Virtual Owl Pellets (file to share)

November 19, 2012

Virtual Owl Pellets (file to share)

November 19, 2012
Hi!! I want to wish a happy vacation to everyone who is out for the holiday this week! And to the others still in school, I hope you have a lot of fun with your students this week!
We’re in until Wednesday and I’m expecting the holiday excitement to be picking up steam quickly. So. What best to do with a roomful of 5th graders anxiously anticipating a four day weekend?? Dissect owl pellets!!! (At least I hope that’s the answer).
I just adore science (you guys know I love raising salmon each year and I’m nuts about our ecosystem bottles). But owl pellets? I have to admit, I’ve always thought “ew”. But the opportunity came up and I didn’t want my students to miss the chance.
So, on Tuesday, we will all be dissecting owl pellets for the first time!
In preparation for the dissection, I headed to my trusty MacBook to learn out everything I could…and find something to help my students build some background.
Well, turns out there is a very cool site where you can dissect an owl pellet virtually (ah, the cleanliness of the Internet!). I knew it would be PERFECT for students who were already feeling squeamish…not to mention my newcomer ELL students, who would need some great visuals to know what to expect.
The website?
It’s called KidWings and it is excellent! There’s a page to dissect a pellet virtually (this was a HIT with my 5th graders). As the students place the bones on the chart, a computer voice reads the name of each bone…I had a blast watching my students dissect, sort, and repeat those bone names!
But of course, being the mean teacher I am, I made them do some reading and discussion before virtually dissecting.
Because this website also has some nice reading about owl pellets…how they form, what they are made of, why they are important…
I whipped up a quick paper to accompany this reading…
…so my students would be armed with the basic info. before dissecting. Virtually. Which they loved!

We are now very excited and ready for the real dissection on Tuesday! And I will have some more files to share after we finish.

For now, if you’d like to grab the sheet feature above, please click here for the direct download.

Have you ever dissected owl pellets before? Or do you have a favorite science project to share? Perhaps you are on break and not really feeling all dissect-y! No worries, I understand! 🙂

Font and Graphics by Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com

• Diane R November 19, 2012 at 1:01 am

I don't teach science, but I remember one year when I had a hoarding student. During fifth grade conferences, it came to my attention that this student kept things under his pillow, including his fourth grade owl pellet. So… yeah.

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Anonymous November 19, 2012 at 1:39 am

I am a 3rd grade teacher and we dissect owl pellets as part of our Human Body science unit. The Human Body is also covered in 5th grade. I don't particualarly like the smell of the owl pellets, but the students LOVE being able to see what they can find. One bit of advice, make sure you soak the owl pellets overnight before you pass them out. It helps loosen up the hair so the students will have an easier time. It can be rather messy, so you may want to lay down newspaper or something like that over your tables as well. It'll be a lot of fun for you students! Good luck! 🙂

PS: I can't wait to see what other things you share with this unit. I love the file you posted and will definitely use it when we get to this unit later this year. 🙂

Casey

• Teacher and Life Long Learner November 19, 2012 at 1:43 am

THANKS for the freebie and the site recommendation. We are doing this -the real thing- in a few weeks! Smiles and stop by anytime!

• Emily November 19, 2012 at 1:56 am

Thank you! Last year I tackled owl pellets this with my class and they loved it. This year I used the owl pellets as an incentive to raise money for our classroom (field trip and enrichment) and they just raised enough last week. Now I have to order them…

Just an FYI – they stink! We did it outside on butcher paper with parent helpers using squirt bottles to soften them up. We also used popsicle sticks, opened paper clips, and toothpicks to help break them a part. I didn't have any tweezers.

• Mrs. Tatebe-Miller November 19, 2012 at 3:21 am

I attempted owl pellets last week with my second graders. Oh boy what an experience! I had some students get sick because of the smell. I didn't think it was that bad. We ordered ours from http://www.owlpellets.com. I liked the bone chart that came with the kit. It was interesting to see what the owl ate. Good luck with this project this week and as always thanks for the great info and freebie!

• Grade School Giggles November 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

I can remember doing this as an elementary school student. It's gross, but fun and educational. Thanks for sharing the freebie. I'm pinning this post on my science board.
    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

• Chrissy November 19, 2012 at 3:45 am

First, you totally made my day! Thank you for stopping by my blog today!

I've never dissected owl pellets, but I've seen them. VERY interesting! My favorite science activities involve ice and crystals. I'm looking forward to January!

• Ms.M November 19, 2012 at 4:33 am

Oh that is such a wonderful site. We don't dissect owl pellets and truth is I do think "ew" but I love the option of doing it on the net. Fab as always.
    M

• Molly November 19, 2012 at 6:54 am

This is perfect! Thank you so much for sharing this site and your adorable paper to accompany it!! I have been wanting to do owl pellets with my class for a while. I remember doing it when I was in 7th grade and it was so much fun! Although after reading the comments, I don't remember it spelling badly or being so messy! haha I still want to give it a try though! I'm excited to see how your actual dissections turn out!

Molly

• The Science Penguin November 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Cool! I love dissecting owl pellets with my kiddos. Their personalities always come out, but I've never had a kid who didn't participate or one that didn't think it was awesome! 🙂

The Science Penguin

• Beach Lovin' Teach November 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I just did owl pellets last week with my fourth graders and posted about it. Since we are learning about the scientific method, I created a sheet for them to become familiar with the process during the owl pellet experiment. I uploaded it free to my TPT so I'll link to that post it if you want to check it out. Have fun with the owl pellets!

Marie
    Beach Lovin' Teach

• Shawna November 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi Kristen,
    Thanks for the site info! I was just stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

• Gina Coniglio November 20, 2012 at 12:36 am

Owl pellets are awesome! We did them on Halloween. We had an owl themed day after our parade and this was part of it. My 3rd graders LOVED it!!! They could have picked through those things all day! After they found all the bones we glued them on black paper. It's very cool. I blogged about it. I love the sheet you created! Thanks!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

• Kristin November 20, 2012 at 3:13 am

I'm wondering if I can tweak this for first grade because I'm super intrigued!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your kiddos are so lucky to have you!!
    Kristen, I'm thankful for you and all of your support and for always stopping by my blog!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

• Heather (TeacherBug) November 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I've done this with my 4th graders many time and they LOVE it. I always make sure I cover their tables with newspaper and give them rubber gloves and toothpicks (that way they don't actually have to touch it!).
    Also, just an FYI, there is a really cool iPad app to virtually dissect owl pellets as well!

• ~Stephanie November 20, 2012 at 9:05 pm

That is really cool Kristen. To be honest, the owl pellets gross me out so much that I steer clear of them. This might be the way to go!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Kelly November 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm

That is a really neat site. Since I teach 1st, I passed the info to my daughter's 4th grade teacher. Thanks for the info!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

• Anonymous November 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I do this every year when we talk about food chains and food webs. Thanks for sharing the website. There is a picture book that goes along with owl pellets. It is called White Owl, Barn Owl.

• Lena L. November 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hi, Kristen! I love your website! I've been searching the Internet for ideas to incorporate in my Owl Pellet unit. I'm a sixth grade science teacher. I've dissected owl pellets when I was a fourth grade teacher in another district, but would like to go more in depth with my sixth graders in my current school district. I assigned a persuasive writing element for the students to convince me to dissect owl pellets with them. Some students have seen owl pellets in a museum or on a field trip during a scouting trip, but only for a few minutes. I wanted them to tell me what the benefits would be to dissect owl pellet, in addition to observing the bones, and to study the owl, it's prey and the bones. Once they "persuaded" me, I began with introducing them to the owl with an "Owl Dissection HD" App using our new iPads (we have 6 per classroom). I made a worksheet to go with the videos of the owlette, fledgling and adult owls which related to our Chapter 1 "Populations and Communities" vocabulary. Then, they watched and episode of "Dirty Jobs" by Mike Rowe called "Owl Vomit Collector" which explained the owl pellet's journey from nature to the classroom (I also made a worksheet to go with this). Then we began our dissection. We are now at the point where it's time to identify the prey by identifying the skeleton bones. In addition to this, I will have the students also compare the prey skeleton bones to the human skeleton bones, since some of the names and shape of the bones are similar. I think the students will find this very interesting because I did. Next, the students will construct the skeleton by gluing the bones on construction paper and placing them in a Pringles potato chip can to display (similar to a diorama). The outside of the can may be decorated like an owl. Another idea I had was to build a 3-D stand-up model of the prey with the skeleton bones. I was thinking of doing this with a material similar to Play-doh called Model Magic. This material is softer and lighter than Play-doh and doesn't get dry. We could glue the bones onto the Model Magic. This seems like it would work, in theory, but I'm not sure it would be practical. (I found black and Glow-in-the-Dark Model Magic!) We'll see. Next, we'll go back to the iPad to enter the data related to our Bone Identification. Our data will be averaged into a database across America. Then we can see the results and graph the information to incorporate a Mathematical lesson, as well. As our final demonstration of all the knowledge that the students have learned about populations, communities, owls, adaptations, predator, prey, abiotic, biotic, food webs, etc. we are still searching for an App that will allow us to incorporate video, photographs, music, voice overs, etc. So far we have looked into Animoto, prezi.com, (iMovie and similar Apps)… My class will be partnering up with a special ed. class to be "lab partners" and will mentor / assist the students with this lab in a couple of weeks, as well. Everyone is absolutely loving every experience that we are having with this unit!!!! Students, teachers, parents and administrators!!!!! I'll check in with your Blog when we are finished. PS When I was shopping around for owl pellets, last year, I did come across a website that did donate owl pellets. They were very generous, but the pellets were smaller than the ones that our Department decided to order, this year. Just an FYI. Good luck with your dissection!!!! Thank-you so much for your inspiration, creative website and generosity in sharing your wonderful teaching ideas!!!!! It's a gift for all educators!!!! (Please excuse any typos or misspellings.) If you have any questions, please let me know: llevin@dist50.net

• Caryn January 6, 2013 at 11:34 pm

We decided to do our owl pellet dissection on Halloween, AFTER the parade, party, sugar-rush etc. It was the perfect way to keep their minds off of trick-or-treating. Thank you for sharing your files!

• Sue Cahalane February 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hi Kristen! I started using Perfect Pellets from Fisher Scientific – they're great! There is a complete PLASTIC skeleton in every owl pellet. They look exactly like real owl pellets but they are not real, Fisher makes them in their labs. Less mess, no smell, less confusing skeletal parts all over the place! My students love this lab! I just started my science teacher blog, stop by if you get a chance, I'll be posting everything we do in lab!
    I love your blog, your tutorials are fantastic!
    ✿Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

• Does your team use shared drives?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We do and I love it...but I do not love the sea of gray folders (why can’t we change the colors??).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One thing I’ve done over the years is to use emojis next to the folder name. The visual really helps in finding things quickly!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you go to an emoji site (like emojipedia.org) you can copy and paste any of your favorites right into your folder names!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀While I still yearn for more color 😂 these emojis help in the meantime.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I don’t like to make a huge deal out of iReady data with my students...it really is only one piece of information about them as learners.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I do think a bit of accountability helps...and my students are always wanting to know their scores and progress on the diagnostic.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I made this data tracking sheet to focus on growth. I marked the on grade level range to help my students have an idea of where they scored. We aren’t making a big deal of what actual grade level they scored on, just focusing more on progress towards that on level range. We will store these pages in their binders, so their information is private.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made data sheets for grades 3-5, in case anyone would like to try this with their upper-elementary students. Please click the link in my profile to make a cooy to your drive: bit.ly/ireadystudentdata⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you can use this! I think having a closer look at data has helped my students this year...I didn’t do this during our first year of iReady and I think my students didn’t have a good idea of their level/progress. Do you track diagnostic scores with your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a little sheet that’s been a big help for those midyear iReady diagnostics!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I wanted a quick, at-a-glance sheet...and this one has helped a lot. I made a box below the mid and end of the year scores to track growth or loss.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Does your district use iReady? I hope some of you are able to use these sheets! I combined the math and reading into one file...please click the link in my profile to make a copy for yourself: bit.ly/ireadyscoresheet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For those who use iReady, have you taken the midyear diagnostic yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iready #testing #data #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Fascinating Fridays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been trying something new to liven up our learning in 2020...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it was so easy to set up, thanks to @mysterysci! Have you tried Mystery Science yet? I’ve been meaning to for so long now and wish I had sooner...it’s incredible!! Everything is prepped for you and there are videos to build background, present the mystery, and walk the students through the science experiment/activity. Not an ad, just a love of this amazing site!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So this past Friday we explored two volcano mysteries. For the first, we mapped out volcanoes and identified patterns we noticed, as an exploratory introduction to the Ring of Fire.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀For the second mystery, we investigated different types of lava and whether they form shield or cone volcanoes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We also worked on some volcano research in our Field Journals (blank Target books) using the nonfiction text features we’ve been reviewing in class (the index in particular!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used some lighting and video to add to the theme (there’s an awesome, 45 minute video of real volcanic eruptions on YouTube).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I was inspired to get some tap lights and colorful spotlights by Tanya @giftedteacher305...she does the most amazing things in her class!! I’m a big fan of lights because they set the mood with very little work involved on my part #lazyteacher.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I added some black tablecloths to our tables, put a tap light in the center, and threw some red, orange, and yellow streamers on top. Instant fire. The whole setup took about 20 minutes and my students LOVED it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I love how the day was one to remember and filled with hands-on, meaningful learning, but also very easy for me to plan and set up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried Mystery Science before? What are your favorite mysteries on there? I can’t wait to try more!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#science #iteachscience #mysteryscience #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I’ve been saving some google drive tutorials in my highlights this week...I hope some of you are able to use them!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I know I shared this tip back in the fall but it’s one of my favorite timesavers for making fraction printables. And I added the steps with pictures in my stories...it’ll be under the fractions highlight for those not ready to think about school yet (we head back tomorrow!!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Happy New Year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googleslides #iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • HUGE time-saver for designing fraction visuals!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Fractions are such a major part of fourth grade math and I am always looking for ways to streamline the process of making visuals and papers for my students.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it turns out there is a really easy way to make fraction circles using google sheets!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And there are so many great things about it! The circles are perfectly divided in a snap, you can use any colors you’d like, and adding labels takes just a moment!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I saved the steps in my highlights, in case you’d like to try it out. Are you teaching fractions soon? I hope this will help if so! Happy New Year!!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #fractions #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram