Scientific Method Signs

May 14, 2013

Scientific Method Signs

May 14, 2013
So, it seems it has become a tradition for me to redesign these signs each year. This is the third set I’ve made and shared here on my blog. And I’m linking them up with my friend Tara for her Monday Made It!
There are nine signs in all, displaying the different steps of the scientific method…

They’re a bit bright to look at here, but I promise they print out nicely! I wish I had a picture from my class to show them in action (well, kind of in action, since they really are just sitting there on a bulletin board) but alas I am in the midst of assessments and do not have any photos!
I do have them in a file to share though…please click on the image below for a direct download:
I hope they can be of use. Thanks for stopping by, I hope your week is off to a nice start!

• Brooke at Whooo's in Second? May 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

Kristen,
    I love the signs – no need to ever redo again! They're super cute and perfect…
    Brooke

• Mrs. Wathen May 14, 2013 at 2:55 am

I am working on our Science Fair project this week. These are PERFECT!
    Thanks for sharing.

Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

• ~Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 2:56 am

Fabulous! And good timing too….I am in the middle of thinking about this scientific method thing to end the year (not that we haven't been doing it all year….but our science fair projects came back today and, well, we need a refresher….again.)

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• 4321Teach May 14, 2013 at 3:22 am

Kristen, these are cute! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

EmilyK

• Suzy Q May 14, 2013 at 3:39 am

You know these are great when we don't even GET to do experiments in second grade, but I downloaded them anyway! Thank you for sharing…I love your visual sense!

• Brandee Green May 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

One of my teacher friends just decided to teach Science next year…I am going to download these and give them as a surprise today! Thanks for sharing. They are so cute!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• Susan Cahalane May 14, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Kristen, I love these bright, fun signs! Thanks so much for sharing!!

✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

• Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm

These are awesome! I see a new bulletin board in our future!!

❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

• Everyone deServes to Learn May 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

They are so pretty. I know they will come in handy some day!

-Maria

• monstermum1 May 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I was asked for a password after I had tried to download the signs. Is that how you designed it, so that they could not be saved?

• Jane May 15, 2013 at 1:55 am

I love these signs – thanks so much for sharing. They will surely brighten up my science board.

Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

• Rachel May 16, 2013 at 2:32 am

They look great! I always love your signs!

Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Does your team use shared drives?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We do and I love it...but I do not love the sea of gray folders (why can’t we change the colors??).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One thing I’ve done over the years is to use emojis next to the folder name. The visual really helps in finding things quickly!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you go to an emoji site (like emojipedia.org) you can copy and paste any of your favorites right into your folder names!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀While I still yearn for more color 😂 these emojis help in the meantime.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I don’t like to make a huge deal out of iReady data with my students...it really is only one piece of information about them as learners.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I do think a bit of accountability helps...and my students are always wanting to know their scores and progress on the diagnostic.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I made this data tracking sheet to focus on growth. I marked the on grade level range to help my students have an idea of where they scored. We aren’t making a big deal of what actual grade level they scored on, just focusing more on progress towards that on level range. We will store these pages in their binders, so their information is private.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made data sheets for grades 3-5, in case anyone would like to try this with their upper-elementary students. Please click the link in my profile to make a cooy to your drive: bit.ly/ireadystudentdata⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you can use this! I think having a closer look at data has helped my students this year...I didn’t do this during our first year of iReady and I think my students didn’t have a good idea of their level/progress. Do you track diagnostic scores with your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a little sheet that’s been a big help for those midyear iReady diagnostics!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I wanted a quick, at-a-glance sheet...and this one has helped a lot. I made a box below the mid and end of the year scores to track growth or loss.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Does your district use iReady? I hope some of you are able to use these sheets! I combined the math and reading into one file...please click the link in my profile to make a copy for yourself: bit.ly/ireadyscoresheet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For those who use iReady, have you taken the midyear diagnostic yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Fascinating Fridays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been trying something new to liven up our learning in 2020...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it was so easy to set up, thanks to @mysterysci! Have you tried Mystery Science yet? I’ve been meaning to for so long now and wish I had sooner...it’s incredible!! Everything is prepped for you and there are videos to build background, present the mystery, and walk the students through the science experiment/activity. Not an ad, just a love of this amazing site!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So this past Friday we explored two volcano mysteries. For the first, we mapped out volcanoes and identified patterns we noticed, as an exploratory introduction to the Ring of Fire.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For the second mystery, we investigated different types of lava and whether they form shield or cone volcanoes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We also worked on some volcano research in our Field Journals (blank Target books) using the nonfiction text features we’ve been reviewing in class (the index in particular!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used some lighting and video to add to the theme (there’s an awesome, 45 minute video of real volcanic eruptions on YouTube).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I was inspired to get some tap lights and colorful spotlights by Tanya @giftedteacher305...she does the most amazing things in her class!! I’m a big fan of lights because they set the mood with very little work involved on my part #lazyteacher.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I added some black tablecloths to our tables, put a tap light in the center, and threw some red, orange, and yellow streamers on top. Instant fire. The whole setup took about 20 minutes and my students LOVED it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I love how the day was one to remember and filled with hands-on, meaningful learning, but also very easy for me to plan and set up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried Mystery Science before? What are your favorite mysteries on there? I can’t wait to try more!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#science #iteachscience #mysteryscience #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I’ve been saving some google drive tutorials in my highlights this week...I hope some of you are able to use them!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I know I shared this tip back in the fall but it’s one of my favorite timesavers for making fraction printables. And I added the steps with pictures in my stories...it’ll be under the fractions highlight for those not ready to think about school yet (we head back tomorrow!!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Happy New Year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googleslides #iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • HUGE time-saver for designing fraction visuals!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Fractions are such a major part of fourth grade math and I am always looking for ways to streamline the process of making visuals and papers for my students.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it turns out there is a really easy way to make fraction circles using google sheets!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And there are so many great things about it! The circles are perfectly divided in a snap, you can use any colors you’d like, and adding labels takes just a moment!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I saved the steps in my highlights, in case you’d like to try it out. Are you teaching fractions soon? I hope this will help if so! Happy New Year!!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram