Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012

Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012
Hi everyone…I wanted to thank you for the sweet words of wisdom the other day. I read your comments again and again. I cherish your advice and thoughts more than I can express.
I have a lot of little things to share from our classroom…and now we are on break so I can get started. 🙂
For some reason, I always find myself giving my room an uplift this time of year. Must be because that lovely month of organization is close at hand–January!
I’ve been looking around the room and re-purposing some items and downsizing others…like my old showerboard/dry erase board:
(That’s an old picture…the board isn’t looking so great these days, it’s all markerish now).
So one of our newest additions to the class is a new whiteboard…of sorts:
They’re are actually little whiteboard panels I lined up and hot glued to our bulletin board.
And do you know what they are made of?
They are those foam boards used for presentations, but with a dry erase surface! (Do you ever get an idea in your head about something, google it, and find that it actually exists?? Best feeling!). You can see them here: Elmer’s Dry Erase Foam Boards.
These boards come in packs of two, are very light-weight, and can be configured in a number of different ways. The three lined up together are the perfect size for us to use for notes or with our computer projector…
(They’re not as crooked as they look in this picture, I promise, though they definitely aren’t perfect…I’ve been working on letting go of my type-A tendencies, haha!)

The dry erase surface is better than I even expected and erases very nicely (we use those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers).
The only downfall? We have to be careful of the cracks between each board…if they get too much marker on them, they may not erase (since they’re at the very edge of that foam board). We’ve talked about this in class and the students are great about not writing over the borders.
I have some other plans for these boards, which I will be sure to share in the new year. 🙂
What do you like to use your dry erase boards for?

• Emily December 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Very clever. I mainly don't write on the board for lessons anymore. My screen takes up a good portion and I use the ladybug / projector/ computer… What is always on the board are my objectives, my magnets of kids done/ not done, date, and homework.

• krazykindergarten December 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Another inexpesive option is found at the lumber yard….it is a white bathboard. We have used them as large white boards and we have also had the lumber yard cut them in 9 x 12 size for lapboards. Just another idea!!

• Lori December 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Great way to add another wipe off board to your room!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• The Science Penguin December 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Really cool! Thanks for sharing!

The Science Penguin

• Beth December 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

I am loving this ideas….as I detest chalk boards. Good tip. Thanks.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

• Mor Zrihen December 23, 2012 at 3:19 am

What a fabulous idea friend!!! You are super crafty!!! I wish I could stop by your room!!!!!! Happy Holidays xoxo

• Barbara December 23, 2012 at 5:49 am

Oooh, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• charlmarjo December 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I read on Pinterest that you can clean whiteboards with air freshener. It sounds weird, but it really works!

• Kelley Cirrito December 24, 2012 at 1:57 am

What a great idea!! You are so crafty! I hope you have a great holiday!!

• The Wild Rumpus December 24, 2012 at 2:11 am

Kristen–I love this. My Smartboard has attacked the whiteboard space, and I love this creative solution!

• Lisa Mattes December 24, 2012 at 3:31 am

I love whiteboards! This is great!! You are truly incredible, Kristen. I've been stalking you for quite some time and just love so many things about you! Your knack for graphics is just completely incredible and your generosity is sooo appreciated!!! Thank you so much for all you do!
    Growing Firsties

• Sherry Andrighetto December 24, 2012 at 6:21 am

Thank you for sharing. You always have creative ideas. I really love your creativity!
    Kindergarten Milestones

• Ms.M December 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love this idea. I basically use my dry erase board to project my doc cam on. I have a gazillion dry erase boards all over my room, all shapes and sizes but I am a bit "A type" with them and have a hard time letting the kids write on them. HOWEVER, I think I would so let them have at it with these

My big white board is sectioned off with ribbon. I was thinking if you wanted you could put tape or ribbon over the creases and have each board be for a different subject, or activity. Shrugs, just an idea. Though I totally get the appeal of putting them together to have one bog board. I am curious to see what else you will do with them.

Melissa

• How are you organizing your Google Classroom page?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I started out with days at first but the list was getting too long and cluttered-looking. So this week I am trying by subject and keeping each the same layout...mini-lesson and assignment. I’m hoping this will be easier to navigate for my fourth graders.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Do you have any tips to share with us? It’s so hard to rely on this page solely, rather than an additional resource like it usually is in class each day 😬⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#remotelearning #distancelearning #googleclassroom
    • Wishing I had realized this sooner...did you know you can reuse Google Classroom posts to copy similar assignments?! I had totally overlooked this feature in the past!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It’s funny...I thought I knew a lot about Google Classroom already but I’m learning many new things now that I am relying on it so heavily.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you learned any new tips you can share with us?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googleclassroom #distancelearning #remotelearning #iteachfourth #teachersofinstagram
    • Not captured in this image: the splitting headache I have from spending all day, every day on the computer. I miss my class 😭⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How are you doing with all of this?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingremotely #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach456 #teachersofinstagram
    • Trying to keep some healthy parameters on this remote learning. I had students on our classroom at all hours of the day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I had enabled commenting for the week and it was great having the opportunity to keep in touch. But I closed down commenting for the weekend to ensure my fourth graders take some well-earned time off! So far it’s working!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you using Google Classroom for remote/distance learning?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#distancelearning #remotelearning #googleclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach456 #teachersofinstagram
    • Are you using YouTube as part of your remote/distance learning? Today I found a way to share YouTube videos safely, without housing them on YouTube (I do NOT want to send my students down that rabbit hole 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There’s an amazing site that not only hosts your videos safely, but also creates a custom title and removes all sharing features!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to try it (swipe to see the pics for each step):⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀1. Go to https://safeyoutube.net.2. Paste your video link and click “generate link”.3. Click on “Customize/Crop”.4. Disable any buttons (I disabled all sharing and downloading).5. Give your video a custom title.6. Copy your new link and paste it right into Google Classroom...now your students can watch your video safely, not on YouTube!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The link to this site is in my profile...I hope it helps!! How is everyone doing with this remote/distance learning?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingremote #distancelearning #technologyintheclassroom #oroutoftheclasroomsadly #teacherssupportteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • As we move into remote learning I’ve been learning myself! I’ve been working to add mini-lessons to Google Classroom (our students are home this week and the next two weeks but teachers are in school right now getting ready for remote learning).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been using iMovie to loop together some short video segments and it makes it easy!! In this clip I had to change the work on the board...so I had to go and stop the video. I ended up with a few video clips when I was done.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then I went into iMovie and selected my video clips (see second pic) and created a new movie. iMovie automatically weaves the clips together with a fade out and back in, which saves me from having to trim the video (see third pic...all transitions are automatically taken care of!). It really made this whole process SO much easier.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The actual ache I had in my heart teaching to an empty room 😭 I’m having a really hard time right now.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But more importantly than all of this tech, how are you doing?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#imissmyclass  #teachingremote #iteachfourth  #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram