Scientific Method Signs

May 14, 2013

Scientific Method Signs

May 14, 2013
So, it seems it has become a tradition for me to redesign these signs each year. This is the third set I’ve made and shared here on my blog. And I’m linking them up with my friend Tara for her Monday Made It!
There are nine signs in all, displaying the different steps of the scientific method…

They’re a bit bright to look at here, but I promise they print out nicely! I wish I had a picture from my class to show them in action (well, kind of in action, since they really are just sitting there on a bulletin board) but alas I am in the midst of assessments and do not have any photos!
I do have them in a file to share though…please click on the image below for a direct download:
I hope they can be of use. Thanks for stopping by, I hope your week is off to a nice start!

• Brooke at Whooo's in Second? May 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

Kristen,
    I love the signs – no need to ever redo again! They're super cute and perfect…
    Brooke

• Mrs. Wathen May 14, 2013 at 2:55 am

I am working on our Science Fair project this week. These are PERFECT!
    Thanks for sharing.

Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

• ~Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 2:56 am

Fabulous! And good timing too….I am in the middle of thinking about this scientific method thing to end the year (not that we haven't been doing it all year….but our science fair projects came back today and, well, we need a refresher….again.)

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• 4321Teach May 14, 2013 at 3:22 am

Kristen, these are cute! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

EmilyK

• Suzy Q May 14, 2013 at 3:39 am

You know these are great when we don't even GET to do experiments in second grade, but I downloaded them anyway! Thank you for sharing…I love your visual sense!

• Brandee Green May 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

One of my teacher friends just decided to teach Science next year…I am going to download these and give them as a surprise today! Thanks for sharing. They are so cute!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• Susan Cahalane May 14, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Kristen, I love these bright, fun signs! Thanks so much for sharing!!

✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

• Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm

These are awesome! I see a new bulletin board in our future!!

❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

• Everyone deServes to Learn May 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

They are so pretty. I know they will come in handy some day!

-Maria

• monstermum1 May 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I was asked for a password after I had tried to download the signs. Is that how you designed it, so that they could not be saved?

• Jane May 15, 2013 at 1:55 am

I love these signs – thanks so much for sharing. They will surely brighten up my science board.

Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

• Rachel May 16, 2013 at 2:32 am

They look great! I always love your signs!

Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Prepping for field trips with digital slides!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Ok. It took me 18 years to figure this one out.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After YEARS of talking through upcoming field trips and trying to explain what to expect, it suddenly occurred to me...why not SHOW my kids all of the information in google slides?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean we all know pictures are worth a thousand words. And I can prep the slides ahead of time, so I don’t forget to include any important information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I keep it simple. A slide for the chaperones and groups. A second slide with an overview of the trip. And one more featuring the schedule, how to prepare, and any important notes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I already used my first set last week and it was such a big help...and a huge timesaver!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you prep your students for field trips? I hope this idea is if some help if you are looking to try something visual!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#fieldtrip #classroomorganization #classroommanagement #googleslides #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth
    • Sooo simple, but what a game-changer!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I first learned about these magnetic numbers for the date from @twoteachersinfifth, they always have the best ideas!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And now I NEVER forget to post the date!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Actually, my students don’t forget...since this is one of our class jobs 😉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The numbers are by Teacher Created Resources and can be found on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I store ours in an Iris photo case...and I’m sharing the label on here in case anyone can use it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please click the link in my profile to grab a copy of the label! bit.ly/WhiteboardNumbers⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to post your date each day?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Looking for some new google fonts for your drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This summer, I compiled a huge list of favorite teacher fonts for google, thanks to so many of you who shared your favorites! 💜⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can grab this resource from the link in my profile. Then, just copy and paste your new faves to add to docs and slides in your own drive!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are there any we missed? What’s your favorite google font?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456