Clipboards and Lunch Basket Labels

September 3, 2012

Clipboards and Lunch Basket Labels

September 3, 2012
Sounds kind of random I guess, but I promise they are related! So. I’m linking up with Tara for her monthly linky…
And I feel a little silly because any of the other fabulous teacher-crafters would have decorated their clipboards for a Monday Made It! But I did dress up the bucket, so that counts, right?? (The bucket is from Walmart and was $4.something).
I also grabbed one for the students’ lunch bags. It’s flexy and tough, so I’m hoping it will last for the year…

The signs are printed on cardstock, laminated, and hot glued on. And they’re really stuck on now. As in I tried to pull off the Clipboard sign in a last-minute-type-A need to move it down and no luck. It’s ok, it’s good for me to leave it as is, haha!
So, if you are interested in either of the signs, they are below in an editable Powerpoint file…so you can add your name to the lunch sign if you’d like.
What kind of baskets do you use to store your lunch boxes and larger items?

• Miss Nelson September 3, 2012 at 5:10 pm

cute stuff! My kids store their lunch boxes in their cubby. Large items are in bins from target:)

• Anonymous September 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Our lunch boxes go in a laundry basket. It is durable and easy for kids to carry from the classroom to the lunchroom.

• Ms. Wold September 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm

We have a rolling cart that lunch boxes go on, it's nice and easy for the kiddos to move.

✪ Miss W

Miss W Teaches

• Rebekah Quiles September 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Our school hasa large trolly with three shelves. Each class has a designated shelf and the students put their lunch on it when they come in the morning. At lunch time the trolly is wheeled to the dining hall and students grab their lunch before they go in. So handy! Never need to worry about student lunches.

• EveryNewBeginning September 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I am a meanie and make my kids take their own lunch. We have lockers they store them in 🙂

Love it! I saw those bins and thought about getting one for recess. Currently they carry a laundry type bag.

Every New Beginning Blog

• Lisa September 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

We also keep our lunchboxes in a large tub. The first two kiddos in line carry it to the lunchroom as the rest of us head out to recess. When the kids come in for lunch they grab their bag and into the lunchroom they go. We collect them all on our way out of the lunchroom and carry them that way to our classroom. This method insures no swinging lunchboxes, no accidental whacks with a wild lunchbox, and no dropping of lunchboxes 🙂

I need to get a bin for my clipboards, but I also need a pencil sharpener and my back to school classroom budget is about all maxed out!

Thanks for the adorable downloads!!!
    Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

• Courtney September 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Kristen! These look great! Totally counts for Monday Made It!

Swimming into Second

• Ms.M September 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Oh too cute. Love the watermelon one! I might re-purpose it for something else, as I do not store lunches in my room. 😛 Thanks love.

BTW, glad your back. 🙂

M

• Anonymous September 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

So cute thank you for posting so many great freebies. What font did you use for this?

• Kristen September 4, 2012 at 4:07 am

Thanks 🙂 it's coffee shoppe espresso by Sweet Shoppe Designs.

• Michelle Faatuai September 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Hi Kristen, I bought that font but finding it hard to install. How'd you install it to be able to use on printable things- not just on a blog????

• Kristen September 16, 2012 at 12:32 am

Hi Michelle…I'm not sure. I just installed it and then it shows up in my programs automatically (once they've been restarted after I download it). If you google how to install font along with your computer type, you may be able to find some help–sorry I can't be of more help myself!

• Elizabeth September 3, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Loving the labels. I'll make you some clipboards 😉

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• Kelley Cirrito September 3, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I have missed your Kristen!! I love your baskets! I use the same thing for my clipboards!! It is great for my kids to pick up and move around if need be! I hope you are enjoying being back to school!

• ~Stephanie September 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I love all of these round labels Kristen. They just bring your room so cohesively together. Fabulous!!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Kelly Patrice September 4, 2012 at 12:38 am

Cute idea! I am wondering how you are liking the reading drawers?i

• Kristen September 4, 2012 at 4:06 am

Hey Kelly! I am LOVING the reading drawers so far! They keep the room so neat and organized and the kids love them too. We've only had three days in so far, but we'll see how it goes this week. I'll be posting more about them soon 🙂

• Kelly Patrice September 9, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hi! So I bought drawers this weekend and they should arrive sometime this week. I am still 5 short but I am hoping to find something to sit on top of the ones I found at Sams. I gave you a shout out on my blog! I am new to the whole blogging thing…as in this past week. So I hope I shouted out correctly 🙂

~Kelly~
      Are You Taller Than a 5th Grader

• Heather (TeacherBug) September 4, 2012 at 1:38 am

I just absolutely LOVE your Bright and Clear signs. My whole room is decorated that way 🙂 Makes me smile every morning when I walk in.

• Kristen September 4, 2012 at 4:05 am

thanks Heather!! I'm so happy to read this 🙂

• Mrs. Cockrell September 7, 2012 at 1:26 am

CUTE labels. We store our lunches in a large, heavy duty tub with handles (I believe I got it at Home Depot or Lowe's). It stays in the hallway, as there is NO ROOM at the inn, er, in my classroom. 🙂 Only trouble is that it can get pretty heavy/unwieldy for young kiddos. Our K and 1st teachers store theirs in rolling laundry baskets with handles, and that seems to work well.

Gayla
    Teach On.

• Molly September 9, 2012 at 7:01 am

I'm working on decorating clipboards for one of Tara's Monday Made its, but that means I will be needing a clipboard bucket and label as well, so I'm glad I can get that out of the way first with your adorable label! And I need to see if I can find that bucket! We store our lunches in a large plastic bucket that we leave outside of the classroom, but this year it's overflowing, some some of my students have to leave their lunches on the bench right next to it!

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• AthenaPhoenix September 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Thank you so much for these. Your stuff always looks so classy!

✪Crystal✪
    Strive to Sparkle

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram