Peek at my Week: April 1st-5th

March 31, 2013

Peek at my Week: April 1st-5th

March 31, 2013
Happy Easter everyone!! I’m stopping by to share a glimpse into some of the activities going on in my 5th grade class this week.
I have admired Deedee’s weekly plans for a long time now. I just love seeing what she is doing in her class…it’s almost like getting to sit in the back of her room and see everything happen! That would be an awesome experience for sure 🙂
And, ever since Deedee began the Peek at my Week Linky, I have been dying to join in. So I decided to finally take the leap this week and try it out myself!
This isn’t my full schedule (since some of the lessons I use come out of our curriculum books) but it is an overview of the major lessons and activities my class will covering this week…complete with links to all of the activities/units (from some incredible teachers out there!).

So, here’s a peek at my week:

The Word Analysis is something I’ve been working on and using all year with my class. It should be ready (hopefully) in a couple of weeks and I am very excited to share more about it.
What are you working on in class this week? Thanks for visiting! 🙂

• Sandy March 31, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Your visual plans are so cute!!!! Love them! I still need to figure out how to do them, but in the meantime I love reading everyone else's and have gotten some wonderful ideas!!! Happy Easter!

• ~Stephanie March 31, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Your plans look awesome! I LOVE Jen's Chris Van Allsburg pack. It is truly fabulous. And I am so glad you are using Calendar. I just love seeing it in action (in someone else's classroom other than my own 😉 ) Here's to a good week!

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Runde's Room March 31, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Oh my goodness – I cannot WAIT to see your word analysis pack – I've been looking for a spelling / word work pack that fits in my classroom for ages!!! Looks like a fun week for the kiddos!!!

Jen

• Exploring Third Grade March 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I LOVE and I mean I LOVE Miss Nannini March Madness packet! My kids are going crazy over it and don't even realize all they are learning!

Carmen

• Mrs. Richardson March 31, 2013 at 11:10 pm

You did a fantastic job with your plans!! I love that they are different and you put them in different categories! I may have to give this a style a shot soon!
    Amanda
    Mrs. Richardson's Class

• Ashley Sanderson April 1, 2013 at 1:24 am

The plans looks great! I like having the visual plans too. I just recently started linking up with Deedee too and it's nice to do every Sunday. We are starting our butterfly unit this week! We will be observing caterpillars turn into butterflies over the next week! This is one of my favorite times of the year! Have a good week.

Ashley
    Flying High in First Grade

• YoungTeacherLove April 1, 2013 at 2:16 am

Oh my goodness, I MUST start doing these! What a fabulous idea! I had seen Deedee's but wasn't quite sure how I could make it work for upper el.

Your kids are in for a super fun week! I hope you guys enjoy March Madness!! You will LOVE Jen's Inferencing Pack. We are using it now and it has been so awesome. Have a fabulous week with your kids!

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Deedee Wills April 1, 2013 at 2:19 am

You are awesome! I love how you have your lessons presented! Smart! Smart! Smart!

• Tina Crofts April 1, 2013 at 3:35 am

Love how you presented this! The Stranger is such a great book. I always have to reread it a couple days later because my kids want to think about it again.

Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

• Ms.M April 1, 2013 at 5:35 am

Look good lv! I really have to get my act together and start participating in all these great linkys again.
    Mels

• Lori April 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Looks like a week full of learning and fun! I need to take a look at that Reading Between the Lines.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• 4321Teach April 3, 2013 at 12:48 am

I love Chris Van Allsburg and The Stranger is such a great book. It really challenges kiddos to read both the text and words closely.
    I've been MIA for awhile and wanted to stop by and check what you have been up to. So bummed I missed your giveaway but congrats on 5000 followers. Any advice on ways to increase my numbers?
    Hope you are having a great week. 🙂
    Antoinette

• 4321Teach April 3, 2013 at 12:48 am

I meant text and pictures closely. lol
    Antoinette

• Morgan Heidt April 3, 2013 at 1:40 am

I love all of these ideas! Pinterest always has awesome ideas for not only what and how to teach, but also how to decorate your classroom. I don't know what I would do without it!

• Michele April 3, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I love that you are using The Stranger! It is one of my favorite books. I use it in the fall to introduce my Reader's Notebook jobs. We do The Stranger together as a model, and then I use 5 other books for practice bfore moving into a novel.
    Enjoy your week!
    Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

• Lauren Bell April 5, 2013 at 1:43 am

I will be checking out The Stranger from our library! Sounds like it's a must read. I am a 5th Grade teacher as well, and we have been rockin' the Paragraph of the Week all year and love it!! My kiddos writing organization is SO much better since we started that. Also, been rocking' some March Madness. I love how engaged and into the NCAA tournament. It's FABULOUS. Sounds like you've had a great week! Love the visual lesson plan. Very cool. 🙂

• Cal Hackler April 14, 2013 at 1:47 am

Will the Word Analysis lesson deal with Latin and Greek root words? As a pre-service science teacher, I use a lot of Latin and Greek root words in my core classes. These root words are very useful in understanding the meaning of similar words. I would find it very beneficial for fifth grade students to learn this skill.

• Does your team use shared drives?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We do and I love it...but I do not love the sea of gray folders (why can’t we change the colors??).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One thing I’ve done over the years is to use emojis next to the folder name. The visual really helps in finding things quickly!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you go to an emoji site (like emojipedia.org) you can copy and paste any of your favorites right into your folder names!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀While I still yearn for more color 😂 these emojis help in the meantime.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I don’t like to make a huge deal out of iReady data with my students...it really is only one piece of information about them as learners.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I do think a bit of accountability helps...and my students are always wanting to know their scores and progress on the diagnostic.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I made this data tracking sheet to focus on growth. I marked the on grade level range to help my students have an idea of where they scored. We aren’t making a big deal of what actual grade level they scored on, just focusing more on progress towards that on level range. We will store these pages in their binders, so their information is private.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made data sheets for grades 3-5, in case anyone would like to try this with their upper-elementary students. Please click the link in my profile to make a cooy to your drive: bit.ly/ireadystudentdata⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you can use this! I think having a closer look at data has helped my students this year...I didn’t do this during our first year of iReady and I think my students didn’t have a good idea of their level/progress. Do you track diagnostic scores with your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a little sheet that’s been a big help for those midyear iReady diagnostics!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I wanted a quick, at-a-glance sheet...and this one has helped a lot. I made a box below the mid and end of the year scores to track growth or loss.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Does your district use iReady? I hope some of you are able to use these sheets! I combined the math and reading into one file...please click the link in my profile to make a copy for yourself: bit.ly/ireadyscoresheet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For those who use iReady, have you taken the midyear diagnostic yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Fascinating Fridays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been trying something new to liven up our learning in 2020...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it was so easy to set up, thanks to @mysterysci! Have you tried Mystery Science yet? I’ve been meaning to for so long now and wish I had sooner...it’s incredible!! Everything is prepped for you and there are videos to build background, present the mystery, and walk the students through the science experiment/activity. Not an ad, just a love of this amazing site!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So this past Friday we explored two volcano mysteries. For the first, we mapped out volcanoes and identified patterns we noticed, as an exploratory introduction to the Ring of Fire.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For the second mystery, we investigated different types of lava and whether they form shield or cone volcanoes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We also worked on some volcano research in our Field Journals (blank Target books) using the nonfiction text features we’ve been reviewing in class (the index in particular!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used some lighting and video to add to the theme (there’s an awesome, 45 minute video of real volcanic eruptions on YouTube).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I was inspired to get some tap lights and colorful spotlights by Tanya @giftedteacher305...she does the most amazing things in her class!! I’m a big fan of lights because they set the mood with very little work involved on my part #lazyteacher.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I added some black tablecloths to our tables, put a tap light in the center, and threw some red, orange, and yellow streamers on top. Instant fire. The whole setup took about 20 minutes and my students LOVED it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I love how the day was one to remember and filled with hands-on, meaningful learning, but also very easy for me to plan and set up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried Mystery Science before? What are your favorite mysteries on there? I can’t wait to try more!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#science #iteachscience #mysteryscience #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I’ve been saving some google drive tutorials in my highlights this week...I hope some of you are able to use them!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I know I shared this tip back in the fall but it’s one of my favorite timesavers for making fraction printables. And I added the steps with pictures in my stories...it’ll be under the fractions highlight for those not ready to think about school yet (we head back tomorrow!!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Happy New Year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googleslides #iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • HUGE time-saver for designing fraction visuals!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Fractions are such a major part of fourth grade math and I am always looking for ways to streamline the process of making visuals and papers for my students.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it turns out there is a really easy way to make fraction circles using google sheets!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And there are so many great things about it! The circles are perfectly divided in a snap, you can use any colors you’d like, and adding labels takes just a moment!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I saved the steps in my highlights, in case you’d like to try it out. Are you teaching fractions soon? I hope this will help if so! Happy New Year!!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram