Tutorial: Introduction to ppt for Printables

January 6, 2013

Tutorial: Introduction to ppt for Printables

January 6, 2013
Happy Sunday everyone! I hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

The tutorial I am sharing today was made for a very good teacher friend of mine, who is just starting out on PowerPoint. We were talking about the basics and I thought I would make a video (and maybe some more after this?) for people who are new to designing in PowerPoint.

So, this video is dedicated to my lovely friend (that’s my shoutout to you, girl!!) and to all of those new bloggers and store owners out there. I hope it will be of help if you are just getting comfortable with ppt πŸ™‚

• Jenna January 6, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I have been trying to figure out how to do this!!! Just what I was looking for!!

Thanks a bunch!!
    Jenna
    Just Diving In

• Annie Moffatt January 6, 2013 at 8:06 pm

LOVE, LOVE this tutorial! You ALWAYS teach me something new!! Thank you my BOGGING HERO!!
    The Moffatt Girls

• Diane R January 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

This is exactly what I needed. As always, thank you so much!

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Glitzy In First Grade January 6, 2013 at 8:18 pm

LOVE when someone is willing to take the time to share!!!! THANK YOU soooo much!

• robyn January 6, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Thank you very much for sharing this! I, too, am a visual learner, and this is terrific!
    Thanks, again for taking the time to share this tutorial.

• Tonya January 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm

This is wonderful…I had no idea about grouping! I have an older computer with a student edition of PowerPoint…I couldn't find the grouping. I bet it is something I need to get and upadte…or just get a new computer;)

Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

• Aimee V. January 6, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for sharing!! I knew there had to be a way to group objects without selecting the whole page!

Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

• Angie Henry January 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thank you for sharing. I hope to see more tutorials. Perhaps you could do some how to get started using powerpoint tutorials for novices like me!

• Mrs. Phillips January 6, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Power point is so valuable, and so was this tutorial….thank you! All of your tutorials are so helpful. I was wondering….do you know how to upload pictures with the cute labels on them? For example, your photos would say "Ladybug Teaching Files" on them (on like a white banner). I've seen this look a lot now on the blogs, and would love to learn how to do the same for mine! Maybe a tutorial for this little trick?? Thanks Kristen!

Lindsey

• Sharon McBee January 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Awesome post! Just what I needed! Thanks!
    Sharon

Buggy for First Grade

• Hollie January 6, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I'm new to ppt and only use it make my class newsletters. I wondered if there was a grouping feature since I know how to create Smart Board activities. I only know the basics so this video was GREAT. Please share more tips in creating ppt slides.

• Elizabeth January 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I always learn something new from you with every post. I wish I were brave enough to make some videos of things that I do. But, I think I will leave that up to the expert πŸ˜‰

Happy Sunday!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Miss Kindergarten January 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Kristen??? Is this the correct video!?!?

• Caryn January 6, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Thank you for the awesome video! It looks like I will have to get PowerPoint for my Mac- it seems to have more features than Keynote. I can't wait to start creating!

• KinderKapers January 7, 2013 at 12:07 am

Thanks for sharing!! It looks a little different on my PC, but I think I can make it work. It is good to know I am doing it right. It took me awhile to figure out that powerpoint is for more than presentations. I am having so much fun creating stuff!

Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

• Laurie January 7, 2013 at 12:52 am

Thanks for sharing!! I've gone away from Word and have been using Pages for quite awhile. Maybe I'll give Powerpoint a try!!

Do you know if you can have one file with the pages both horizontal and vertical? I'm still trying to figure out if this can be done in Pages too.

Laurie
    First Grade Lyons' Den

• Christina Marie January 7, 2013 at 3:05 am

Thanks for the tutorial. I have been blogging for about two months now and I think I am just about ready to jump into the TpT scene and this will be helpful!

Christina πŸ™‚
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

• Beach Mama January 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Oooh! This is great! Thank you!

• LC January 7, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I can't get the video to work. It only comes up as a screen shot. What am I doing wrong?

• Kristen January 7, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Hi, it's there, but might not be showing up in your particular browser or device (I can't see it on my iPad, but it shows on my laptop). Could you try a different browser to see? Thanks!

• Michele January 7, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Great information. I've only been blogging for a little over 2 months, and there's so much to learn. I am excited and sometimes a little overwhelmed by it, but I really appreciate your videos. They demostrate everything, and I can stop the video, go to PPT, and try it, then come back and watch some more. Thank you! I really appreciate having this resource. I am your newest follower!
    Michele
    The Lightbulb Lab

• Mrs.DuChene January 7, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Is there a link missing? I am having the same problem as the LP.

• Kristen January 7, 2013 at 11:53 pm

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I'm at work, so I can't get it to come up and haven't had time to watch it at home. Maybe this is in the video and I just haven't been able to check it out yet, but how do you "lock" images in PowerPoint so that others can't take them when you create files? Apparently if you don't lock them, they can still be copied when you make a PDF (or so I've heard). I use a PC, so I'm hoping it works the same way as it does for you. πŸ™‚

Thanks as always for your wonderful ideas. You make great things and I appreciate that you share it with the rest of us!

• Sarah Paul January 8, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Hi Kristen! You are so sweet to make these videos. I have a (sort of) related question that I was hoping you could answer. I've been using PowerPoint for over a year and I've had this problem the whole time. I've googled to try to find the answer and experimented (logging way too many hours) and still no luck. You are the techy guru so I was hoping you might know. So I have a Mac and I always make pretty big units with frames, clip art, etc. When I convert to pdf, the file is huge so I have to reduce the file size. I do this using Preview (save as…reduce file size). When I do this, my file gets way smaller which is great. My clip art looks clear, hooray! But my frames are slightly fuzzy. Not crazy fuzzy but just not perfectly crisp as I'd like. What am I missing? It's been so frustrating. If you can help me, I'd be eternally grateful!! πŸ™‚ If you are too busy, I totally understand! πŸ™‚

Thanks again for all your fabulous work!

Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

(PS. I learned how to do that link from one of your videos!) πŸ™‚

sgpaul26@gmail.com

• Mercedes @ Surfing to Success January 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I linked to this video tutorial on my Tips and Tutorials Page. I hope that is OK. Great tutorial!

-Mercedes

• Julie Goode January 16, 2013 at 2:34 am

Love this tutorial! I would love to share this on my blog πŸ™‚
    -Julie
    The Techie Teacher

• Christine January 17, 2013 at 2:51 am

Thanks for another great tutorial – really helpful! Since I watched your last tutorial I've made so much for my classroom using powerpoint!! Thanks again for your website, I love it!

• Ramon Abajo January 21, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Kristin,
    This resource is awesome. Thanks for sharing! I started following you in my Reader!

Best,
    Ramon
    Fonts 4 Teachers
    Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT

• Abby Bozman January 24, 2013 at 1:46 am

I have heard so much about making things in PowerPoint, but wasn't sure what the benefits were. I picked up many new tricks from watching! Thanks so much for sharing!

Wizard of Boz

• MaryAnn January 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Super helpful! I would never have thought to try PPT for this purpose – and even if I had, I would not have known where to start. Thanks so much! πŸ™‚

• Heather January 29, 2013 at 6:57 am

I get so frustrated with creating files in Word. I'm going to play around with Power Point tomorrow! Thanks for the great tutorial!