Optimum Organization: Baskets for Everything!

1. Ahhh….I love baskets. 🙂
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

2. I really like that you have different baskets for different types of homework.Often I tell a student that I don't have their work only to realize I have to dig through all the papers to find it! I am trying to figure out a new and improved way of keeping track of who has handed in the different types of homework. Hopefully someone links up with an idea :). Thanks for hosting, hope you feel better and that your paperwork is under control.

• Melissa says:

I have used a file sorter very successfully with my first graders. I introduced it to a fourth grade teacher and it has changed her life. Amazon has a plastic one for $15, it's turquoise. You can either assign students a number, or use their names (alphabetically by last or first) and they'll automatically be organized for your gradebook as well. You'll instantly see who hasn't turned in their papers, as well as if they have their NAME on their paper – a huge issue in first. I'm going to kindergarten next year, so I might begin the year with baskets and use the sorter only for me. Hope this helps!

• Melissa says:

I forgot to mention I used my label maker to attach their names on the tabs.

3. Melissa says:

I love those baskets too! Especially since they were given to me by my fabulous sister! 😉 They definitely made my room more organized and a lot more colorful too! You are the best!

4. I really need to invest in some of those baskets! I'm a paper stacker and need to be reformed! (To sound a bit more organized, I will say that I do paperclip them and stack them in a neat pile on the corner of my desk. However, in a basket, they would look more "organized", huh?) I sure hope you are feeling better. I'll be thinking of you during this last week 🙂

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

5. Lauren says:

Kristen –

Do you remember where you found those baskets? I've been looking to replace my current ones and those look like they would be a good fit!

Lauren
    Life In Middle School

6. Jessica says:

Thanks for hosting this linky party! I cannot wait to read other teachers' tips and tricks for organization.

Jessica
    The Littlest Scholars

7. Miss Nelson says:

Thanks for hosting. I hope to share some other tips soon. I just love finding new tips.

8. Courtney says:

I'm in love with those baskets too! I have only the blue and seeing all those pretty colors makes me want to order more!! So I love the black label, but how do you do that?? Do you print the labels on black paper or just use black ink on white paper? Thanks!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

9. Love how colorful those baskets are!

🙂 Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

10. Love the bright colors! Thanks for sharing.

Krista
    Stellar-Students

11. Anonymous says:

I love these colorful baskets. I am looking to add some color to my classroom this week. Where did you buy all those with color?

Amanda

12. What are the signs that you have on the back of the assignment baskets? I also love these baskets! They are definitely durable!

13. Hope you are feeling better! I have got to try a better way to collect my paper from my kiddos..the multiple baskets with labels just may be the answer!

Thanks!
    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

14. I love those baskets! I found mine at Jo Ann's Fabrics! Love the labels too! Thank you!!
    The Teacher Chick

15. Molly says:

I am a paper stacker too!! No matter how how I try to be organized, stacks of paper always manage to pile themselves up!! Love your colorful baskets to help control it all! 🙂

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

16. Sarah says:

This is great, Kristen! Thanks for sharing! I wish I could link up, but I unfortunately do not have any pictures of what I did last year. However, I did do something similar. I found some similar bins at the Target spot for $1 each!!! In really COOL colors, too! So I splurged and bought 15 of them after I had bought 12 cardboard trays at the beginning of the year. So I ended up doing the same thing as you. With a self-contained class of 5 homeroom students, each student had their own tray as a "finished-work bin" (to be graded and filed) and then I had some of the same baskets as you (for HW, signed papers, EOY paperwork, work samples, etc.). Thanks for sharing!
    ~Sarah

17. Hi Kristen!
    I am sorry for linking up so late but I just couldn't resist! I have a two-part workroom clean up that fits right into your organizational theme! And speaking of organization, WOWZA! Your baskets and labels are FANTASTIC! I love the variety of colors! Thank you so much for sharing your labels with me! I am excited to start typing them in tonight!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

18. Mrs. Saoud says:

You are such a rock star for me! I always enjoy reading your post!