Tutorial: Landscape AND Portrait in ppt!

December 30, 2012

Tutorial: Landscape AND Portrait in ppt!

December 30, 2012
Are you a powerpoint-designing teacher at heart? Do you just love the ease with which the graphics fly over the pages of your ppt slides? Do you smile with delight at your ability to whip up the cutest little docs in a matter of minutes? Does your love of Powerpoint only stop when it comes to the fact that it’s just not made to have both landscape and portrait in one file??
Well, there are a couple of ways to get around this, actually, and one of our very favorites is grouping. I say “our” because my bff sister Melissa (over at Fashion Craze, Learning Days) was the one who first showed grouping to me, back when she was starting out blogging. And we’ve both been grouping-crazy ever since!
Grouping is great! Not only does it allow you to change the layout of your slides, it also gives you some other great designing options. Would you like to learn more? Just take a peek at the video below…

Thank you for watching! Do you have any favorite tips for Powerpoint-designing you would like to share with us? 🙂

• Megan @ I Teach. What's Your Super Power? December 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Oh my gosh. So smart!!! Thanks for sharing this tidbit!

Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

• Primary Paradise December 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thank you so much. I love learning about extra features on power point. The video was awesome.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

• Ashley Kathleen December 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this!! I use PowerPoint for all of my creations & this will save me tons of time! Thank you!

Ashley
    The Resource Room Teacher

• ~Stephanie December 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Now THIS is VERY useful! Thank you so much for the tutorial…I am so lame at all of this stuff…takes me forever to learn how to do it all!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron December 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm

woooo!!!! you totally rock my socks 🙂
    Jen
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

• Emily December 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Thank you!

• Faith Wheeler December 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Oh, I can't wait to watch this! I'm creating a set right now where I needed pages both ways. Thank you so much for creating this video 🙂

• Lindsay December 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

You are ah-mazing Ladybug! Love it.

Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

• FunintheFours December 30, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Brilliant – absolutely BRILLIANT!! I'm wondering what other amazing things powerpoint can do that I don't know about! Thanks so much for this!!

• Elizabeth December 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

You work fast!! Thanks for this (and all) tutorial!!!

You rock!
    E

• Down Under Teacher December 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Love, love, love this post!! Ah-mazing! I will put this to use straight away! Thank you for sharing this tutorial!

Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

• Mrs. Wathen December 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm

AMAZING and EASY! Thanks for sharing:)

Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

• Dawn December 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This is soooo much better than the way I've been doing things in powerpoint. This tip will save me a lot of time! Thank you for sharing!
    Can you possibly share the tip to make my blog link clickable under my name when I comment on a blog post? I bet it's super simple, but I can't figure it out. Thank you again!

Dawn
    adventuresinfirstwithmrskey.blogspot.com

• Shelly Sitz December 31, 2012 at 12:19 am

My son taught be about grouping objects this summer. It is a big help!

Shelly
    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

• Katie December 31, 2012 at 12:31 am

I'm soooo excited about this!! 🙂 WOO HOO!! This makes me about as excited as when I found from another tutorial of yours that I could match colors for my text! 🙂 You Rock!! 🙂 I wish I had something new to share, but I'm sure you know everything I know!

✎Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

• Kindergarten Myles December 31, 2012 at 12:40 am

Thanks. Nice tutorial. This is totally what I do which I figured out by accident when I was designing cards with my daughter. Grouping is good to make foldable books as well since you may need "pages" upside down. I don't like that it won't let me group tables and graphics together. Another thing I learned by accident was to select the new picture after grouping and "lock the aspect ratio" before resizing.
    Thanks
    Jenn
    prlhrbr at yahoo.com

• Miss Kindergarten December 31, 2012 at 12:54 am

Kristen!!! I've used grouping before but clearly incorrectly!! haha! I love your tutorials!!! Keep em coming!!!

• Jamie (2nd Grade Stuff) December 31, 2012 at 1:17 am

You're so stinkin' cute! We were just talking about this and look how quickly you made it happen! 🙂 You're awesome girl!

Jamie

• Nicole Shelby December 31, 2012 at 1:26 am

Thank you so much for making this! I appreciate it very much! 🙂 You rock, Kristen!

~Nicole

• Lisa at Fourth and Ten December 31, 2012 at 1:29 am

Great, great, tutorial! 🙂 LOVE IT!
    Lisa
    Fourth and Ten
    Like Fourth and Ten on Facebook!

• Corinna December 31, 2012 at 1:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing!! I just discovered grouping and didn't realize what a great tool this is:)

Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

• ~brookeb~ December 31, 2012 at 1:44 am

I love your handy tips 🙂 and your sweet voice. Thanks for sharing!
    Brooke

• Julie December 31, 2012 at 2:40 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is just what I needed – I'm just getting started on TPT and your tutorials are SO helpful!

• Liz December 31, 2012 at 2:55 am

Oh my goodness, I'm going to love using this tip! I had no idea how to do it!

• The Wild Rumpus December 31, 2012 at 2:58 am

I literally just spent the morning futzing around with getting a landscape page into a portrait document! This is so helpful–thank you!

• Erica Bohrer December 31, 2012 at 3:26 am

Great tip! I always merge the two documents on my desktop once they are pdf files. Do you use a trackpad or a magic mouse with your computer?

• Linda December 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! Your tutorials are soooo helpful! I recently switched to ppt to create my files (after watching another of your past tutorials) and I just can't believe how much easier it is!
    Thank you! Thank you!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

• Michele December 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Genious! I have been trying to figure out an easy way to to do this FOREVER!
    Thank you so much!

Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

• Emily December 31, 2012 at 4:16 pm

It cracks me up to watch your videos because we have similar thought processes. Thanks for sharing! =)

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness

• Sarah December 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Oh my goodness that was brilliant! I group all the time when I am making my books but it NEVER occurred to me to use it to put portrait and landscape together. What a simple and fast way to do it! THANK YOU so much for sharing!!!! This will make my life soooooo much simpler!

Sarah
    Clearly Kindergarten

• Miss T December 31, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hahaha apparently I've used grouping wrong! I've grouped and done the c and p to other pages….but now I need to try using grouping for landscape/portrait in the same pack hehe. Thanks!

Journey of a Substitute Teacher

• Jen (Hello Mrs. Sykes) December 31, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Thank you so much!! This is such a time saver!! I really appreciate you sharing! 🙂

~Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

• stephf54 December 31, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Grouping is a life saver! I was so excited when I first learned about it. I didn't think about using it this way to get those landscape and portrait slides in one slideshow/pdf. This is great, thanks!

• Barbara January 1, 2013 at 8:28 am

Sounds cool. I was wondering about that too. For some reasoni can't view the video on my iPad but I'm definitely looking at it in my desktop.
    Happy new year, bloggy friend!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• Tanya January 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Super cool! I am totally going to go crazy with grouping! Thank you!
    ☺ Tanya
    fantabulous1stgr@aol.com
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

• Holly January 2, 2013 at 1:58 am

Oh for the love of PETE!!!!!!!!! You have just made my day…you just started off 2013 off RIGHT for me….

xoxoxoxoxooxxooxoooxooxoxxo

Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

• Ms.M January 3, 2013 at 3:39 am

Always lv your tutorials even if I don't use PP much. LOL

Melissa

• Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey January 7, 2013 at 3:58 am

Thanks so much for another great tutorial!

Rosey Josey

Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey

• Sarah Paul January 8, 2013 at 10:04 pm

YES!!! Thank you so much for teaching me this. That is so helpful. I've converting it to pdf and then dragging all of them over. UGH! Thank you!

Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

• Jaimie Knudson January 21, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hip! Hip! Hooray! You just saved me hours in my DAY!!!!! Thank you so much for this very helpful tool! How do you figure it all out?????? Thank you!!!
    Jaimie Knudson
    Kinderworldway@blogspot.com

• Ramon Abajo January 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I love this. You are great!

Best,
    Ramon
    Fonts 4 Teachers
    Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT

• Does your team use shared drives?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We do and I love it...but I do not love the sea of gray folders (why can’t we change the colors??).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One thing I’ve done over the years is to use emojis next to the folder name. The visual really helps in finding things quickly!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you go to an emoji site (like emojipedia.org) you can copy and paste any of your favorites right into your folder names!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀While I still yearn for more color 😂 these emojis help in the meantime.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I don’t like to make a huge deal out of iReady data with my students...it really is only one piece of information about them as learners.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I do think a bit of accountability helps...and my students are always wanting to know their scores and progress on the diagnostic.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I made this data tracking sheet to focus on growth. I marked the on grade level range to help my students have an idea of where they scored. We aren’t making a big deal of what actual grade level they scored on, just focusing more on progress towards that on level range. We will store these pages in their binders, so their information is private.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made data sheets for grades 3-5, in case anyone would like to try this with their upper-elementary students. Please click the link in my profile to make a cooy to your drive: bit.ly/ireadystudentdata⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you can use this! I think having a closer look at data has helped my students this year...I didn’t do this during our first year of iReady and I think my students didn’t have a good idea of their level/progress. Do you track diagnostic scores with your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a little sheet that’s been a big help for those midyear iReady diagnostics!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I wanted a quick, at-a-glance sheet...and this one has helped a lot. I made a box below the mid and end of the year scores to track growth or loss.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Does your district use iReady? I hope some of you are able to use these sheets! I combined the math and reading into one file...please click the link in my profile to make a copy for yourself: bit.ly/ireadyscoresheet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For those who use iReady, have you taken the midyear diagnostic yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Fascinating Fridays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been trying something new to liven up our learning in 2020...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it was so easy to set up, thanks to @mysterysci! Have you tried Mystery Science yet? I’ve been meaning to for so long now and wish I had sooner...it’s incredible!! Everything is prepped for you and there are videos to build background, present the mystery, and walk the students through the science experiment/activity. Not an ad, just a love of this amazing site!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So this past Friday we explored two volcano mysteries. For the first, we mapped out volcanoes and identified patterns we noticed, as an exploratory introduction to the Ring of Fire.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For the second mystery, we investigated different types of lava and whether they form shield or cone volcanoes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We also worked on some volcano research in our Field Journals (blank Target books) using the nonfiction text features we’ve been reviewing in class (the index in particular!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used some lighting and video to add to the theme (there’s an awesome, 45 minute video of real volcanic eruptions on YouTube).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I was inspired to get some tap lights and colorful spotlights by Tanya @giftedteacher305...she does the most amazing things in her class!! I’m a big fan of lights because they set the mood with very little work involved on my part #lazyteacher.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I added some black tablecloths to our tables, put a tap light in the center, and threw some red, orange, and yellow streamers on top. Instant fire. The whole setup took about 20 minutes and my students LOVED it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I love how the day was one to remember and filled with hands-on, meaningful learning, but also very easy for me to plan and set up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried Mystery Science before? What are your favorite mysteries on there? I can’t wait to try more!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#science #iteachscience #mysteryscience #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I’ve been saving some google drive tutorials in my highlights this week...I hope some of you are able to use them!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I know I shared this tip back in the fall but it’s one of my favorite timesavers for making fraction printables. And I added the steps with pictures in my stories...it’ll be under the fractions highlight for those not ready to think about school yet (we head back tomorrow!!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Happy New Year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googleslides #iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • HUGE time-saver for designing fraction visuals!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Fractions are such a major part of fourth grade math and I am always looking for ways to streamline the process of making visuals and papers for my students.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it turns out there is a really easy way to make fraction circles using google sheets!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And there are so many great things about it! The circles are perfectly divided in a snap, you can use any colors you’d like, and adding labels takes just a moment!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I saved the steps in my highlights, in case you’d like to try it out. Are you teaching fractions soon? I hope this will help if so! Happy New Year!!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram