KWHL Chart

April 28, 2012

KWHL Chart

April 28, 2012
Waaaa!!! My vacation is rapidly coming to an end! Although, I guess I am only half-serious because I am anxious to get back and work on our last major projects for the year. BUT…I am going to be out the Monday we get back! I have to go to a testing workshop with a colleague and, while I normally don’t mind workshops, I am not thrilled about missing the first day back with my class. I always feel like that’s a crucial lets-get-back-to-work day, don’t you?

So, in efforts to still launch the units for the end of the year, I am working on some graphic organizers my wonderful substitute can use with my class while I am gone. The KWHL chart shown above will be used to launch the study of our state, for Social Studies. I left this version open-ended, so you guys could download and use if you’d like as well.

I think this should come in handy for our last units: our state study/research project and our ecosystems unit. What units are you working on for the remaining weeks??

• ~Stephanie Moorman April 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

What are you doing for the state research? Are you doing the 50 states or just your state? I have to do a state project and am just too spent to think of one!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Kristen April 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Well…we're actually doing both, since I teach 4th and 5th. 5th graders learn about the regions and choose a state to research and complete a project. 4th graders learn about our state specifically and work on a project about that. I use it as an opportunity for all of my ELL students to learn about our state, then we branch out to the research projects. I'm tired just thinking about it!! Are you doing a project on your state?

• MrsLMann April 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am doing mapping and some seeds and plant life cycles. Anything to keep us outside!

• FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) April 29, 2012 at 1:27 am

Love the chart!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

• Courtney Bartlett April 29, 2012 at 1:53 am

Love the chart, especially the H section. Thanks for sharing Kristen!

Swimming into Second

• Sarah Paul April 29, 2012 at 3:21 am

I love this! Thanks Kristen!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

• Sandra April 29, 2012 at 3:52 am

Thanks for the awesome chart!
    โค Sandra
    Sweet Times in First
    sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

• Kate April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! I am going to print a class set to have on hand when we start volcanoes next week!!
    โ˜ผKate
    To The Square Inch

• Jamie April 29, 2012 at 2:37 pm

This is great! Thanks for sharing! This week we are testing-ugh. Our last project/unit of study in science is Space-the planets. The kids are working on group posters. Then we'll work on local history in SS to end the year. When is your last day?

Jamie
    Thrills in Third Grade

• Elizabeth April 30, 2012 at 12:00 am

What a great open-ended chart! I love the addition of the "H".

Brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• Kelley Cirrito April 30, 2012 at 12:08 am

This is a GREAT staple for my files! Thanks Kristen!! I think it is too funny we always comment on each others blogs at the same time! I think our brains are connected somehow!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amber Unger April 30, 2012 at 3:50 am

Oh, this is just AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing for free. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have known about the KWL chart, since I was a high school student myself, I think. But it was not until last year, during my grad program, that I learned about the "H" part. Such an important addition!

• Ms.M May 1, 2012 at 1:04 am

Ooo, I like the "How could I learn this" feature. Great idea for our ELL kids. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Deborah May 1, 2012 at 1:05 am

Have you ever seen "Misconceptions" on KWL chart. It's neat because you can move a post-it to that column when a student reads new information that now makes them realize that a idea was not correct or a misconception.
    Deborah Devine

• Bethany McClure May 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Love the chart! Thanks for sharing!

โ€Bethanyโ€