make my job a whole lot easier!! I love this sign. This will certainly help:)

• Caralee DeHerrera February 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Love your signs…actually, I really just love all of your products and posts!! Thank you for being such an asset to so many teachers!!

Caralee
    Confessions of a Teachanista

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron February 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

ok – so my kids all have numbers and they have to number ALL their papers in the right hand corner too!! that way I can make sure EVERYONE has their papers turned in…it's brilliant!! 🙂 Best system EVER!!!

• Debbie February 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love reading about how other teachers do things. I also use the number system and when students turn their homework into a collection box or folder I also have them place the homework in number order. Whala…. in order and ready to grade–makes me smile 🙂

Debbie

• Doodlin'@6thGrade February 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Love the sign! Thanks so much for sharing. What program do you use to create your stuff?

• Kristen March 2, 2013 at 12:57 am

Thanks!! I mostly use ppt!

• Stacy Schwab March 1, 2013 at 3:53 am

We NUMBER everything in Room 202. Materials are numbered so when I find them on the floor I know who to return them to. We use numbers for partnering and assigning roles and such. It's such a simple concept, but you get so much leverage out of it. Love the highlighting requirement. That would help my included LS kids, I think. ~Stacy @ http://new-in-room-202.blogspot.com

• Renee Living Laughing Loving March 6, 2013 at 12:04 am

Love numbering! I have a homework/assignment crate with a numbered hanging folder for each student. They turn in work to the crate putting their papers in their number folder. When I unload the crate, I make stacks of everything and it's all magically in order. It also means there is no mystery about those no name papers. 🙂

When we are doing a class assignment and are turning in papers all at one time, I have them pass their papers to the row/group leader. The group leader is responsible for putting them in number order and bringing them to me. Then I have 4 to 5 stacks that are each in number order and just need to be merged together.

Saves so much time when you think about how many stacks of papers we are sorting each week!

Love your blog, btw!

• Ms.M from Teachingisagift March 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm

LOVE numbering! Started doing it this year and it has worked wonders…even the French teacher at my school started using it…she looked at me the other day and said "Why haven't YOU ALWAYS done this?" I had to laugh, we are both a tad OCD. I think the highlighting idea is great…I'm going to start that after spring break…never too late to teach them something different. My only ACK moment happened when I read the comment about NEW students…I NEVER thought of that! What do you do with the numbers then? Would you add him/her to the end of the list? What do you do?

• lcooney March 20, 2013 at 12:52 am

I number my students too. I then use lots of evens and odds for taking turns, lining up, making teams, and etc. It really helps me keep things straight in my mind a lot better!:)

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram