Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012

Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012
Hi everyone…I wanted to thank you for the sweet words of wisdom the other day. I read your comments again and again. I cherish your advice and thoughts more than I can express.
I have a lot of little things to share from our classroom…and now we are on break so I can get started. 🙂
For some reason, I always find myself giving my room an uplift this time of year. Must be because that lovely month of organization is close at hand–January!
I’ve been looking around the room and re-purposing some items and downsizing others…like my old showerboard/dry erase board:
(That’s an old picture…the board isn’t looking so great these days, it’s all markerish now).
So one of our newest additions to the class is a new whiteboard…of sorts:
They’re are actually little whiteboard panels I lined up and hot glued to our bulletin board.
And do you know what they are made of?
They are those foam boards used for presentations, but with a dry erase surface! (Do you ever get an idea in your head about something, google it, and find that it actually exists?? Best feeling!). You can see them here: Elmer’s Dry Erase Foam Boards.
These boards come in packs of two, are very light-weight, and can be configured in a number of different ways. The three lined up together are the perfect size for us to use for notes or with our computer projector…
(They’re not as crooked as they look in this picture, I promise, though they definitely aren’t perfect…I’ve been working on letting go of my type-A tendencies, haha!)

The dry erase surface is better than I even expected and erases very nicely (we use those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers).
The only downfall? We have to be careful of the cracks between each board…if they get too much marker on them, they may not erase (since they’re at the very edge of that foam board). We’ve talked about this in class and the students are great about not writing over the borders.
I have some other plans for these boards, which I will be sure to share in the new year. 🙂
What do you like to use your dry erase boards for?

• Emily December 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Very clever. I mainly don't write on the board for lessons anymore. My screen takes up a good portion and I use the ladybug / projector/ computer… What is always on the board are my objectives, my magnets of kids done/ not done, date, and homework.

• krazykindergarten December 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Another inexpesive option is found at the lumber yard….it is a white bathboard. We have used them as large white boards and we have also had the lumber yard cut them in 9 x 12 size for lapboards. Just another idea!!

• Lori December 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Great way to add another wipe off board to your room!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• The Science Penguin December 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Really cool! Thanks for sharing!

The Science Penguin

• Beth December 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

I am loving this ideas….as I detest chalk boards. Good tip. Thanks.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

• Mor Zrihen December 23, 2012 at 3:19 am

What a fabulous idea friend!!! You are super crafty!!! I wish I could stop by your room!!!!!! Happy Holidays xoxo

• Barbara December 23, 2012 at 5:49 am

Oooh, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• charlmarjo December 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I read on Pinterest that you can clean whiteboards with air freshener. It sounds weird, but it really works!

• Kelley Cirrito December 24, 2012 at 1:57 am

What a great idea!! You are so crafty! I hope you have a great holiday!!

• The Wild Rumpus December 24, 2012 at 2:11 am

Kristen–I love this. My Smartboard has attacked the whiteboard space, and I love this creative solution!

• Lisa Mattes December 24, 2012 at 3:31 am

I love whiteboards! This is great!! You are truly incredible, Kristen. I've been stalking you for quite some time and just love so many things about you! Your knack for graphics is just completely incredible and your generosity is sooo appreciated!!! Thank you so much for all you do!
    Growing Firsties

• Sherry Andrighetto December 24, 2012 at 6:21 am

Thank you for sharing. You always have creative ideas. I really love your creativity!
    Kindergarten Milestones

• Ms.M December 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love this idea. I basically use my dry erase board to project my doc cam on. I have a gazillion dry erase boards all over my room, all shapes and sizes but I am a bit "A type" with them and have a hard time letting the kids write on them. HOWEVER, I think I would so let them have at it with these

My big white board is sectioned off with ribbon. I was thinking if you wanted you could put tape or ribbon over the creases and have each board be for a different subject, or activity. Shrugs, just an idea. Though I totally get the appeal of putting them together to have one bog board. I am curious to see what else you will do with them.

Melissa

• Does your team use shared drives?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We do and I love it...but I do not love the sea of gray folders (why can’t we change the colors??).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One thing I’ve done over the years is to use emojis next to the folder name. The visual really helps in finding things quickly!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you go to an emoji site (like emojipedia.org) you can copy and paste any of your favorites right into your folder names!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀While I still yearn for more color 😂 these emojis help in the meantime.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I don’t like to make a huge deal out of iReady data with my students...it really is only one piece of information about them as learners.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I do think a bit of accountability helps...and my students are always wanting to know their scores and progress on the diagnostic.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I made this data tracking sheet to focus on growth. I marked the on grade level range to help my students have an idea of where they scored. We aren’t making a big deal of what actual grade level they scored on, just focusing more on progress towards that on level range. We will store these pages in their binders, so their information is private.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made data sheets for grades 3-5, in case anyone would like to try this with their upper-elementary students. Please click the link in my profile to make a cooy to your drive: bit.ly/ireadystudentdata⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you can use this! I think having a closer look at data has helped my students this year...I didn’t do this during our first year of iReady and I think my students didn’t have a good idea of their level/progress. Do you track diagnostic scores with your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a little sheet that’s been a big help for those midyear iReady diagnostics!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I wanted a quick, at-a-glance sheet...and this one has helped a lot. I made a box below the mid and end of the year scores to track growth or loss.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Does your district use iReady? I hope some of you are able to use these sheets! I combined the math and reading into one file...please click the link in my profile to make a copy for yourself: bit.ly/ireadyscoresheet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For those who use iReady, have you taken the midyear diagnostic yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Fascinating Fridays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been trying something new to liven up our learning in 2020...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it was so easy to set up, thanks to @mysterysci! Have you tried Mystery Science yet? I’ve been meaning to for so long now and wish I had sooner...it’s incredible!! Everything is prepped for you and there are videos to build background, present the mystery, and walk the students through the science experiment/activity. Not an ad, just a love of this amazing site!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So this past Friday we explored two volcano mysteries. For the first, we mapped out volcanoes and identified patterns we noticed, as an exploratory introduction to the Ring of Fire.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For the second mystery, we investigated different types of lava and whether they form shield or cone volcanoes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We also worked on some volcano research in our Field Journals (blank Target books) using the nonfiction text features we’ve been reviewing in class (the index in particular!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used some lighting and video to add to the theme (there’s an awesome, 45 minute video of real volcanic eruptions on YouTube).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I was inspired to get some tap lights and colorful spotlights by Tanya @giftedteacher305...she does the most amazing things in her class!! I’m a big fan of lights because they set the mood with very little work involved on my part #lazyteacher.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I added some black tablecloths to our tables, put a tap light in the center, and threw some red, orange, and yellow streamers on top. Instant fire. The whole setup took about 20 minutes and my students LOVED it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I love how the day was one to remember and filled with hands-on, meaningful learning, but also very easy for me to plan and set up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried Mystery Science before? What are your favorite mysteries on there? I can’t wait to try more!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#science #iteachscience #mysteryscience #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I’ve been saving some google drive tutorials in my highlights this week...I hope some of you are able to use them!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I know I shared this tip back in the fall but it’s one of my favorite timesavers for making fraction printables. And I added the steps with pictures in my stories...it’ll be under the fractions highlight for those not ready to think about school yet (we head back tomorrow!!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Happy New Year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googleslides #iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • HUGE time-saver for designing fraction visuals!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Fractions are such a major part of fourth grade math and I am always looking for ways to streamline the process of making visuals and papers for my students.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it turns out there is a really easy way to make fraction circles using google sheets!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And there are so many great things about it! The circles are perfectly divided in a snap, you can use any colors you’d like, and adding labels takes just a moment!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I saved the steps in my highlights, in case you’d like to try it out. Are you teaching fractions soon? I hope this will help if so! Happy New Year!!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram