Cursive Alphabet Chart & Alphabet Line

October 22, 2011

Cursive Alphabet Chart & Alphabet Line

October 22, 2011
HI!!! I’ve missed blogland greatly this week! Between our state testing, prepping for upcoming Parent/Teacher Conferences, and everything else–it’s been mad! But I always feel better in knowing that I’m not alone πŸ™‚

I’ve been working on a couple of things for my students this afternoon. The first is a cursive chart. We’ve just started working on our cursive writing…

because, many times, this is a first for my ELL students.

Just in case you can use the chart as well (and I hope you can!) I am linking it up for free on my Teacher’s Notebook store. I would love to hear some feedback on the store/item, if you have a free moment to do so (I know you are all incredibly busy too, so I will understand if you don’t have time!). Here’s a little peek (if you click on the image, it will take you to the download page):

The other thing I made earlier today was a new alphabet line for the front of my room. This alphabet line has both manuscript and cursive writing, so it will be accessible for my pre-readers and writers in English, to my more advanced students. I have quite the range this year, as usual! You can see a little preview to the left…

I’m going to print them on cardstock instead of laminating them (I’ve been trying to cut back on that a bit because it’s easier to see the signs from far away if they’re not shiny) and hang them on our black-fabric bulletin board so they’ll pop (hopefully!).

This alphabet line is available for purchase in my Teacher’s Notebook store (you can click on the preview below if you’d like to see more about this item)…

Do you teach cursive in your district? At which grade levels? I’m very curious about this. Even though my students are older, it’s something I always try to squeeze cursive in with my newcomers, especially if they haven’t learned it at all yet. Nice to see you all, happy blogging!! πŸ™‚

• Mrs. Payton October 22, 2011 at 9:59 pm

This is super cute! I teach K so it doesn't apply to my classroom, but I could stand to teach my own child cursive considering our county no longer teaches it. Thanks for sharing – you have the cutest stuff πŸ˜‰

• Paige October 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for sharing! This is awesome, and I love the "round" style! Would you ever consider making a word wall for purchase like your cursive one (circular)? Oh, the kids in our district start cursive in 3rd grade, but for my SpEd kids, it's extremely frustrating. Thanks again!

• Kristin October 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm

These are REALLY cute!!! I love them! Our district starts teaching cursive in 3rd grade. I am really happy I teach first because I like my printing . . . but when it comes to cursive, YUCK. When I student taught in 4th grade, my master teacher had to "teach" me how to cursive write again. Seriously. It wasn't embarassing or anything. πŸ˜‰
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Kristen October 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Thanks ladies! Paige, I will definitely consider that next πŸ™‚

Kristin, my cursive is absolutely TERRIBLE!! I can barely sign my name! My students end up writing better than I do, haha!

• Erika October 22, 2011 at 11:55 pm

We introduce D'Nealian cursive in second grade even though most of the kids aren't ready for it. It's in our curriculum so what ya gonna do, right!

✿Erika
    2B Honey Bunch

• Anonymous October 23, 2011 at 12:47 am

We start in 3rd grade in my district, but just a little bit. They really hit it much harder in 4th, even though we don't have much time for it!

• YearntoLearn October 23, 2011 at 1:14 am

Oh so cute!

Denise

• Meetthekellys October 23, 2011 at 1:22 am

Have you heard of Hand Righting Without Tears? I think the website is HWTears.com? It's a wonderful cursive program. You're cursive looks great, too.

• Meetthekellys October 23, 2011 at 1:24 am
  • Ms.M October 23, 2011 at 4:19 am

My students are just learning to write so I don't use cursive, but the chart looks fab! My district teaches cursive in 2nd grade and the kids LOVE it. For a couple years now there has been some debate whether to to switch over to keyboarding. So far not decisions have been made. I think they should teach both, why not.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Ms.M October 23, 2011 at 4:20 am

Ooooooo, I just noticed the new button. I am in love with it!

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• A Teacher's Treasure October 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

1. This is too cute!!! Wishing I was teaching 3rd again!
    2. Thanks for the feedback earlier! I actually added my Power Point slides with the foldables. Will you stop by and tell me what you think?
    3. Been meaning to ask you for a while… what happened to the tutorials? I miss them. I've been trying to figure out how to make it possible for readers to subscribe to my blog via email.

❀ Mor ❀
    A Teacher's Treasure

• Kristen October 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hey Mor! I will definitely check them out, I'm on my way over!

As for the tutorials, it's funny you should ask, I just finished a new video right now. I've just been a teeny bit overwhelmed for awhile now, so I'm hoping to get back in a tutorial groove!! Stay tuned for tonight's, I think you'll like πŸ˜‰

• Ginger Snaps October 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm

We teach cursive in 3rd grade in our district too. I love the signs by the way!

• Anonymous October 26, 2011 at 12:49 am

Hi Kristen,

Did you use D'Nealian cursive when making the chart and signs? I have to teach D'Nealian cursive to my 3rd graders!

Thank you for all your creative ideas you share πŸ™‚

• Desiree Wong November 8, 2011 at 5:34 am

So cute! My son is in private school Kindergarten and they're learning cursive! The do their printing for homework! He LOVES it and I am completely floored at how well all the kids in his class are actually doing with it. He'll love this at home by his homework desk! I would LOVE and purchase a round one with just manuscript for my classroom. πŸ˜‰