Genre Board {printable}

January 15, 2012

Genre Board {printable}

January 15, 2012
Hey guys! I just shared a couple of signs recently that I made for the genre board we are required to do for our Writer’s Workshop…this is a continuation of that post.

The genre board is pretty cool. We display some features of the genre, mentor texts, rubrics, and samples of writing.

My students will definitely be referring to it a lot, as they are now editing and revising their reports.

Here are a few shots of the board…

(The nonfiction text feature posters you see are not mine, they were created by Beth Newingham…you can read find them here. My kids and I love them and have used them a lot during this whole genre study!).

I know some of you may be working on this genre of writing as well…though I’m not sure you need a “Report of Information” sign (that’s the name we have to use). So I made a few different versions to share. Ok, they look kind of boring all together, but hopefully some of you can use one of the versions!

I hope someone can use one of the files!

Do you display rubrics and criteria on your bulletin boards? What do you display for your Writer’s Workshop or writing in general?

Report of Information Sign
Report Writing Sign
Animal Reports Sign

• Erika January 15, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Your boards look so nice! Are you ignoring my questions about your plastic drawers? 🙂

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Kristen January 15, 2012 at 10:57 pm

NO ERIKA!!! I'm wicked sorry!! I posted a big response to your question last night! I get so behind in emails and comments sometimes, I'm sorry!!! I'm pasting my response onto your blog 🙂

• Jamie January 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I thought my boards looked good until I saw yours! Each time I see them in a blog post, it makes me want to go tear down my cute fabric and put up black fabric. It's amazing how things just pop on that black! And thanks for the freebies – which are always a-maz-ing!

Jamie at 2nd Grade Stuff

• Kristen January 15, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Thanks so much Jamie, your words mean a lot to me! It's my first year of using black…I've always gone for bright colors before with black borders. I'm so glad I did it. I find I don't have to frame my printables with construction paper anymore–I just throw them onto the black and they show up well!

• Kelley Cirrito January 15, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for sharing. I just actually started writers workshop last week. The reading program we use does not use writers workshop and I have not been happy with the way the program is set up. My instructional coach suggested I use Lucy Calkin's program. We have been co-teaching together this week and I already looove it and so do my kids.

• Kristen January 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

oooo…I've heard a lot of great things about Lucy Calkins. I'm still finding my way with the program we are following this year…I usually like to incorporate many different programs. I should look more into Lucy Calkins again. Thanks for the reminder Kelly! Good luck with your workshop!

• Erika January 15, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Kristin,
    I know you are one busy lady. I'm just glad my questions haven't been going into the spam or trash. I can't imagine how many plastic drawers it would take to replace my two four-drawer file cabinets. But I do love those drawers and the tops are a great shelf. I would love to know the dimensions of your room. Thanks for the answer.

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Kristen January 15, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Um, this probably sounds bad but I don't know the dimensions of my room!! I can tell you on Tuesday when we go back. I know each stack of 3 drawers probably takes up about a foot of space (width-wise). I think you'd be surprised at how much each drawer can hold.

See, I was a fast responder this time!! lol!
      Kristen

• Elizabeth January 16, 2012 at 12:41 am

I will be printing them tonight! Your creations are so crisp. I LOVE them. I stayed up LATE last night going back and reading your blog from Dec. 2010. I'm almost all caught up. You have such great ideas. One of my favorites, by far, is the color scheme in your room. It is TOTALLY making me rethink EVERYTHING in my classroom. How can I make it work, like tomorrow? I've got a lot of work to do.

Thanks for all of the blog posts and inspiration!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Erika January 16, 2012 at 2:24 am

I am messing around with designing my own blog. Where would you suggest I begin learning about html code?

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Jenn Bates January 16, 2012 at 3:05 am

Wow, your boards look amazing! Great job with the printables!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

• Mrs. Cupcake January 16, 2012 at 3:59 am

I love all of your labels/signs!!

A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Ms.M January 16, 2012 at 6:00 am

Very nice! Your pictures always looks so great.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Rorey Risdon January 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Your boards look great! I have been using the Beth Newingham non-fiction text components too and I love them. It will be nice to get them up in the classroom and maybe use your titles too! Thanks for all of the help. Love the blog!

Miss Rorey's Room

• Ms. Smith January 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much I LOVE your blog. I am new to the blog (and teaching) world and I have found all of your posts SO helpful!

Thanks!
    Ms. Smith
    Adventures of Ms. Smith

• A Teacher's Treasure January 17, 2012 at 12:29 am

You board looks fantastic!!! What is your email address? I want to send you a little something as a thank you for all your fab videos that really helped me get started on my blog!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Mrs. Coe January 26, 2012 at 4:26 am

Totally beautiful………….

• Ms MS Math February 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of your organizational tips. You have inspired me to get organized!

Could you share what font / clipart program you use? It is adorable!

• Pam May 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I can;t download the Animal report poster. help!

Thanks,
    Pam

• Pam May 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Help! I cannot download the animal report poster. At file download screen, it just goes blank.

Pam