A little basket that has made a big difference!

September 29, 2012

A little basket that has made a big difference!

September 29, 2012
Hey everyone! I wanted to share something that has been a huge help in my class this year…my Notes From Home basket! I can’t believe I had never done this in the past, but I honestly never kept a designated place for parent notes, fieldtrip forms, picture money, and all of that!! I just always took the forms on the fly, in the midst of greeting and attendancing (we seriously need a computer dictionary that recognizes our teacher lingo and doesn’t make those red error lines!) and other busy morning activities.
I know, pretty bad!
Well, this summer I decided I couldn’t face the papers flying at me in the morning anymore…so I made this designated basket.
And it has worked like a charm!
I no longer touch any papers from home first thing in the morning…I just ask the students to put them right in the basket. Then, during specials, I take the time to sort through and organize these important items.
So, pretty simple, but I did want to share–just in case you would like to try the same (though I’m sure you are much more organized and already thought of this).
I have a template for Notes From Home below, plus some editable labels that I shared back in the summer here: Editable Black Labels
What are some little organizational tricks you’ve used that have made a big impact in your classroom? I would love to learn some new ideas!
And here’s the file…

• Tracey Schimke September 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

They look great! Super idea!
    Tracey
    Third Grade All Stars

• Kristen September 29, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Thanks Tracey 🙂 🙂

• Shades of Teaching September 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Kristen I know what you mean. This year I too for the first time implemented something very similar instead I have incoming and outgoing baskets. I keep them not too far from the door. They are working great!!! I use the outgoing basket for school distributed notices, and it is helping me so much. I'm not forgetting to send home a notice and if I do of course one of my lovely students will remind me.

Shades of Teaching

• Kristen September 29, 2012 at 11:22 pm

that sounds perfect! Students are the best reminders, aren't they? 🙂

• LYNDSEY September 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Love! I call mine "The Important Paper Bin."

• Kristen September 29, 2012 at 11:21 pm

oooh I like that name!

• Lori Faas September 29, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Kristen, I have an "inbox" basket and an "outbox" basket on top of my mailboxes. That way I can collect incoming things and I have a place to put the things that need to go home in folders. Before this system I used to get those flyers and just set them down and forget to send them homw. When things are in the "outbox" basket, it is a great visual!
    Lori @
    Bee the Change
    Mrs. Faas’ First Grade

• Kristen September 29, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I like that a lot Lori, thanks!

• Tara September 29, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Simple and brilliant!!! Love it as usual!! Now to get the cute baskets like yours by Monday:)

4th Grade Frolics

• A Tale of 2 First Grades September 30, 2012 at 12:12 am

Kristen,
    Your new morning routine sounds just like mine! Hey, where did you get those cute baskets, I can only find those in primary colors.

~Alison

• Kristen September 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm

thanks! They are from Really Good Stuff–they have a bunch of colors!

• Kelly September 30, 2012 at 1:10 am

Great idea! I think I need one for my class. Thanks!

Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

• Sara Soucy September 30, 2012 at 1:44 am

I've had a notes from home bin for the past few years and it has made my life so much easier! I get all the important information right away in the morning, without my students waving papers in my face. I even used your editable labels this year when I made my baskets!

Sara 🙂
    Smiling In Second Grade

• Kimberly Santana September 30, 2012 at 1:47 am

My littles always try to shove their agenda/planner in my face as soon as they enter if there's a parent note written inside- I bought a slightly deeper box than yours just in case there's multiple agendas that need my attention, but regardless it works the same way. 🙂 My school is big on making sure all communication is in the student agenda- keeps notes from getting lost I suppose. I call it my "must see" basket. Thanks for the editable labels 🙂 Those are always handy to have!

Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

• ~Stephanie September 30, 2012 at 1:54 am

Great idea Kristen! Those notes are such a time sucker right in the morning sometimes. Great way to handle them.

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Hollie September 30, 2012 at 3:40 am

Love it, where did you get your little baskets??

• Kristen September 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Hollie, they are from Really Good Stuff. I love them!

• Mrs. Cupcake September 30, 2012 at 4:46 am

I do the same thing!! Only, my students keep money and notes in a zipper pouch in our take-home folders, and then my aide goes through them and gives the stuff to me. I have a bin on my desk and I sort through it during prep!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Beach Lovin' Teach September 30, 2012 at 5:00 am

This is a great idea that prevents piles of papers first thing in the morning! I call my bin the "Teacher Mailbox". Your labels are much cuter than mine though! Thanks for sharing!

Marie
    Beach Lovin' Teach

• Traci September 30, 2012 at 7:50 am

HOW have I never thought of this before?! Duh! I've always grabbed them, thrown them "somewhere" on my desk and then fumbled around trying to sort everything out later. Sometimes it's the simple things, right?
    Thanks!
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

• Libby September 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I use an actual mailbox that sits on the end of my desk. I bought it from my local hardware store a few years back for around $40, dollar stores might even sell them cheaper. It works well as the children love posting their notes from home into the little slot at the front and it keeps everything together until I have the time to read through them.

• S. Simpson September 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much for the freebie. You always create such great looking products. I love how clear and modern looking they are, thanks for sharing.

✰ Stacy

Simpson Superstars

• Lana September 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Great idea! I have a "Drop box" for things like that!

• Kelley Cirrito September 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thanks for sharing!! I think this would really make a difference in my classroom too! I hope you have a great weekend!!

• Elizabeth September 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Leave it to my girl, Kristen, to take a simple concept and make it look fabulous! I love it (as always)!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Love to Learn October 1, 2012 at 3:25 am

Such a great idea. Sometimes it gets so chaotic in the morning when students are handing in a variety of forms and having them in one place is so helpful!

Love to Learn

• Molly October 1, 2012 at 5:43 am

Fabulous idea, Kristen!! I definitely need to get me one of these baskets! Usually I just tell my kiddos to put their notes on my desk and then I have a bunch of random notes all over!

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• s.hock February 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I used your editable labels and ideas for turning in homework this year, and it has changed my life. Morning routines run so much smoother. It's amazing what a few colored bins and some labels can do for a classroom. Thank you for always sharing your tips and tricks! :)!!

• Howardevoro April 16, 2019 at 11:10 am
    Comment awaiting approval

Amazing a lot of useful tips.
    ed meds online
    canadian pharmacies
    canadadrugs.com pharmacy
    canadian pharmacies that ship to us

• Howardevoro April 16, 2019 at 3:31 pm
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 7:00 am
    Comment awaiting approval
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 1:54 pm
    Comment awaiting approval
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 8:26 pm
    Comment awaiting approval

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram