Testing Sign!

September 30, 2012

Testing Sign!

September 30, 2012
Happy Sunday everyone!! I hope you’ve all had a lovely fall weekend!
We will be starting state testing tomorrow morning (we currently test on the previous year of learning, though that will be changing in the future).
So…I made a new sign for our door and wanted to share it with you, in case you can use it at some point this year.
It can be downloaded for free in either of my shops…

I’ll be laminating and saving this sign since we also have assessments for our English Language Learners in the late winter.

When do you have testing?

• Lita Lita September 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm

We have tests every two weeks! Starting tomorrow, Beautiful sign!

• Anonymous September 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

All the time – it seems like that is all we do!!! AIMS Web, F&P, vocabulary, running records etc for first grade!!!

• Kimberly Santana September 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm

ALL.THE.DANG.TIME! It seems never ending!! Love the sign, it's too cute- as always.

Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

• Ms.M September 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I love this! Thank you. BTW, I am so going to share with the rest of my school. 🙂

M

• 4321Teach September 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Love the sign! Looks much better than the Microsoft clipart version they give us.
    Testing in the fall on the previous year, hopefully it's not a state assessment! We take district assessments 3 times a year, in reading and math. We take a Science and Social Studies district assessment at the end of each year. Our state assessment is in April. Happy its the end of April for this school year. Buys me more time to teach after Spring Break.

EmilyK

• YoungTeacherLove September 30, 2012 at 11:21 pm

We do our assessments on students' learning from the previous year as well, and our assessments are in 2 weeks. We have been prepping for them since the first day of school. This sign will be PERFECT!! Thanks so much sharing Kristen! 🙂

YoungTeacherLove 5th Grade Blog

• Katie Smith September 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Darling . . . as usual! I love your style! Thanks so much for all the amazing things you share for free!
    Katie
    I Want to be a Super Teacher

• Traci October 1, 2012 at 12:04 am

We seem to always have assessments going on…. but we don't assess prior year stuff… that sounds like a lot of extra work!
    Thanks for the sign. It's gorgeous. As always!
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

• Ximena October 1, 2012 at 1:42 am

Thank you for the sign. Our testing is coming up soon, and I will give the sign to my team as gift. I hope you are having a great year!!

• Sara Soucy October 1, 2012 at 1:51 am

I love the testing sign! Our district starts testing tomorrow too. Luckily, my second graders don't have to take it. Our schedule does get a little up-ended, though, because the rest of the school is testing. Good luck!

Sara 🙂
    Smiling In Second Grade

• Mrs. Cupcake October 1, 2012 at 1:56 am

Adorable!!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Miss Nelson October 1, 2012 at 2:29 am

Wow! I love this sign. We do not do testing except for Discovery Education on the computer but I'm in 2nd grade. I'll use this great sign for classroom assessments.
    Thanks again!

Miss Nelson’s Got the Camera!

• Molly October 1, 2012 at 5:46 am

Cute sign!! We start testing next week and they have pre-made signs they give us, but yours is much cuter so I may have to put it up as well! Then I will have both doors covered! 🙂

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• Mrs. M October 1, 2012 at 7:38 am

Love it! Thanks so much!

• jamie Hoisman October 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Great sign!! We do our state testing in the late spring, about a month or so before the end of the year. Good luck to your kids today!! Thanks for sharing your sign-so cute!

• luckeyfrog October 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thanks! Our testing happens mostly in the Spring, but because of the length of time it takes to grade things, it's spread out in the Spring. Feels like we are testing through the whole Spring, from M-O-Y assessments to E-O-Y!

Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

• Elizabeth October 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Well, of course you created the cutest testing sing possible. (Who knew a testing sign could be cute?)

Hoping your testing is still going OK.

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• teaching fashionista October 5, 2012 at 12:52 am

Cutest Sign

• teaching fashionista October 5, 2012 at 12:53 am

Hi Kristen! Love that you are blogging during the week! Hope you enjoy your nice long weekend!

• teaching fashionista October 5, 2012 at 12:53 am

• Bilingual Scrapbook October 9, 2012 at 3:06 am

Lovely! Thank you so much!
    Alexa
    bilingualscrapbook.blogspot.com

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram