SyllabiKicks…A syllabication card game!

March 9, 2012

SyllabiKicks…A syllabication card game!

March 9, 2012
Happy Friday everyone! I am so glad it is the weekend and I can get lost in the blogs again!
This evening, I wanted to tell you about a new game series I made for my class. It’s loosely based on Snowflake Syllables, which my students really enjoyed. I wanted to build upon that game and make one that would serve a couple of purposes–with some cool shoes (great shoes are always in order, right?)!

I know I have mentioned this before in past posts, but since my students are older English Language Learners, we focus a great deal on the parts of words in our spelling, rather than teaching spelling sounds from the beginning primary-age levels. This focus on syllables and the sounds in each word part really helps my students learn and remember the spelling of words closer to their true grade level, regardless of their language/reading level.

So, keeping that in mind, I made a new game series to focus heavily on word features and work on several skills at once.

These games:

• focus on common spelling categories
  • expand upon these categories using various words, but within the same categories
  • enable students to focus on individual syllable sounds and combine them to build larger words
  • require students to differentiate between similar sounds and choose the correct syllable (Examples: -sion, tion…-gle, -gel, -gal…-dle, -del, -dal)

Here’s how it works…All cards are designed to look like playing cards. Each card features one syllable of a particular word.

The numbers on the cards signify how many syllables are within that word.

Cards with the black shoes don’t have numbers. They are the ending syllable of each word.

In the example shown to the right, students must decide if the word ends in -sion or -tion.

These games are played much like Go Fish. The cards are distributed and players must ask others for a particular syllable, to help form a word. The player with the most words formed at the end wins.

The -sion, -tion version of this series has 100 cards in all, featuring 30 words (I don’t use all of the words within a game because of time restraints…but I do like to offer lots of choices!). We use some of the words in one game, then the rest of the words in another.

Here’s a peek at some of the pages included in the -sion, -tion version. I have posted it in my Teacher’s Notebook shop for $2.50. If you are interested in seeing more, you can hop over by clicking on the image below.

My class hasn’t had the chance to play the -sion, -tion version yet (I can’t wait for that one!). We have played another version though: the -al, -el, and -le version! This version has 60 cards in all, featuring 24 words and is also in my shop. It can be seen by clicking the preview below…
As many of my bloggy friends have done, I would like to offer a game set to the first three readers who leave a comment here. If you would like a free copy of SyllabiKicks, please leave a comment below with the following:

1. Which game you’d like (-sion, -tion endings or -al, -el, -le endings).
2. Your email address so I can send it along.

Thank you for visiting my blog! I hope to talk to many of you soon around the blogs this weekend!!

• Lisa K March 9, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I would love this!

Lisa
    Lnguyen2002@hotmail.com

• Lisa K March 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I was trying to be fast and forgot to add that I would like the -sion/-tion game. 🙂

• Jen Sykes (Hello Mrs. Sykes) March 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I would love to use the -al, -el, -le endings game! So cute!!

Jen
    hellomrssykes(at)gmail(dot)com
    Hello Mrs Sykes

• katherine. March 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Oh this would be so fabulous for my ELL kiddos! I'd love the -tion/-sion game, as all my third graders could benefit from practicing that sound!

Thanks for the chance to win!!

katherine
    katherine.loiry (at) gmail (dot) com
    Third Grade Teacher Files

• Tara March 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm
  • Tara March 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Ok, poo…I was typing fast too to try and get into the top three:/ That games looks adorable and the shoes are too cute!!! Awesome job Kristen:)

• Jen March 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Oh darn, I just missed it. This would have been perfect for my 4th grade struggling readers.
    jjn2home@yahoo.com

• Gladys March 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This looks great! Love the shoes…they totally look like Chucks! 🙂

• Miss C March 10, 2012 at 12:54 am

Soooo jealous that I missed it!!!! Would be perfect to help my kids with syllable review right before our big test next week!!! 🙁 I wish I could have the -sion, -tion version!!!!

Oh well!!! Loooove all of the things you share with us!!!

Liza C
    lizacteach@gmail.com

• Katie and Steve March 10, 2012 at 1:08 am

I just purchased both of your syllable games and I am SO excited to use them with some of my high first graders. I just started using REWARDS…Have you ever tried it????

Katie
    TwoCanDoIt.Blogspot.com
    ReadingResource.net

• Kristen March 10, 2012 at 1:10 am

Oh thank you so much Katie!! I would love to know what you think about them. I haven't used REWARDS before, is it a spelling program? Thanks again! 🙂

• Lisa Howard March 10, 2012 at 1:51 am

this looks gorgeous, creative, and fun!!

– Lisa
    a teachers bag of tricks

• Brittney Canezaro March 10, 2012 at 2:36 am

Hi! New to blogging here! A little overwhelmed but just love your stuff and plan to follow! Thanks for being an awesome inspiration!
    Brittney
    thefirstgradebuzzbc

• KRISTA March 10, 2012 at 3:48 am

These look awesome! I love the idea.

Krista
    stellar-students

• KRISTA March 10, 2012 at 3:49 am

These look awesome! I love the idea.

Krista
    stellar-students

• ~Stephanie March 10, 2012 at 4:31 am

Darn! Missed it 🙁 Wonderful idea…thank you for sharing.

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Ms.M March 10, 2012 at 5:30 am

Kristen you rock. 🙂 It looks fab. Hope to hear from you soon.

• Kristin March 10, 2012 at 5:45 am

Looks amazing!!! I bet your kids LOVE playing it!
    Have a great weekend!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• A Teacher's Treasure March 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

You make the CUTEST stinking units!!!!! It's a gift! I'm envious of your designing talents 🙂

Hope you have a great weekend!!!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• skunkzgrl March 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Looks Great! Love the idea for older ESL students….definitely going to purchase them….too bad I wasn't quick enough to win a set…..Thanks for all your great work!

Lisa
    pebblz708@aol.com

• Ms. Patterson March 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Hi, I was watching one of your tutorials about numbering post on comments it didn't seem to work for me. I know that blogger has added a response to comments which may throw the numbering off but is there another way that I can add numbering to my comments?

Pocket Full of Kinders

• Ms. Brooks March 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I would love the -sion/-tion game! This is perfect for my students! Thank you!

Kristen

Kabrooks23@gmail.com

• aunt shimmy March 11, 2012 at 3:09 am

I would love the -sion/-tion game! You are one of my favorite bloggers!!!! You give me ideas and motivate me ! Thanks!
    sharon.washington96@yahoo.com

• Michelle Tsivgadellis March 11, 2012 at 3:52 am

How wonderfully creative!!!

Michelle

The 3AM Teacher

• AnnFM March 11, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hello! Thanks for sharing it! I would like -sion/-tion version. Thanks in advance!

annabelitis@hotmail.com

• Anonymous March 13, 2012 at 10:27 am

I would love sion/tion!
    Thanks,
    Melissa

poiisen@aol.com

• Tracy March 14, 2012 at 8:56 am

New to your blog. Love your stuff. I would like -al,-el,-le endings.
    tracybarnett123@yahoo.com
    God Bless.

• Anonymous March 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

tion/sion would be awesome. These are great thank you…
    jbollman8@yahoo.com

• Anonymous March 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hi I would like to see… need new ideas to be implemented for RTI…

bafonso@tufsd.org

• Mrs. Boone March 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I would love the ion/tion game.
    Here's my email:
    akboone@gmail.com
    Thanks so much!
    Alison

• Anonymous April 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

tion/sion and al/el/le would both be fab if possible? Thank you! Fab site 🙂

mad_mick90@hotmail.com

• lwm2828 April 4, 2012 at 1:59 am

I would love to use the -sion , -tion ending game with the kids in my class . I work with dyslexic kids.

1965lwm@gmail.com

• lwm2828 April 4, 2012 at 1:59 am

1965lwm@gmail.com

• Anonymous May 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I would love the -sion and -tion ending game. My 8th graders will enjoy it just as much as the younger ones.
    Thanks so much!
    Adelyn
    elliott_a@dragon.k12.pa.us

• Miss Michelle May 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I would love all of the games! I teach k-12

michelle.rowles@aiu3.net

• Anonymous May 18, 2012 at 4:52 pm
  • Anonymous May 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I'm a reading therapist and would love a copy of the -tion/-sion game, unless I could get both!!!!

lkbock@sbcglobal.net
    Lindsay

• Anonymous July 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Just discovered your blog. Fantastic ideas. Cute graphics. I would love a copy of your Syllabikicks card game! ckidd@nmusd.us

• Kir5tyC July 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

Am I too late to get this?? Would love ALL of this game if possible. You do a fantastic job here. I'm new and loving it.
    kirsty81@live.com.au

• Anonymous July 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Wow! These are great!!! Not sure if I am too late for these either but I would love a copy of your game as well!! I am also new to your blog but will be absolutely sure to sing your praises!!! 🙂
    Mrsmilberg@gmail.com

• DSTeacher August 12, 2012 at 12:21 am

Amazing! And fun!!!! I would love both the games
    daniellesilveira@sbcglobal.net
    you are amazing

• Anonymous August 12, 2012 at 11:53 pm

LoVe your blog! I would like both please 🙂

Thank YOU!

Kelly

brophke79@aol

• Anonymous August 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I am following you because I am trying CAFE this year. Very excited. I would love both of these games since we are also using the new Common Core standards and have to teach syllables and phonics. reardencaroline@hotmail.com
    Love your blog!!!!
    Thanks for all you offer!
    Caroline

• Anonymous August 24, 2012 at 1:46 am

I hope it is not too late to order both games. Please contact me at azucker@wcpss.net. Thank You!!

• Kristen August 24, 2012 at 3:08 am

I'm sorry, the games were just for the first three to respond!

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram