To Do (before the first day of school)!

July 1, 2013

To Do (before the first day of school)!

July 1, 2013
I’m joining my friend Lorraine from Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies for her To Do list linky because, well, I’m getting a bit scattered these days. It’s inevitable when I have too much time on my hands and too many projects…you know what I mean, right?

Hopefully this will help me focus somewhat!
We don’t head backtil September, so I have a bit of time to tackle the following…
1. Finishing creating, printing, and laminating my decor for next year.
Same color scheme, slightly different style! I’ve been working on it for a looong time now and can’t wait to tell you more about it 🙂 🙂
2. Finish up my new class website (well, blog really!)…
I’ve been working on this site since the day we got out of school! I usually have a website for my students, but this year I am trying a parent component as well…and I’m actually planning on presenting the site at Open House instead of my usual Powerpoint presentation.
3. Set up workbooks for all subjects.
I think I mentioned a while back that I was switching from binders to workbooks for our notes. By workbooks, I will be creating our note-taking templates and binding them together for my students ahead of time, by subject. I promise to share how those look as soon as they are done!
4. Start planning out those first units.
Every year, I get so carried away in classroom setup that I don’t quite get the chance to plan ahead. This year I’m feeling pretty organized (hopefully this lasts!) and I’m going to work really hard to get some units planned out.
5. Create rubrics for all subjects/assignments.
This one I am working on with a very dear teacher friend who is my classroom next-door neighbor. Hey you!!!! (that’s to my friend who reads this!) We are getting together to rubricize (man, that should totally be a word but my red squiggly line is saying no!) all of our assignments and I can’t wait!
Ok, that seems like a little list but I’m trying not to overwhelm myself since we really did just get out of school.
What is on your list these days? I would love to hear about your plans (I know it would help a lot of us with ours!) and I know Lorraine would love to see what you’re thinking at…

• MS. OCD July 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Love the idea of rubrics for every assignment! Are you using a blog template or actually setting up website? I am debating between using a blog format or Edmodo.

• Kristen July 1, 2013 at 10:47 pm

just sent you an email 🙂

• FunintheFours July 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I like the idea of your blog for parents! How are you setting it up? I'd like to know more about it 🙂

Lynn

• Kristen July 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Thanks! I was just asking Ms. OCD if I should blog about it…would you like if I did? I can work on a post about it next, I'm pretty excited about it 🙂

• Caralee DeHerrera July 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I would love to hear about it!!

Caralee

• Lizzy @ The Teacher Chick July 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I think that is an awesome idea! I also like the idea of using it at Open House to introduce it so they can refer back later when they have questions. Will you use blogger? What about privacy settings?

Lizzy from *The Teacher Chick*

• Meagan England July 2, 2013 at 12:00 am

I'm with you on number 4. My room is always cute and ready to go, but my planning could always be much better.

Meagan
    Oodles of Teaching Fun

• ~Lynn~ July 2, 2013 at 12:29 am

Kristen–I can't get your CAFE headings and lined papers to download. I keep getting an error message from Google. Is there a chance that you could email them to me?? Thanks! I LOVE your blog!!!

• Kitty W July 2, 2013 at 12:34 am

My number one "To Do" for this summer is getting my digital files organized. I have files in Drop Box, google drive, Evernote, My Documents on my personal computer and My Documents on my school computer (before we switched to Drive). I would really like to streamline them so I can find what I am looking for AND know where to put other things. I just don't know where to begin….

• Miss Nelson July 2, 2013 at 3:20 am

I so need to rubricize all of my units. I just learning about learning scales last week.

• Lorraine Vasquez July 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for linking up my friend! I so agree with your #4!!!! However, what I really want to see is the outcome of your "rubicizing"! I need this!
    ~Lorraine
    Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies
    Visit my Facebook page

• Lisa @ Fluent in Fourth July 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I would love to hear about it as well. As always, I hang on your every word!

Lisa

• Julie Lobb July 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hoping you will share more about your rubricizing! Would love to know how you are going to implement it.

• Ximena July 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Hello, I can't wait to see your decor. I have not planned anything, yet. I am enjoying the beach and reading all those novels I keep buying. I will plan next week as we are getting a new reading series. I would love to know more about your rubricizing. Keep inspiring!!