Signs to share and some new fonts! {printable}

January 10, 2012

Signs to share and some new fonts! {printable}

January 10, 2012
Hi everyone! This evening, we stayed after school for a little “make and take” workshop (don’t you just love those?!). We are currently working on our “genre boards” for Writer’s Workshop (we’re following America’s Choice…anyone else??). Anyhow, it was awesome! I got to lug my trusty Mac and do what I normally do at home. Make signs. Except this was way more focused since I was at a workshop and couldn’t obsessively check the blogs in between making signs, like I always do at home. So I finished my work way faster!

Lesson learned? Probably not!!

On a side note that is still related…I hopped on the net to find some book covers to print for our mentor texts and kept happening upon new blogs. It took total and complete willpower NOT to check them out while at school!! Now I just have to replicate my Google image search and find them again!

Anyways, I will be sharing how the whole genre board looks in a day or two. But, in the meantime, I wanted to share a couple of signs I made for the board. I think some people may be able to use the Mentor Texts signs (shown above)…

The other sign is Student Exemplar…can anyone use this?? It looks like this:

We’re to share a sample of student work that shows a well-written report. This sign will go with the student sample writing.

Oh, that’s the part I forgot to mention. My students have been studying nonfiction text elements and report writing for this entire unit. We are currently working on animal reports and it has been a blast! I love how vested they have been in the whole process. 🙂

Anyhow, if you’d like to download the file, it is at the bottom of this post. I would love to hear if this is something you plan on using! And, if you don’t really need those items, I have something else to share…

I found the coolest design site!!! And it has the most gorgeous fonts!! AND…I asked about terms of use and they can be used if they are in a PDF format. If you were asking about the font shared in the Student Information Sheet Printable, THIS is the site! You can hop over here: Sweet Shoppe Designs. What do you think???

Here are the files, if you’d like to grab them.

Mentor Texts, Student Exemplar

• Lisa at Stories From Second January 10, 2012 at 1:33 am

Thanks much for the freebie. All blogs are blocked at my school, so there's no blog surfing ever. Needless to say, I do a lot more work at home now! 🙂 Thanks for the freebies. 🙂
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

• Gladys January 10, 2012 at 1:33 am

I have found lots of new blogs too…my Google Reader list is ridiculously long now..lol! But I love teacher blogs…they totally rock!

• Jess January 10, 2012 at 1:35 am

Thanks I will use the Mentor Texts sign to label and organize my mentor text books in my messy closet. That's so awesome you got to create and do a make and take at school. We don't ever get to do things like that. In fact if I do take my computer to school I can't even log online because our district's internet is so protected. So I couldn't get on blogs and definitely can't get on blogs on my school computer! They block pretty much everything that isn't uber educational.
    Rambling About Reading

• Tara January 10, 2012 at 1:51 am

Gotta love the make and takes!!! Love your freebies and can't wait to go check out the fonts:))) I'm with Jess, we have a filter that basically blocks EVERYTHING at our school, so blogging or even peaking at one is O.U.T. :/
    Thanks and happy Monday:)

4th Grade Frolics

• melissa January 10, 2012 at 2:25 am

Omg America's Choice! No one has ever used this that I know of except my school! Now we do best practices a lil of this and a lil' that but wow so pleasantly surprised!!
    we need to talk more Kristen!! LoL LoL! Thanks for doing all of that work and sharing! Love it!

• Erika January 10, 2012 at 3:06 am

Love those fonts! Thanks for sharing.

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• ~Stephanie January 10, 2012 at 4:54 am

The labels are so cute! We did America's Choice a few years back. It was a great program to teach *me* how to teach writing. How are you liking it?

And how lucky you had a day to just work on stuff! (I know it was a pd, but still!!)

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Kristin January 10, 2012 at 5:37 am

Love the cute labels!! LOVE!
    And I love working with my friends – so fun!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Ms.M January 10, 2012 at 6:43 am

Love the mentor text label. I will put it to good use. Thanks!

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Kristen January 11, 2012 at 12:04 am

Thank you for the lovely words everyone!

Melissa and Stephanie–this is our first year of America's Choice. I love the workshop format (I was pretty much doing a Reader's Workshop in the past anyhow, thanks to the sisters). Melissa, I would definitely love to talk more about it…I'm still feeling my way through the units. Stephanie, I definitely know what you mean, about it teaching you how to teach writing. It's amazing what the students are coming up with, in all classes!

• Vanessa January 15, 2012 at 11:25 pm

This my first year teaching 1st and 2nd bilingual and my students levels vary drastically. I teach Spanish all day pretty much. I have no idea what I'm doing and i really don't have any support. My 2nd graders are definitely suffering and lacking in pretty much everything. I don't even have textbooks for second grade!!! So, I'm pretty following the 1st grade scope basal. I'm really stressed and I want the best for my kiddos.

• Kristen January 16, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hi Vanessa, do you want to send me an email to ladybugresources@yahoo.com? I might have a couple of things that could help. I can't find a contact for you, so I hope you see this!