Great Math Program & Password Slips

November 26, 2011

Great Math Program & Password Slips

November 26, 2011
Happy holiday weekend everyone!! I am using this bit of extra time to get some things organized before that last crazy stretch before Christmas…and I’m hoping to get on the blog more to share these files. Tonight, I made some slips for our computer passwords. Our school uses Study Island, so this is one password I will record on here for my students.

Also, I have recently started using a new interactive (and FREE!!!) website called XtraMath. Have you heard of it before? I learned about this site from the fabulous teachers at Proteacher and have just started using it this week with my class (I wasn’t asked to do this–it’s just too awesome not to share!).

So, in case you haven’t seen it yet, XtraMath is a non-profit website where students can practice math facts (the teacher can choose whether it’s addition, subtraction, mulitplication, division, or a combination of those areas).Students take an initial placement test to determine their mastery level, then all future practice sessions are catered to their needs. The first series of tests takes a bit of time to do…but after that, the daily practice is pretty quick. It shows a problem, the students have a bit of time to answer it, and the answer shows up in gray if they are stumped, so they can see it and move on.It is just too cool!! Not only are students practicing facts at their level, but their results are also recorded for the teacher to see. So, I can hop on at night and see how my students are progressing (there are charts and graphs for each student) I made a little sample student below…My favorite part (aside from seeing the students’ progress) is that it is self-differentiating–I don’t have to do anything other than choose the subject.

The majority of my class is working on multiplication right now…a few students are working on the basic facts (0s, 1s, and 2s) while others a bit more advanced, and one of my students is working on division (since she has done so well on her multiplication facts). So it is just challenging enough to keep everyone interested–and they have been begging me for XtraMath everday!

So, back to the Password Slips. We’ll be keeping track of our Study Island and XtraMath passwords on these…I’m taping them to the cover of their math books and sending one home for those with computers (I love that they practice on the computers at home too!). Hopefully this printable is something you can use with your guys… I would love to hear if you can! Click on the image below to download this file…So…who’s still eating turkey?? This is my last night of it sadly, it was delicious! Thanks for reading, I am incredibly thankful for all of your kind words and constant inspiration 🙂

• Julie November 26, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I love xtramath!! I have used it all this year and at the end of last year! My kids really get into it. I give out candy bars to kids that pass each level. BIG motivator! I've had 3 kids master their addition and several more are on the borderline. In order to master them they have to type them in 3 sec. or less so that is pretty tough. My own children do it too. I also give kids a prize out of the prize box if they do xtramath over the weekend. I'm so glad you found it!
    Julie

Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Ginger Snaps November 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Another fabulous idea! Thank you! =)

• YearntoLearn November 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I've been using Xtra math, but thanks to your post now know how to change levels. Yeah!

Denise

Yearn to Learn Blog

• Debra November 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Use and love the Xtra Math program and would recommend it to all my teacher friends. Another one I found is a website called "Tenmarks" that is also free for math practice.

• LovelyNB November 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Thanks for sharing the info. on XTRA MATH…I'm so excited to introduce this to my students!

• Anonymous November 27, 2011 at 12:36 am

I started XtraMath this year with my second graders and they beg me to do it during school…all day long! LOL!

• Betancourt Alfonzo November 27, 2011 at 1:34 am

Thanks a lot!

• Mary Pitner November 27, 2011 at 1:47 am

I'm definitely going to check out XtraMath!

Pitner's Potpourri

• Michele November 27, 2011 at 2:27 am

I've been using Xtramath and sumdog this year in 3rd grade. My students love them both! Thank you for the printable for the passwords!

• tiffany @ the nest effect November 27, 2011 at 4:15 am

Thanks for sharing. Great resource. We use FasttMath at our school, which is very similar, but often parents want the extra practice at home for their child. Perfect alternative.

• Mrs. Coe November 27, 2011 at 8:22 am

I am sending you the sunshine award! Stop by my blog to get it!
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com
    littlemisshypothesis.blogspot.com

• Mrs. Farber November 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Thank you for the lovely templates love them! I haven't ever heard of this website I am so excited to try it out! thank you so much! Enjoy your first day back to school 🙂

• Amanda November 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm

You just saved my life! Okay, maybe not my LIFE… but minutes/hours of it nonetheless. One of the items on my super lengthy To-Do list was to make cute little slips to put the kiddos AR levels and account info to send home with them. Once again, you were timely and fabulous! Thanks Kristen!!!

• Sara Soucy November 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Hi! I've nominated you and your blog for The Sunshine Award. Come stop by my blog for more details!
    Sara 🙂

Smilinginsecondgrade.blogspot.com

• Kelley Cirrito November 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Great idea! I will have to try out that website with my kiddos!

• Angela February 1, 2012 at 12:33 am

I am going to use your password slips! Thanks for those and also thanks for clueing me on to xtra math! This looks great!

• Stephanie March 18, 2012 at 1:19 am

XtraMath looks amazing! I can't wait to use it with my kiddos 🙂 Thanks for all of your resources– your site is amazing!!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Anonymous May 24, 2012 at 3:28 am

Just discovered your site and LOVE IT! Thank you…I think you are awesome.

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I have been using Xtra Math with our 1st through 5th graders this year. Everyone loves it! And wow we ae seeing so much growth!

• Anonymous September 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm

LOVE the XtraMath website. How have I not heard of this before?! Thanks!