Tutorial: Organizing fonts on a Mac

August 12, 2012

Tutorial: Organizing fonts on a Mac

August 12, 2012
Hi again everyone! I’m back for a second time to share a quick little tutorial. Before I do that, I want to say a huge thanks to all of the lovely bloggers who stopped by to visit my sister’s new blog–you are the best!!!
So, this is something I’ve been asked about a few times and I’m hoping it will be of some help to some of the other font-crazed teachers out there!
It’s actually very easy to create a new folder to organize your fonts on a Mac…here are the steps:
1. Install a new font (or just head to your Font Book):
2. To the left, you will see a menu of previously made folders for fonts. At the very bottom, in the gray bar, you will see a plus sign:
3. Click on the plus sign and create a name for your new folder (called a Collection here):
4. Once you name this new collection, click and drag any fonts from the right to your new folder. I called mine “Design Fonts” and head to this folder always when making a printable…it saves me tons of time (instead of scrolling through endless fonts I don’t really use!):
I’m sorry I don’t have this information for PC users–does anyone have advice to share in that regard? I’d love to hear it if so! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy your evening!

• Ash August 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

You're the best! Thanks for that tutorial! Gonna make my life so much easier!

• Ginger Snaps August 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I wish there was a way on my PC!! I have tried to find tutorials on the web but can't find anything! I'm sure this will be helpful for many people! 😉

Ginger Snaps

• Miss School Potato August 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Awesome! What a useful idea! Thanks, Kristen!

• Mary M August 13, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hey Kristen, I downloaded the espresso font on my mac and for some reason I cannot get it to show some capital letters. Have you had that problem? For example when I type Miss Mayfield, the m does not show unless I make it lower case. Any suggestions are appreciated!

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 12:42 am

Hey Mary! I had the exact same thing happen! I don't know why…I didn't know if there were just capitals on some letters and not others (which doesn't make sense I guess!). I've been meaning to go back and look to see if there are capitals advertised in the file. I know some fonts from the shop don't have capitals. I'll let you know if I find out anything! 🙂

• Laura August 13, 2012 at 12:55 am

How great is this!!?? Thank you bunches!! This will save so much time!
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

• Diane August 13, 2012 at 1:06 am

How wonderful! I just tried it out and it worked! Thanks so much!

Can you tell me what to do on a font I downloaded? I downloaded LD Going Nuts (Lettering Delights). It won't appear in my font list but it shows up in the Font Book. When I just tried to put it in a group, as you explained above, I moved it, but it isn't there. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Diane
    The Teacher's Jungle

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I'm not sure Diane…I have a couple from LD and I think they've been ok…though actually I'm not sure I have them in that folder. Are you not seeing it at all in your Font Book when you move it to the folder…or to the folder within a document? That sounds weird but I have a reason for asking so I hope I'm making sense! 🙂

• Courtney August 13, 2012 at 1:17 am

Thanks so much! I've been meaning to do this on my Mac and now I will. You are awesome!

Swimming into Second

• K is for Kinderrific August 13, 2012 at 1:41 am

Maybe someone can help me!!

This was a great tutorial and I've moved a couple of fonts into a new folder I created in my Fontbook. But is there another step I need to do so the fonts show up in Word or Powerpoint in the drop down font list? How do I actually USE the fonts that are in my folder in Fontbook? I feel really silly for asking this because I know it is probably VERY obvious…but nothing I have tried is working. Help!

Debbie
    K is for Kinderrific

• Anonymous August 13, 2012 at 2:47 am

I had the same problem and I went to the Genius bar at the Apple Store. There they told me that MSOffice does not recognize all the fonts. The guys then showed me that in Pages the fonts will appear in the dropdown font list. You might try checking Pages out.

• K is for Kinderrific August 13, 2012 at 4:15 am

Thank you so much! I'll check into that!!

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I sent you an email just now 🙂

• learningismessy August 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I am having the same problem! I followed the great directions and make a special folder for the fonts I like. However, in Microsoft Word, they don't show up in my drop down menu. 🙁

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts August 13, 2012 at 1:45 am

You have made my Mac envy reach a new level 😉

I am saving up for one (and waiting for my 1 yr old to get past the destructive stage!) and then I will be in Mac bliss 🙂 Love your tutorials, as always!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Miss Nelson August 13, 2012 at 1:46 am

Kristen,
    I am going to need some help. I have a MAC on the way. Do I still need powerpoint? Do you ever use keynote?
    Thanks,
    Michele

• Stacey E. August 13, 2012 at 3:49 am

THANK YOU!! I was trying to figure this out tonight and it was driving me crazy!

• Anonymous August 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thank you for sharing all of your expertise and making tech so easy!Your tutorials are always so clear and concise.

• Clutter-Free Classroom August 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Such a useful tutorial. Do you by chance have any tips or ideas for organizing your clipart? I'm starting to get so overwhelmed with it and can't come up with a good system. 🙂 Jodi

• Mrs. Cockrell August 15, 2012 at 1:47 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! I had no idea you could do that, LOL!

I was also curious if you use PowerPoint or Pages. I had MS Office on my last Macbook, but this time around I went with the Mac package, so I use Pages and Keynote. It took me a while to figure certain things out, but I do like them pretty well. 🙂

gayla
    Teach On.

• Anonymous August 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Here are directions about how to install a font on a PC:

Open Fonts by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

1. Click File, and then click Install New Font.

2. If you don’t see the File menu, press ALT.

3. In the Add Fonts dialog box, under Drives, click the drive where the font that you want to install is located.

4. Under Folders, double-click the folder containing the fonts that you want to add.

5. Under List of fonts, click the font that you want to add, and then click Install.

This still was a bit challenging for me, as most of the fonts you download are zipped–you do have to expand them first–and I had to move them all to my C: drive to be able to find them under drivers.

Kristin, what is the name of the font you use for your flipped supply labels? I love it, but can't find it! Thanks,
    Raili

• Mrs. Castro August 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

This post makes me wish I had a Mac! Someday!
    Laura
    Mrs. Castro's Class

• Lauren August 23, 2012 at 3:19 am

You're a wealth of information. Silly question but how do you select the font from the font book to use on Mac word program?

• Kristen August 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Hi Lauren, not a silly question at all! It's the same setup as ppt…the folder shows up there as well.

• Stacy August 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

I noticed that many of my fonts only work in PPT, so for my fancier projects I do not use word. I have an old Mac and am saving up for a new one!

• Anonymous August 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Kristen. I was able to make the folders for some of my fonts in my font book, but I can't access them through Word. I have a MAC with the PC Word on it. I am able to access my new folder through Powerpoint. Can you help me?
    Marsha

• Kristen August 25, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hi Marsha, I'm not sure if this will be of help but, on my Word program for Mac, I go to the Font menu at the top of the screen. When the drop down menu appears, the first thing I see is "Font Collections". When I hover my cursor over Font Collections, I see my font folders appear, including the one I made. I hope that I explained that clearly and it works for you!

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram