Awesome (& Affordable) Seating!

April 10, 2013

Awesome (& Affordable) Seating!

April 10, 2013

I love these little seats so much, I feel I should write this post as poetry. Perhaps an ode to a stool?? Don’t worry, I will spare you!

But I do just love these little chairs. And my 5th graders love them even more!

I first learned about them from my little friend. Actually, she’s teeny. As in the one and only…

A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Kristin blogged how much her first graders loved the stools here: Listening Center Stools. I wrote to her to ask a bit more…could my 5th graders sit on them comfortably? Would they be too short for them?

Like the true friend she is, she offered all the help she could give. She did some intensive calculations, including testing one out herself…as she said she is the size of many 5th graders in her school.

Turns out she was right…they are a great size for 5th graders!

So then I waited a couple of months before blogging about them, just to be sure. But they are still working really well for my class, so I had to share!

Why are they so awesome?
  • They’re pretty. (this is the most important part and therefore must be listed first)
  • They’re affordable. They are $8.88 right now, as a fact. There is a shipping cost too, but still a lot less expensive than the seating I normally look at.
  • They’re strong. Much stronger than they look! They can hold up to 330 pounds.
  • They weigh practically nothing.

This is really my other favorite part (besides the prettiness factor) because my students sit at tables and we work in many different groups throughout the week. It is SO much easier to move these little stools to a new group.

And to put them away at night…

• They’re non-obtrusive.
I know this probably sounds weird, but just I love that you can’t really see them when the kids push them in under the tables when we leave. It really reduces the visual clutter!
And that is it…my ode to my stools. Written in prose so as not to annoy you after a long day of work.
I wasn’t asked to review these, just bought them on my own. If you’d like to take a peek at them, they are at School Outfitters (they come in a pack of 5): Plastic Stack Stool
Do you have any seating favorites in your class? Thanks for visiting!

• Kristin April 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

πŸ™‚ I am so happy you love them as much as me!!!! πŸ™‚

• Dana April 11, 2013 at 12:00 am

I have a couple stools in my classroom at my centers. But sadly they are falling apart. They are obviously not as good as these babies. I am going to have to check them out because I too like how they are clutter free. Hey we need all the space we can get right!?

Polka Dots, Checks and Stripes

• Karen King April 11, 2013 at 12:57 am

I have stool almost like that but I got them at IKEA and my 5th graders LOVE them. They were only $5.99 each. They have black, white, and one more color (but I can't think of it now).

• icesk8abc April 11, 2013 at 1:23 am

Now that the two of you have these, I am drooling over them even more. I want these for next year. I have tables also and I like the idea of them being easy to move around. I have 3rd graders and I am glad to know they will work.

Thank you for the review!

• Amber April 11, 2013 at 2:05 am

Just bought 6 of these in an awesome teal blue at Ikea this weekend!

• Second-grade-alicious April 11, 2013 at 3:00 am

These are awesome and I wish I could buy them for my class but we get harped on if we try to get rid of the old furniture to make way for new. So sadly it is the ugly blue plastic seating for my room.

• Nicole J April 11, 2013 at 3:23 am

You are obsessed with those stools, but I am obsessed with your chevron-print rainbow rug!! I MUST HAVE IT! Where did you get it??

Nicole
    Teaching's a Hoot

• IrisGoddess May 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I love the stools but I'm obsessed with that rug as well! Where did you get it??? How much? It's so awesome!

• Exploring Third Grade April 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I am buying right now! Can't wait to use them in my new classroom!!!

Thank you so much for the tip!

πŸ™‚ Carmen
    Exploring Third Grade!

• Elizabeth April 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Looks like I will be looking into some new stools πŸ™‚ The cube storage boxes I bought last summer get in the way and these can be stacked and put in the corner at the end of the day. Win, win πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing, Kristen πŸ™‚

• Heather April 12, 2013 at 1:12 am

I ordered a set of 5 after I read about them from The Teeny Tiny Teacher and we love them! They are so light, my 2nd graders can move them anywhere in our classroom. LOVE them!

✞Heather
    Swinging Through Second Grade
    hdawntn@hotmail.com

• Emily April 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Love my Ikea stools. Just like previous people stated, they are $5.99 at Ikea. I got orange and black two years ago (our school colors) but they have the loveliest teal right now. They hold up beautifully. =)

Emily @ Second Grade SillinessΒ

• ThinkWonder Teach April 14, 2013 at 2:05 am

Oh! I have never thought about stools but I love this simple alternative.

Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

• Unknown April 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I love the stools! I will have to look into them! I am going to be teaching 5th grade this year! πŸ™‚ Also, where did you get your adorable chevron rug??? I LOVE IT!!!

• Amber Unger April 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I agree – stools like yours have many benefits! I have a pink one that I picked up on sale at JoAnn Fabrics, and I wish I had bought more. I have gone back to snag more, but they haven't carried them since…bummer! I searched for a picture of mine, but I was only able to see it in the 25th (yes, the 25th, sorry) picture in this post:

• Marlana April 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

How cute! I just found them in all different colors, too. I am thinking about getting them for our library next year. Do you think they could withstand that much use?

Blessings,
    Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten

• Ms.M April 20, 2013 at 5:51 am

OMG! I have to tell you that I don't have these stools but some other older ones that look very similar to these. THEY ARE MY FAVORITE. I use them at my guided reading/ small group table. My fave part is that they tuck under my table to stack easily!

However, mine are old now and pretty abused. Don't get me wrong they are holding up well, but they don't match and yours are MUCH cuter. Sooooo I think I will copy you and switch!

Thanks for the inspiration lv.
    Mels