To Do (before the first day of school)!

July 1, 2013

To Do (before the first day of school)!

July 1, 2013
I’m joining my friend Lorraine from Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies for her To Do list linky because, well, I’m getting a bit scattered these days. It’s inevitable when I have too much time on my hands and too many projects…you know what I mean, right?

Hopefully this will help me focus somewhat!
We don’t head backtil September, so I have a bit of time to tackle the following…
1. Finishing creating, printing, and laminating my decor for next year.
Same color scheme, slightly different style! I’ve been working on it for a looong time now and can’t wait to tell you more about it 🙂 🙂
2. Finish up my new class website (well, blog really!)…
I’ve been working on this site since the day we got out of school! I usually have a website for my students, but this year I am trying a parent component as well…and I’m actually planning on presenting the site at Open House instead of my usual Powerpoint presentation.
3. Set up workbooks for all subjects.
I think I mentioned a while back that I was switching from binders to workbooks for our notes. By workbooks, I will be creating our note-taking templates and binding them together for my students ahead of time, by subject. I promise to share how those look as soon as they are done!
4. Start planning out those first units.
Every year, I get so carried away in classroom setup that I don’t quite get the chance to plan ahead. This year I’m feeling pretty organized (hopefully this lasts!) and I’m going to work really hard to get some units planned out.
5. Create rubrics for all subjects/assignments.
This one I am working on with a very dear teacher friend who is my classroom next-door neighbor. Hey you!!!! (that’s to my friend who reads this!) We are getting together to rubricize (man, that should totally be a word but my red squiggly line is saying no!) all of our assignments and I can’t wait!
Ok, that seems like a little list but I’m trying not to overwhelm myself since we really did just get out of school.
What is on your list these days? I would love to hear about your plans (I know it would help a lot of us with ours!) and I know Lorraine would love to see what you’re thinking at…

• MS. OCD July 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Love the idea of rubrics for every assignment! Are you using a blog template or actually setting up website? I am debating between using a blog format or Edmodo.

• Kristen July 1, 2013 at 10:47 pm

just sent you an email 🙂

• Kristen July 5, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I think I already responded to you via email, but just in case, it's through Blogger and I will be sharing more about it for Optimum Organization on Saturday July 6th.

• FunintheFours July 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I like the idea of your blog for parents! How are you setting it up? I'd like to know more about it 🙂

Lynn

• Kristen July 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Thanks! I was just asking Ms. OCD if I should blog about it…would you like if I did? I can work on a post about it next, I'm pretty excited about it 🙂

• Caralee DeHerrera July 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I would love to hear about it!!

Caralee

• Lizzy @ The Teacher Chick July 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I think that is an awesome idea! I also like the idea of using it at Open House to introduce it so they can refer back later when they have questions. Will you use blogger? What about privacy settings?

Lizzy from *The Teacher Chick*

• Kristen July 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Hi Caralee and Lizzy, I am posting more about it tomorrow, Saturday July 6th. I will use Blogger, but not privacy settings as I don't post classwork, just information.

• Meagan England July 2, 2013 at 12:00 am

I'm with you on number 4. My room is always cute and ready to go, but my planning could always be much better.

Meagan
    Oodles of Teaching Fun

• ~Lynn~ July 2, 2013 at 12:29 am

Kristen–I can't get your CAFE headings and lined papers to download. I keep getting an error message from Google. Is there a chance that you could email them to me?? Thanks! I LOVE your blog!!!

• Kitty W July 2, 2013 at 12:34 am

My number one "To Do" for this summer is getting my digital files organized. I have files in Drop Box, google drive, Evernote, My Documents on my personal computer and My Documents on my school computer (before we switched to Drive). I would really like to streamline them so I can find what I am looking for AND know where to put other things. I just don't know where to begin….

• Miss Nelson July 2, 2013 at 3:20 am

I so need to rubricize all of my units. I just learning about learning scales last week.

• Lorraine Vasquez July 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for linking up my friend! I so agree with your #4!!!! However, what I really want to see is the outcome of your "rubicizing"! I need this!
    ~Lorraine
    Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies
    Visit my Facebook page

• Lisa @ Fluent in Fourth July 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I would love to hear about it as well. As always, I hang on your every word!

Lisa

• Kristen July 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Lisa, what a sweet thing to say! More to come 🙂

• Julie Lobb July 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hoping you will share more about your rubricizing! Would love to know how you are going to implement it.

• Kristen July 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I will let you know once my teammate and I go through it a bit 🙂

• Ximena July 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Hello, I can't wait to see your decor. I have not planned anything, yet. I am enjoying the beach and reading all those novels I keep buying. I will plan next week as we are getting a new reading series. I would love to know more about your rubricizing. Keep inspiring!!

• Molly July 4, 2013 at 3:31 am

Wow, I can't wait to see you workbooks!! And I am a total slacker on our class website!! Yours looks like it is going to be great!! I'm with you on the planning… I wanted to start looking over some of my units this summer, and it is going by so fast!! Wish I had someone to collaborate with! Then it would be so much more fun!! 🙂

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• Charlotte July 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

It may be a short list, but those are lofty tasks! Your parents are going to love/appreciate the site! I know I would as a parent. Can't wait to see the workbooks!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

• Kristen July 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thank you so much, I always love to hear the input from our teacher/parents because I only have that teacher perspective 😉

• Mrs. Eimer July 5, 2013 at 2:55 am

I would totally love any and all advice you have about class websites. Like Molly – I slack hardcore when it comes to ours. I would love to see what you're doing because everything you do is always so wonderful!

Courtney
    4thGradeSprinkles

• Kristen July 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I'm not sure how much it will help, but I do have some info to share tomorrow 🙂 🙂

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram