Classroom Tour {Part 1}

December 23, 2011

Classroom Tour {Part 1}

December 23, 2011
Whew! One more day (well, half-day) to go and I am FREE!! Free to blog stalk, comment, and just plain catch up!

So, I realize a classroom tour is way overdue, but that seems to be the theme of this year–it has just taken over in a way that I never imagined!

A couple of my wonderful bloggy friends asked about sharing more pictures on my previous post, so I went through some images tonight. This is not my entire room (hence the Part I!) but it is a good overview. Some things have changed and some things are going to change soon but…here’s a glimpse of what I started with this fall.

Oooo, wait!! Here are the before pictures, if you’d like to compare: Some Before Pictures. Ok, now to the photos:

{view from classroom entrance}

{tables covered with contact paper and electrical tape}

{boring window-tops covered with a scene setter}

{brick wall covered with the scene setter too–affixed with liquid starch!}

{math games and manipulatives…closeups below…}

{my desk area…please ignore the messy tabletop!!}

{black fabric bulletin boards with turquoise ribbon trim…more below…}

{front whiteboard…made from a showerboard}

{my new projector screen ♥ ♥ ♥!}

{more of the front…small buddy reading area and closet}

{and round labels galore!!!}

Ok, so I have a bunch more I will be sharing in January–I always end up doing some kind of renovations in the new year. Not really major changes, I guess…more like tweaking some things.

I’m actually sad to say that the first thing I will do is repurpose my math games closet. I love how it looks, but want the space to be a bit more effective and store more than just the math games and manipulatives.

So I’m very sad to say I’m probably taking out my little colored baskets. They are wonderful for holding smaller items and manipulatives, but I think I am going to change over to more of those clear shoe bins. They hold a bit more and are easy to change design-wise when the room’s color scheme is altered…it’s just a matter of making a new label for the bin.

Well, I hope you don’t think I’m too wacky for sharing photos this late in the year. Would you be interested in seeing Part II in January? Thanks so much for reading, as always. I hope you are enjoying this holiday season with your friends and family! I look forward to catching up with everyone this week 🙂

• Mrs. Graham December 23, 2011 at 1:18 am

Your room is neat, clean, UNCLUTTERED, and organized! I would definitely love to see more photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Barbara December 23, 2011 at 1:26 am

I love your room. It looks amazing! I'm intrigued by the black bulletin boards. I've thought of doing that but was worried it would look too dark. How do you find them? And do you mind explaining how you did your tables? Is there a trick to getting the contact paper and electricians tape looking neat? Sorry, this is a lot of questions. I better stop now 🙂 Merry Christmas!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

• Kelley Cirrito December 23, 2011 at 1:49 am

I want to see part 2! Your room is very cute and organized! I will be on the lookout for part 2!

• bnwalton December 23, 2011 at 2:07 am

I of course agree with everyone else…I'd love to see more pictures! Your room is so nice 🙂

Bonnie
    Living A Wonderful Life

• Kim December 23, 2011 at 2:33 am

Oh Kristen:
    Lovely, Lovely, LOVELY!
    I love it ALL!
    (Although I absolutely KNEW I would!)
    I even love the "blue tips" on the chairs.
    And the math baskets with matching labels.
    And the twinkly lights.
    And all the round labels.
    SIGH. Heavenly.
    Ummm. What are the black dice for?
    (Choosing centers perhaps?)

I want to see Part 2.
    And Part 3.
    And Part 4.
    At least the items on the desk make me think you are a real person.
    Otherwise, I might think this classroom came from DreamLand…

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Hadar December 23, 2011 at 3:45 am

We want more, we want more!!! {that's me petitioning outside in blogland} 😉

Your room looks fabulous!!!

Hadar

• Ms.M December 23, 2011 at 4:48 am

OMG Kristen, I want you to come and do my room now. 😛 It looks FANTASTIC! Love it. Obviously I too want to see more.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Erika December 23, 2011 at 5:15 am

I did black fabric on my boards this year and love it. Your room is amazing. Where is all the clutter? I need you. And am anxiously awaiting part 2, etc.
    2B Honey Bunch

• Mrs. Saoud December 23, 2011 at 5:34 am

I have a place for everything too. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one. :0

I hope you scheduled a little rest for you my friend.

Cheryl

• Kristin December 23, 2011 at 5:44 am

LOVE to see the pictures!!!! Please share more. And I have clear, plastic tubs but I was having color basket envy so now maybe I can save some money and just work on ROUND labels. That would be so cool. Your room is very inviting. I'm ready to learn!! 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Tara December 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

Def. want to see more!!! You should do classrooms as a side business! Your classroom is amazing and organized and neat and tidy and organized and OHHHHHHHHH! LOVE IT!

4th Grade Frolics

• Beth Ann December 23, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Wow!!! I love your classroom. It makes me want to get into mine…..right after break! 🙂
    What do you have next to the square schedule cards?
    Thanks so much for sharing!

❁Beth Ann❁
    Taming My Flock of Firsties

• Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) December 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

ahhh!!! stupid internet!! I had this big long comment typed out for you, and then it wouldn't post it and now it's lost!! grrrrrr……
    well, regardless – I love it!
    Jen Ross
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

• Unknown December 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hi! I'm a new follower of your blog and I was so happy to see pictures of your classroom! I agree with everyone else, I can't wait to see more!

I moved into my classroom with barely a week to actually move in, but the teacher moving out left A TON of things and I came in with A TON of things and I just had to throw everything the cabinets and start planning! I spent all fall not knowing what was in there; it drove me crazy!

I just spent 4 days of break rearranging my room and cleaning out, streamlining, and organizing all my materials! I'm not done all the way, but I feel so much better!

Wow, this comment just got really long, I guess what I'm trying to say is…..I love seeing other classrooms, so thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to more pictures! 🙂

• Kristen December 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Thank you so much for all of the sweet comments…it means so much to me!!

Barbara, I will try to blog about the contact paper this week, since I am on vacation woohoo!!!! I was worried about the black being dark too, so that's why I went with bright colors and light-colored contact paper for the tables. It seems to balance out nicely. And I LOVE how the posters and signs pop on the black!

Kim, the dice are for the math games…kind of a decor/function thing on the shelves 🙂

Erika! Thank you for noticing! The clutter-removal has taken two years and is still going on right now!! I hope to post more about that soon.

Beth Ann, those are little dry erase squares…you can see more about them here: http://ladybugsteacherfiles.blogspot.com/2011/09/functional-decor-with-dry-erase-sheets.html

No worries Jen, thanks for visiting! 🙂

Unknown, thanks for the kind words and thanks for following the blog! It does feel great to clean it all out!

Everyone else, thanks again for the lovely words! I am so glad we all know each other in bloggy land and I greatly value your opinions. Happy Holidays!!! 🙂

• Mrs. Coe December 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I have to say this… When I was on your blog and grabbed the card I was thinking about how much I loved Kindergarten but when I look at your stuff I swear it makes me want to teach older kids. I can honestly say that does not happen much. i love your stuff.

• Mrs. Coe December 23, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Sorry I love your stuff!

• Mrs. Coe December 24, 2011 at 12:01 am

I swear I am not stalking… I am grabbing that for my science blog! Merry Christmas!

• Kelley Cirrito December 24, 2011 at 1:02 am

I hope you have a great holiday too Kristin! 🙂

• teacherking55 December 24, 2011 at 1:42 pm

FABULOUS!!!! I LOVE how organized your classroom is!!! You are just so creative! Where did you get the baskets? I really like thm! 🙂

• Kristen December 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Thank you!! The baskets were from the Dollar Tree, many years back.
    Kristen 🙂

• Andrea December 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I would love to see part 2!!! I want my class to look that organized. Maybe this summer??? 🙂 Thank you for the inspiration. I would like to hear more about the black scene paper you put up with starch!

• MG December 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

As an upcoming teacher, I really enjoy searching blogs for ideas on setting up and decorating my classroom. I love that your room is clean, organized, uncluttered, and NOT busy with every print imaginable. It looks awesome! Thanks for showing me it CAN be done. 🙂

• Crystal December 25, 2011 at 12:54 am

Just found your blog today and already I love all the greats ideas you have here. I teach kindergarten, but so much of your ideas would work well with my kids too! Thank you!

• Kim December 26, 2011 at 6:15 am

Okay, Kristen…
    I'm sorry to add a Christmas wish comment on a (fabulous) post about colored bins and round labels and using starch on walls–ESPECIALLY after I left a mini-novelette up above… and it feels like putting a magenta bin in a row of hot pink ones… pretty… but on the wrong shelf…
    BUT (where was I going with this? Oh yes…)
    I just REALLY wanted to thank you for the VERY-sweet-make-me-cry comment today. It all started with YOUR kindness and that cute little switcheroo graphic. (Shhhh. Don't tell. I looked at it about 50 times on lots of different sites before I realized there are not two but THREE different pictures flashing before my very eyes. If that is the newest version of the IQ test, I am NOT meeting the standards for visual discrimination.)

So… ANOTHER lengthy circuitous post meant to say MERRY CHRISTMAS, Kristen. I am so glad you are my BloggyFriend!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Barbara December 26, 2011 at 6:57 am

Hi again, Kristen! Thanks for answering my questions above 🙂 I hope you had the best ever Christmas day!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

• Heather December 27, 2011 at 12:17 am

Hi! Do you have those basket labels available? I am working on a new math center, and many of those labels would work nicely!

• Mrs. Cupcake December 27, 2011 at 5:15 am

I second what Heather said… do you have the basket labels for the centers?? Love!

I am so in love with your classroom. I am organized, but not as organized as I would like to be!

A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Kristen December 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so, so much everyone! I really appreciate your words–you have all made my day!!

Kim, you are too funny! I like the magenta bin analogy, lol!

Heather and Mrs. Cupcake (love that name!) I can't share/sell those exact ones due to terms of use, but I have similar ones on my TN shop: http://teachersnotebook.com/shop/LadybugTeacher

Thanks again for the sweet words!

• Sophia December 29, 2011 at 4:14 am

More pictures! Your room is such an inspiration to me, I could spend (many more!) hours and hours on your blogs and getting inspired. Keep them coming!

• correa February 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love your classroom! The labels and very nice printed words for the bulletin boards really make a difference. What font or program do you use to make the labels and bulletin board words.

• Think, Wonder, & Teach March 24, 2012 at 3:49 am

It's MARCH! Where is part 2? I have been anxiously, eagerly, patiently waiting and can't wait any more. I love your room!

Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

• Ana June 18, 2012 at 8:00 am

I love your room. Want to se more! 😛

• wyo99 July 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Loved the pictures of your room, I loved the idea of using ribbon as a border, would have never crossed my mind!

• vazenchick July 11, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I LOVE the round labels. Do you have a template of them that you could share??

• Muggy PIerfelice July 24, 2012 at 3:34 am

I have been busy making my "Craft" board but am doing an "I CAN!" board….same idea/different letters. I downloaded your wonderful big round letters from your CRAFT board and VOICES board but I still need an N and an exclamation point. How do I do this???? Thanks tons. I love your site!

• Anonymous July 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Is there a benefit to using black fabric verses black bulletin board paper? I have decided to try the black…… Should I go fabric? So many decisions. Is it hard to get the fabric the correct size? I looked on ur blog for more pictures. Have u ever posted more ? I am going with the black and turquoise. U clinched my decision!

• Kristen July 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Hi! The black fabric is great if you'd like to stay with it for awhile. I was able to just leave the fabric up over the summer for this coming school year. I also like that you can take it down and clean it, then reuse it again. I really love the black so much I'm going to stick with it for a long time, so it was a good investment.

I measure the boards before ordering the fabric. I cut it into smaller pieces (not perfect-sized or anything, just manageable pieces) and applied them with liquid starch.

I just started posting some updated pictures for this year, more to come: http://www.ladybugsteacherfiles.com/2012/07/some-classroom-color-scheme-photos.html

I did a different border this year, but kept the black of course. Thanks for visiting! 🙂

• Anonymous August 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I love your classroom color and design scheme. I am transitioning to black and white this year after about seven years of bright colors. Where did you get those awesome circles with both the printed and cursive letters (above your smartboard)? Did you make those?

Chrissy

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Chrissy!! Yes, that's the alphabet set I made last year 🙂

• Marie Toulet November 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I'm a french teacher and you can't imagine how your photos bring me inspiration for my own classroom! Wonderful!

• Blurbs by Brenda May 10, 2013 at 12:57 am

Adorable….I love the black bulletin boards.

• gdawg90 June 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Wow! I love the organization, colors, and ideas included in your classroom photos. After reading through the comments from others, some of my questions were answered. I am curious to how you utilized the clear plastic drawer containers located to the left of the white board you created from shower board. I too have used shower board years ago to create individual white boards for my students. It is inexpensive and you can get enough for one entire classroom out of one large piece with careful measuring. I have many centers that are stored in gallon size Ziploc bags, but I love the ideas of the smaller baskets. The one large crate I am using is overflowing and the untidy mess drives me crazy. With furlough days and limited pre/post planning in our school system, teaches do not have the time to spend in their classrooms the way we did years ago and I feel overwhelmed with the build-up of clutter. After you admitted it took you more than two years, it gave me some hope. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more photos and suggestions. The labels I have seen have given me a new jolt for beginning the organization I want to begin. Once I begin cleaning out, I will be referring back to this blog often. Thank you again! 🙂

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram