We’re Mad About Science sign {printable}

March 2, 2012

We’re Mad About Science sign {printable}

March 2, 2012
Happy Thursday friends!! I hope you are all having a nice week!

I am a lady of leisure because I am on vacation! I feel really guilty admitting that, since I haven’t been the best blogger this week. But I promise that I have been doing bloggish-type things. Like stuff for my classroom I’ll share with you on here. And designing blogs, but of course!

Anyhow, I made a little sign today that could be used as a poster or for student binders/folders (which is what I’m going to use it for). ‘Cause it’s Science Fair season in our school!

And speaking of seasons…

This is all very lovely and pretty but…where was it before?!?! In December through February?? We’ve had no snow! All those wasted chances for snow days, all those times I could have slept in!! And NOW the snow arrives–on our vacation week?!

I’m joking (well, mostly).

So. Back to the signs. I made two different ones. This was my first…I thought it was cool with the color-fading:

But I showed it to my ever-practical sister, who thought it might be too much ink. So I made this one too (because she’s usually right and I’m usually over the top!)…

So there you have it. If you want it. They are together in one file, because I’m too tired and lazy to separate them and I apologize. I have shoveling arms. I do hope they are of use to some of you!

What’s the weather like in your area? Be kind, I couldn’t go away to a warm place this vacation, so I’m feeling a little down with all of this snow! 🙂

We’re Mad About Science

Border Graphic by Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com

• Allison March 2, 2012 at 12:28 am

I love it! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

• KRISTA March 2, 2012 at 12:37 am

The posters are so cute! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy what's left of your vacation!

Krista
    stellar-students

• Gladys March 2, 2012 at 12:38 am

I LOVE these! Thanks so much Kristen! Oh…and have I told you how much I adore your new blogger templates?! Precious!

Gladys
    teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com

• Courtney Bartlett March 2, 2012 at 12:42 am

These are adorable Kristen! Enjoy the rest of your vacation. It's about 70 degrees where I live but it is storming every other day. Not just little storms, tornado warnings and all that. I would give anything for a snow day about now but not on my vacation! So sorry that happened to you!

Swimming into Second

• Kristen March 2, 2012 at 1:09 am

I'm sorry Courtney! I would hate to be worrying about the tornado warnings!! I hope it stays calm there!

• Kaitlyn March 2, 2012 at 12:47 am

Kristin,

Look at it this way. By having snow on vacation (I'm looking at the same thing out my window), you get out earlier in June. Although me and my teacher friends would like one or two snow days to break up the monotony of March, we are kind of thankful for not having a winter like last year (except Snowtober! I have a feeling we live in the same area). Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

• applesandabcs March 2, 2012 at 1:20 am

I love them! Thanks so much for sharing! and for thinking about the ink… 🙂

Michelle

Apples and ABC's

• Kelley Cirrito March 2, 2012 at 1:43 am

I love your signs! I totally want the snow too! Can you ship me some of that? How about on Monday so we can have a snow day? How much would you charge me? I hope you have a great Friday on your vacation!

• LovelyNB March 2, 2012 at 1:47 am

Sunny and Hot in Florida.. 85 today….I do not miss the Snow.

• Sara S. March 2, 2012 at 1:57 am

We got snow today! …and rain…and sleet…and hail… It was not "fun" snow. And it only got us an hour delay 🙁 I really like your posters – makes me wish I taught science! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Sara 🙂
    Smiling In Second Grade

• Ms.M March 2, 2012 at 2:03 am

Oooo, these are wonderful. I am going to print some for our science fair.

• Ms. Rachel March 2, 2012 at 2:09 am

Kristin, those are adorable!!!

We've had no snow but lots of rain, Im waiting for it to freeze, ice day!

Rachel
    Ms. Rachel’s Room

• Hadar March 2, 2012 at 2:51 am

haha shoveling arms!! I don't even want to tell you what our weather is like…it might actually make you more out here 😉

• Hadar March 2, 2012 at 2:51 am

and by more I mean move…

• Mrs. Cupcake March 2, 2012 at 3:02 am

Ah, to live in California… Rub it in Hadar, rub it in 🙂

Love the science sign!!! The fading colors are so pretty!

❤Teri

A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Erika March 2, 2012 at 3:03 am

Thanks for the freebie Kristen. I love it! I'm jealous you are on vacation no matter what the weather is like!

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Mrs. Saoud March 2, 2012 at 3:35 am

Burrr… We are sitting in 80s here in FL. You are welcome to visit for your vacation! =)

Cheryl

• Jenn Bates March 2, 2012 at 4:25 am

SO Cute!!! Enjoy your vacation. I had last week off and it was so wonderful to relax.
    Jenn
    Finally in First

• Kristin March 2, 2012 at 6:37 am

Very cute sign!!!
    No vacation for me until the last week of March and the first week of April (yep – 2 weeks for Spring Break. Hallelujah!)
    We have had cold weather all week (50s in CA is COOOOOLLLLDDD!) but it's supposed to be in the 80s this weekend.
    I completely understand why you don't want snow on your vacation. And that you want a snow day. I get it. I'd feel the same way! 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Tricia March 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

What a waste of perfectly good snow. That looks like it would have been enough for a couple snow days. Enjoy your vacation. Thanks for the cute sign.

Tricia

• Andrea March 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Thank you for the sign. I want to do even more Science next year and this will come in handy. Just think, you won't have to make up any snow days this way. Did that help? Enjoy your break! 🙂

• Mrs. Coe March 3, 2012 at 4:37 am

I totally love this and I am sharing it and sending them to you…

• laughinbrunette (Jennifer) March 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Love these!!
    Jennifer

First Grade Blue SKies

• Becca March 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Kristen,

I just found your blog through Lil' Country Kindergarten. I can't wait to look around a bit.

I'd love it if you'd come over to my blogs as well. I currently have three blogs. I write a home blog (my most widely read blog), a literacy blog, and a kindergarten blog. My literacy and kindergarten blogs are fairly new, so I'd love to get the word out about them. My main website is http://www.homeiswheremystorybegins.com. From there, you can get to all of my blogs. I'd love any advice you have for breaking into the teaching blog world. I feel like I have a pretty good start with my home blog, but no one seems to be reading my other two. Any suggestions for me would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to help out a new teacher-blogger!

Becca

• Suzstamps March 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Hi Kristin,
    Nice snow! Glad someone got some. I just returned to school from vacation and ended up with a snow day on Thursday but got no snow! I'm in southwestern Vermont. Warm and muddy with lots of GRASS! Not great sliding weather for my 2 grandkids, DARN. Love your blog and products.

• Kate March 7, 2012 at 2:24 am

This is so cute! I can't help but love everything you make 🙂 I can't wait to print this for my classroom!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

• mccarty20001 March 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm

OMG!!!! You are FANTASTIC! Thanks to the 2 Sisters for allowing us "tools" to enhance our Daily 5!

• Anonymous April 3, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Hey Kristen,

I love love love your posters. I came across this site the other day and already printed out your CRAFT posters. I am trying to make a few signs for my own classroom and was wondering what program you used to create your worksheets and creative pages. Thanks so much!

-Christine

• Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Prepping for field trips with digital slides!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Ok. It took me 18 years to figure this one out.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After YEARS of talking through upcoming field trips and trying to explain what to expect, it suddenly occurred to me...why not SHOW my kids all of the information in google slides?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean we all know pictures are worth a thousand words. And I can prep the slides ahead of time, so I don’t forget to include any important information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I keep it simple. A slide for the chaperones and groups. A second slide with an overview of the trip. And one more featuring the schedule, how to prepare, and any important notes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I already used my first set last week and it was such a big help...and a huge timesaver!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you prep your students for field trips? I hope this idea is if some help if you are looking to try something visual!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#fieldtrip #classroomorganization #classroommanagement #googleslides #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth
    • Sooo simple, but what a game-changer!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I first learned about these magnetic numbers for the date from @twoteachersinfifth, they always have the best ideas!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And now I NEVER forget to post the date!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Actually, my students don’t forget...since this is one of our class jobs 😉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The numbers are by Teacher Created Resources and can be found on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I store ours in an Iris photo case...and I’m sharing the label on here in case anyone can use it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please click the link in my profile to grab a copy of the label! bit.ly/WhiteboardNumbers⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to post your date each day?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Looking for some new google fonts for your drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This summer, I compiled a huge list of favorite teacher fonts for google, thanks to so many of you who shared your favorites! 💜⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can grab this resource from the link in my profile. Then, just copy and paste your new faves to add to docs and slides in your own drive!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are there any we missed? What’s your favorite google font?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456