silence

December 20, 2012

silence

December 20, 2012
I’ve been afraid to break the silence and go back to talking about the silly little things I go on about here. My heart has been so heavy and my thoughts wrapped up in those who have been lost. At school, I’ve been focusing on enjoying each and every moment this week with my incredible students.
I really don’t know what else to say that hasn’t already been said so much more articulately by many others in our blogging community. I do know my perspective is forever altered and I will always strive to keep focus on what truly matters, both in school and out.

Thank you for listening to my jumbled thoughts, dear friends. I will be back to share some new organization and files from our classroom very soon.

• Lori Rosenberg December 20, 2012 at 2:38 am

I totally agree with you. I had mixed feelings about writing my first blog post after the tragedy. I felt terribly guilty, especially posting pictures of happy children. It just felt wrong. How dare we go on while those directly impacted by the tragedy are deep in despair? We all feel the same way. But, for the sake of our students, we must continue to give them everything they deserve and more. Life is too short and we have to live each day to the fullest. Sandy Hook will always be in my thoughts and prayers…
    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

• Becky December 20, 2012 at 3:39 am

Oh my gosh, I TOTALLY know what you mean. I haven't posted since Veterans Day and I wanted to post about using Guided Math Groups in my class. I've been planning it for about a week. BUT, everytime I sit down to start, I get this horrible guilty feeling in my stomach and I feel like a horrible and selfish person. I think I'm going to look at it like Lori (above) said, and be the teacher I know my stduents deserve and keep on keeping on. I still look at the little ones in my school and it makes me want to break down just thinking about anything happening to them. So sorry for the rant I just went on… I just wanted you to know you are not alone in how you are feeling. Have a wonderful holiday and I am really looking forward to your upcoming posts. 🙂
    Becky

• Gladys December 20, 2012 at 3:52 am

{{Hugs}} dear friend.

• ~Stephanie December 20, 2012 at 4:00 am

(((HUGS))) to you Kristen.

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• A Tale of 2 First Grades December 20, 2012 at 4:30 am

Kristen,

I totally agree with Lori! and the others too….hugs.

~Alison

• Mrs. C December 20, 2012 at 6:31 am

You said it best! I was getting cookies at the bakery today for our party and I had a rush of those same feelings. I am trying to enjoy every single minute…

• Tara December 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

I felt the same way friend! I had trouble posting our snow day post but hoped some could maybe use some of my ideas to help add some joy and smiles back into their classrooms before break. Our lives are forever altered….schools and teaching will never be the same….we have had many changes this week with security and the kids were very aware of it….I just tried hard to make sure they felt safe and had a little fun before break. Not an hour passes that I don't think about and pray for that community….I was awake in the middle of the night praying for them…be blessed today friend:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Courtney December 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

I agree. It just seems wrong to be blogging about school. Hope you have a fabulous week Kristen!

Swimming into Second

• The Wild Rumpus December 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

Kristen,
    It's been so sad, and none of has a road map as to what the right thing to do or say is. You need to do what feels comfortable for you.

What you said about your kids is so important and really resonates with me– I dropped many of my grand plans for fitting in this or that standard or lesson before break in favor of some winter crafts, some uplifting read alouds, some extended reading workshops with peaceful music in the background, some time with our 2nd grade buddy class–time that makes us all focus on the kids through a different lens.

• jamie Hoisman December 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I agree and you couldn't have said it any better! I can't get this whole tragedy out of my head! I feel so affected, but I live across the country in California-yet I feel like it happened to my best friend. I have also really been trying to enjoy my kids this week. I've definitely had a reversal of attitude. But I'm glad it's almost winter break, and I look forward to down time with friends and myself, to mentally heal. I will never forget Sandy Hook, but it is time to move passed the sadness, get out of the dark, and follow the light of those beautiful baby angels.

• YoungTeacherLove December 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hugs to you sweet friend. It was a horrible two days back in our entire district and county. Our district went under code red lock downs at almost every school, it was pure chaos. The day ended yesterday with me picking up a sweet 3rd grade boy off the floor after he passed out and started seizing. The stress and the chaos is horrible for not only teachers but for our children too. Our district decided to close schools for the reminder of the year until after break. I am so sad and my heart is still so heavy because I didn't get the chance to say goodbye to my kids, wish them a Merry Christmas, or celebrate with our holiday party because of all of this. Enjoy the time with your loved ones during this holiday season and take care.

• Elizabeth December 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Kristen. Hugs to you, my dear friend.

• What is your students’ favorite read aloud so far this year??⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We have so many we’ve loved...but I think Those Shoes is our class favorite so far.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I started keeping track of our read alouds in a google sheet and it has been SUCH a big help. We have a running count of books read so far (it counts automatically as I check off books, swipe to see!) and I can stop forgetting which titles I’ve already read! I feel much more organized with my read alouds this year 😊⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This resource is on sale in my store tonight...please see the link in my profile if you’d like to check it out: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#picturebooks #readalouds #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Setting up Google Classroom for a short week ahead!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Each year, my fourth graders have a blast with @digitaldivideconquer’s Plan Thanksgiving Dinner project! I love how it gives them the opportunity to work on their math fluency with a real-world application.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup is so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to use digital flyers these days, so I created a temporary category on our Classwork page in Google Classroom. I linked flyers for three of our local grocery stores...and added an emoji to make it stand out easily on our page.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The rest is simple...@digitaldivideconquer’s resource is print and go! It’s such a great activity to keep the students engaged before the holiday.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you working this week? What will you be doing with your class? I’d love to hear some more ideas to keep the focus this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • We are in school next week, are you? I won’t complain though...we used to work through Wednesday afternoon but now we only go until Tuesday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you on break yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teacherbreak #almostthere #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram