Peek at My Week & a Gift for You!

May 5, 2013

Peek at My Week & a Gift for You!

May 5, 2013
Happy Teachers Appreciation Week!! I just love this week and I’m planning on celebrating in many little ways…with all of you, my dear readers!
Today I’m linking up with the lovely Deedee over at Mrs. Will’s Kindergarten for her Peek at My Week Linky. Here are some of the major lessons and units my class will be working on this week (you can click on the covers to see more about each). I’m looking forward to starting Jen Runde’s American Lapbook and I know my students will love it!

I also have a little file to share with you all! I was looking back at my older posts from years ago and one of the favorite files was the Consonant Blends Chart (you can click on the green link to see the old one).
I decided to revamp it and make a new one to share, as a little way of showing my thanks and appreciation for you…
I hope it’s something you might be able to use in your class. I also hope that you have a wonderful, well-deserved week of appreciation! I will be back tomorrow with more 🙂

• AMC Looking From Third to Fourth May 5, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Thank you so much for the new version – I love it. I appreciate all that you have done for my classroom more than I can say. I hope you have a great week.

Looking From Third to Fourth

• ronnie May 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm
  • Krystyn Richards May 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Thank you for sharing. I love it!

Krystyn
    Ms Richards's Musings

• ~Stephanie May 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Kriten,

I can't tell you how much I love looking at your stuff. It is just so so so fabulous! Looks like you have a great week ahead of yourself, and your morphology dictionary is SPECTACULAR!

Steph
    Teaching in Room 6

• First Grade Buddies May 5, 2013 at 8:41 pm

We love this updated blend chart!! Thanks so much for sharing it!

🙂 Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

• Ashley Reed May 5, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I just downloaded it…thanks so much!!

• Kristen, your things are always so pretty!! 🙂

• Fluttering Through First Grade May 5, 2013 at 10:40 pm

We reference our blend chart all the time! It's such a great tool. Thanks for the fabulous update~Love it!!!

~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

• Laurie May 5, 2013 at 11:17 pm

LOVE…LOVE…LOVE!! Thanks for sharing. We use the F&P Blend Chart (not in color though). I can't wait to try this out with my kiddos. I'm sure by the time I retire (which is in a LOOOOONG time) I'll have all of your charts and posters up in my room!!

Laurie
    First Grade Lyons' Den

• Mrs Cupcake May 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm

LOVE this chart! Just beautiful!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Elizabeth May 6, 2013 at 1:18 am

Oh my goodness, look at that update:) Stunning! Everything you create has such a beautiful look. Have a great week, friend!!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Suzy Q May 6, 2013 at 1:51 am

I love 'your look'…you should look into copyright-ing it! Thank you for sharing, Kristen!

• Collaboration Cuties May 7, 2013 at 1:27 am

I love your visual plans!! It's fun to see what you are up to! Thank you so much for the blends charts! Your stuff is always so visually appealing! I don't know how you do it! I mean, I DO, but everything always matches so well and is so eye-catching. :O)

Thanks so much!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

• Molly May 11, 2013 at 12:02 am

Thanks so much for sharing such a fabulous chart! It's beautiful!!

Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

• Ms.M May 11, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Oh my kids love the original and the revamp is perfect. Thanks for sharing.
    Mels

• Ms.M May 11, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Oh my kids love the original and the revamp is perfect. Thanks for sharing.
    Mels

• Ms.M May 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Will you do the same for your digraphs chart?
    Mels

• 4321Teach May 13, 2013 at 4:30 am

Thank you for sharing this. It is so cute! 🙂
    Have a great week!
    Antoinette

• Amy Cain May 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I absolutely love your work. It is so bright and colorful! I just graduated with my bachelors of science in teaching so I am beginning the great job hunt. In the meantime though, I'm really trying to wrap my head around how my future classroom will function! I've found so many of your products helpful! I have a fairly new blog and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing!

Amy

Visit My Blog – Amy @ I Live To Teach

• primary practice May 23, 2013 at 3:34 am

Love your style and creativity, Kristen. Thanks so much for your generosity too!

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram