Optimum Organization…all summer!

May 29, 2013

Optimum Organization…all summer!

May 29, 2013

Hey everyone! Thank you to all who linked up to Optimum Organization last week…Elizabeth and I had such a wonderful time reading through all of your ideas! We hope our you, our dear readers enjoyed them too! There were SO many amazing tips. I know my summer to do list has certainly grown, in a good way!

We loved this linky so much, in fact, we thought we would host Optimum Organization again…all summer long!
Would you like to join us?
Here are the steps…

1. Write a blog post about one or both of the following:

An Organizational Idea
This can be something that you’ve used in the past that has worked well, or something you are developing this summer for next year. One idea is fine, as this will be a weekly linky party.
and/or
An Organizational Find
Share a find you scored when out and about shopping during the summer. Bins, binders, folders, containers…any of those items that make a huge difference in our classroom organization and management.

2. Grab a button for your blog post:

3. Link on up! You can join the party on Elizabeth’s blog or mine…it’s all the same party so come on over. We’ll be hosting each Saturday this summer!
4. The Fine Print! We do have a couple of rules for this linky, as shown below. Please note that any links that do not follow the rules will be deleted regrettably.
The purpose of this linky party is to provide new and veteran teachers a
chance to come together and share ideas on how to get organized for a
new school year.  Please join us and share your advice and expertise, but not links to products please. Please share new posts in which you are participating in the party, not links to older posts or labels on your blog. Thanks so much for your understanding!
We want everyone to feel welcome to participate! Don’t have a blog? Please stop by and leave comments each week sharing your tips with us…we can learn so much from each other! 🙂
The fun all starts this weekend, on Saturday. We hope to see you there! I’m excited to share my find with you very soon.

Thanks so much for visiting 🙂

• Elizabeth May 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Can't wait to party with you 🙂 I'm afraid of what might happen to my wallet, but oh well…

• Becca Morris May 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

This makes the OCD in me very happy! I can't wait to link up.

✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

• Diane R May 29, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Eeek! My heart just went pitter-patter!

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• First Grade Buddies May 30, 2013 at 1:49 am

Super idea! Great way to keep us thinking about organizational tools for next school year! We look forward to coming back on Saturdays!

🙂 Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

• KinderKapers May 30, 2013 at 2:06 am

I look forward to gaining new ideas all summer long. Maybe I will even have a few to share.

Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

• Molly May 30, 2013 at 2:25 am

Yayyyy!!! What a great idea!!! I just can't wait til we are out on summer break and I have more time to blog/plan organization for next year! 🙂

Molly

• Adventures in Room 204 May 30, 2013 at 2:59 am

This is such a great idea! I just finished my first year of teaching and could use all the organization tips I can get! I can't wait to continue reading all the posts. I am your newest follower and would love for you to hop over to my blog and follow as well! 🙂

-Allison
    Adventures in Room 204

• micmacsam May 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thank you for having this ongoing linky party! It is one of the most helpful I've seen.

• Laura May 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm

What an amazing blog you have! I am following you! Laura

Read-Write-Create

• SarahBeth June 1, 2013 at 12:59 am

Eek, best linky party idea EVER! Can't wait to get started 🙂

• Pinkadots Elementary June 1, 2013 at 1:40 am

Did you see my post from today? Your linky inspired me to clean my closet of doom! 🙂 hehe
    Pinkadots Elementary

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram