New blog features around here!

April 24, 2012

New blog features around here!

April 24, 2012
Hey everyone! Well, I may have gotten a teeny bit carried away with those thumbnail galleries we were talking about the other day. But once I got started, I couldn’t stop!!!
I decided I wanted most of my pages to have this kind of feature, except for my home page, which features my latest posts as usual. So…most pages now have thumbnail galleries featuring posts under those given subjects/categories, like so:

I think it’s a cool way to navigate the blog–instead of going back to find older posts, you can now jump around to anything that may interest you! I’m really hoping this is a feature you might enjoy.

I am still adding to the galleries this week…I have many more posts to link up to these and it may take some time!

If you are interested in reading more about how to create these thumbnail galleries, please stop by this previous post: Organizing blog posts with thumbnail galleries

Ok, confession time. I am on vacation. I am AWAY on vacation. Nothing major, just a favorite location we love to visit. But I took my laptop. I just can’t leave it behind! In a way, I’m glad I did…it’s been pouring buckets here and my sister and I have nothing to do but watch movies, shop, and hang out (very relaxing!!). Do you take your laptop on vacation??

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts April 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

ohmagoodness! I love it! I actually just found your Word Detectives posts with this handy new tool and I'm going to download them to use with my kiddos next year 🙂 Thank you so so much!

Oh, and I never go anywhere without my laptop, you just never know when you'll need it 😉

Have fun!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Sarah Paul April 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Ooohhh! I love this! Thanks! 🙂
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

• Courtney Bartlett April 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Love this idea for keeping the blog organized! Thanks for sharing Kristen!

Swimming into Second

• Miss J April 24, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Love these!!!

Miss J

Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

• Mrs. Cupcake April 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love how you organize your blog! And yes I definitely take my laptop on vacay!!! Well, within the U.S., I do.
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Elizabeth April 25, 2012 at 12:46 am

You are so stinkin' organized. Want to come to my classroom?

Also-I sent you an email…disregard. I figured it out all by myself and I'm so proud of myself 🙂

I knew you would be the person to ask if I couldn't.

Have a great night!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Tara April 25, 2012 at 12:48 am

Ok friend…..since you're on vaca and I'm not…you can do my blog too right?? This is too cool and def. on my to do list….just may have to wait until school is out…orrrrrrrrr better yet, my baby is coming home from college next weekend…this sounds like a good project for her:))

4th Grade Frolics

• Kristin April 25, 2012 at 12:58 am

Can I please hire you to do those thumbnails for me??? You are so awesome! I love it!
    I wish I was on vacay. I NEED IT!!! 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Jen April 25, 2012 at 1:17 am

These are awesome! You are like an organizing superhero! 🙂
    ~Jen

Jen's Kinder Kids
    Please come by & visit! 🙂

• Ms.M April 26, 2012 at 1:50 am

I take my laptop everywhere. Am I obsessed or what? Lol.

• Mor Zrihen April 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I LOVE this feature!!! You're my blog guru!!! I'm off to read more about it 🙂

Thank you for all you share with all of us!!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• What is your students’ favorite read aloud so far this year??⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We have so many we’ve loved...but I think Those Shoes is our class favorite so far.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I started keeping track of our read alouds in a google sheet and it has been SUCH a big help. We have a running count of books read so far (it counts automatically as I check off books, swipe to see!) and I can stop forgetting which titles I’ve already read! I feel much more organized with my read alouds this year 😊⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This resource is on sale in my store tonight...please see the link in my profile if you’d like to check it out: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#picturebooks #readalouds #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Setting up Google Classroom for a short week ahead!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Each year, my fourth graders have a blast with @digitaldivideconquer’s Plan Thanksgiving Dinner project! I love how it gives them the opportunity to work on their math fluency with a real-world application.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup is so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to use digital flyers these days, so I created a temporary category on our Classwork page in Google Classroom. I linked flyers for three of our local grocery stores...and added an emoji to make it stand out easily on our page.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The rest is simple...@digitaldivideconquer’s resource is print and go! It’s such a great activity to keep the students engaged before the holiday.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you working this week? What will you be doing with your class? I’d love to hear some more ideas to keep the focus this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • We are in school next week, are you? I won’t complain though...we used to work through Wednesday afternoon but now we only go until Tuesday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you on break yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teacherbreak #almostthere #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram