Story Elements: Character Poster {printable}

October 2, 2011

Story Elements: Character Poster {printable}

October 2, 2011
Hi everyone! I wanted to share a little poster I made for my class this weekend.

This past week, we spent a couple of lessons working on characters and character traits in Reader’s Workshop. I wanted to make a poster to serve as a visual for my students…I’m hoping to make more like this as we learn new story elements.

I know my current students understand what “character” is, but two new students have just arrived and this is very typical for my class throughout the year so…

I like to make as many visuals as I can to help my newest ELL students with concepts we’ve already learned before their arrival.

A bit about the printable: the graphics are Thistlegirl Designs, as always! The frames are from Fancy Dog Studio–some new graphics I learned about this summer. If you haven’t seen these designs, you must check them out! The creator, Paula, has absolutely beautiful work AND she offers a 10% discount for teachers (coupon code: TEACHER). She does have specific terms of use for these graphics which are important to read, but she is absolutely wonderful about getting back to you, should you have any questions about using them.

So, back to story elements, would you like to see more posters like this? I will be creating them as the elements are addressed in class (since we are still getting accustomed to this particular Reader’s Workshop model). I would love to hear what you think.

I hope you enjoy your evening!

Character Poster

• Mary Pitner October 2, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Yes! We want more posters on story elements! Did you even have to ask? 🙂

Pitner's Potpourri

• Mrs. Degeo October 2, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I would love to have story element posters! I have a story element poster pinned on pinterest, and these would be a great way to introduce them to my kinders! Thanks Kristen!

• Rachelle October 2, 2011 at 11:35 pm

YES I WOULD LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Are you doing the common core? We have to know characters, setting, plot, etc. 🙂

• Ginger Snaps October 2, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I am actually doing story elements this week! Characters is my mini lesson Tuesday, Setting is Wednesday, and Thursday is plot! I heart you! Please share the rest soon so I can use them! =)

• Ginger Snaps October 2, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Also, what are those two fonts you are using for your posters. The big block letters that you use a lot? And the other font on that poster is? =)

• Caroline Brantley October 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I would love them! Thank you for sharing. Too cute

• Chrissy October 3, 2011 at 12:41 am

Kristin, I'm sharing the "I Heart Your Blog" award with you! Thank you for sharing your creativity with the world!

ReadWriteSing

• Madison October 3, 2011 at 12:42 am

I love your blog. Thanks for sharing so many great resources.
    I think you are a versatile blogger!
    I wanted to give you a small award to show my appreciation. I know you have probably already received it, but you are one of the teachers who got me addicted to blogging. Thanks.

• Pat's Paper Passion October 3, 2011 at 12:43 am

THANK YOU!! Love the poster AND of course we'd love to see more. Had you thought about strategy posters?

Will check out the new graphic site…love the border.

Pat

A Time to Share & Create

MY WEBSITE

Fabulous 4th Grade

• Ms.M October 3, 2011 at 2:38 am

I would love to see more like this!

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Ms. M October 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm

So cute. To save money, another idea is to draw your own posters and then laminate them. I did this for my classroom, and the kids loved my drawings.

• Becky October 4, 2011 at 3:31 am

love these–will for sure use!

• Sophia S October 4, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Love, love, love! These are wonderful! Thank you for sharing!!!

• Prepping for field trips with digital slides!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Ok. It took me 18 years to figure this one out.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After YEARS of talking through upcoming field trips and trying to explain what to expect, it suddenly occurred to me...why not SHOW my kids all of the information in google slides?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean we all know pictures are worth a thousand words. And I can prep the slides ahead of time, so I don’t forget to include any important information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I keep it simple. A slide for the chaperones and groups. A second slide with an overview of the trip. And one more featuring the schedule, how to prepare, and any important notes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I already used my first set last week and it was such a big help...and a huge timesaver!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you prep your students for field trips? I hope this idea is if some help if you are looking to try something visual!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#fieldtrip #classroomorganization #classroommanagement #googleslides #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth
    • Sooo simple, but what a game-changer!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I first learned about these magnetic numbers for the date from @twoteachersinfifth, they always have the best ideas!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And now I NEVER forget to post the date!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Actually, my students don’t forget...since this is one of our class jobs 😉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The numbers are by Teacher Created Resources and can be found on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I store ours in an Iris photo case...and I’m sharing the label on here in case anyone can use it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please click the link in my profile to grab a copy of the label! bit.ly/WhiteboardNumbers⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to post your date each day?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Looking for some new google fonts for your drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This summer, I compiled a huge list of favorite teacher fonts for google, thanks to so many of you who shared your favorites! 💜⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can grab this resource from the link in my profile. Then, just copy and paste your new faves to add to docs and slides in your own drive!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are there any we missed? What’s your favorite google font?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Obsessed with these magnetic paper pockets 😍⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are super strong and hold a ton of papers. They have saved me so much time in passing out assignments this year...my students just grab their morning work as they arrive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But the best part?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They can be used in different configurations for projects. This was our setup for a writing project on Friday and it made it so clear as to which papers my students would need...no questions were asked 😉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Not an ad, just sharing a find that has helped me a lot this year. I put a link in my profile if you’d like to check them out for your class. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJQWJ9C)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #teachertimesaver #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Goodbye spiderwebs...hello November! Ok, I don’t have a November pic because we took the webs down at 2:00 today 😅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How are you feeling now that October is finally over?? Me? 😍⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#halloweenisover #wesurvivedoctober #lovenovember #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Teacher: Adds black lights, some spiderwebs, and highlighters to otherwise typical work/routine.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Students: This is the best day ever!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Joking aside, I am so grateful for this IG teacher community and the constant inspiration to try new things.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today we had our special Halloween-themed day of learning and it was the perfect hook to keep my fourth graders on task, despite all the holiday fervor.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We stuck to our normal schedule and routines, with a slight twist.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Morning work: decorated glowing name tags and then worked on usual papers by (fake dollar tree) candlelight.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Word work: we focused on scary vocabulary (eerie, perturbed, etc).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Reader’s Workshop: we made inferences with a Halloween-themed picture of the day (concept courtesy of @hellojenjones!) and completed a mini-lesson on inferences. Reading was done by flashlight today.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Writer’s Workshop: We wrote some spooky fictional narratives, incorporating figurative language and show, don’t tell techniques we had learned about recently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Math: We reviewed for the end of a unit with task cards placed all around the classroom and invisible/blacklight ink pens...we revealed our answers as partners with the backlight pens.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It took me a bit of time the night before to set up, but every moment of today made it worth it. My students were engaged and happy all day...they were able to channel all of their holiday excitement in a positive way. And they were so sweet about it, after they first saw the room (best part of the day) they all said thank you 😭❤️⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomtransformation #halloweenintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram