Reading, Writing, & Math letters {printable}

September 4, 2011

Reading, Writing, & Math letters {printable}

September 4, 2011

This is one of those projects I’ve been meaning to do all summer, but time has gotten away from me! We just had our first day of school on Friday (it felt weird to go back for one day only!)…

And now I am scrambling to get about 5,497 things done over this long weekend!

Anyhow, I think I may have mentioned that I have this huge, long chalkboard that runs the entire length of one wall in my room. I’ve covered it with black fabric this year (pictures are coming soon!) and I’m working to make it really interactive–with a calendar math, daily five rotations, workshop charts, etc.

I want the whole board to look like one cohesive wall, but defined into three sections…so I made these letters to title each section of the board.
I chose a few of my favorite fonts (Kevin and Amanda, of course!)…
Then, I enlarged the letters in Fireworks (my favorite designing software) and made them have an outline to cut on. This could be done with Word Art as well.

After that, I just printed them on bright paper to coordinate with our classroom and cut them out.

Do you know what the best part was? I didn’t even have to cut them out perfectly…the fonts don’t have really straight edges so they look great even if not cut exactly on the line!

I am sharing the three files for the letters below (they are going to look a little strange and out of order, because I was trying to arrange them in a way they would fit without using up too much paper).

Each letter is a separate image and all files are Word docs…so you can resize the letters if need be. I hope it’s something you could use in your class!

Reader’s Workshop Letters
Writer’s Workshop Letters
Math Workshop Letters

And…completely unrelated…today is my birthday (mixed feelings on this one!) and this was the best present a girl could get! Not just because the honor and the fact that the button is so cute, but because of the extremely thoughtful comments that came with it–THANK YOU!! I am so happy to be a part of this wonderful community and I cannot say that enough!

I have a list of 256 blogs I follow and I try to be diligent about updating my blog roll, because I have learned so much from so very many teachers! Please check it out if you have a moment 🙂

• Hadar September 4, 2011 at 11:09 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTEN!!! May all your dreams come true 🙂

Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten

• Mrs. Patton September 4, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a WONDERFUL school year!

• Tamara L. Chilver September 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

Happy Birthday!!!

• Kathy September 5, 2011 at 12:11 am

Happy Birthday Kristen!! I hope you enjoyed your day! You are definitely one of my TOP TEN!

Kathy
    First Grade a la Carte

• Tara September 5, 2011 at 12:40 am

Happy birthday, happy birthday!!!!

4th Grade Frolics

• Kimberly September 5, 2011 at 12:50 am

Happy Birthday, Kristen! Hope your day was happy!
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Rachelle September 5, 2011 at 2:10 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF MY BEST BLOGGING BUDDIES!!!!
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Anonymous September 5, 2011 at 2:17 am

Happy Happy Birthday to a fellow Labor Day Weekend blogger!

Primary Connections

• Crayons and Curls September 5, 2011 at 2:30 am

Happy Birthday!!! 🙂
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

• Kristen September 5, 2011 at 3:09 am

Thanks ladies! It has been a very happy birthday!

• Amanda K. September 5, 2011 at 3:16 am

Happy Birthday Kristen! Love the workshop letters!

Amanda
    Third Grade Meanderings

• Down Under Teacher September 5, 2011 at 7:05 am

Happy birthday Kristen! Hope you had a lovely day!

Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

• Ginger Snaps September 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I chose you as one of my Top 10 Teaching Blogs, even though you have already been nominated! I cheated a little…

Here is the post: http://gingersnapstreatsforteachers.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-10-blogs.html

Link for the award: http://bit.ly/rtHPbL

I just heart everything you post. I have learned so much about the technological side of blogging and have so much inspiration from your ideas! Thanks for sharing everything!!

Ginger

• Laurie September 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm

You helped me before with this and I'm seeing if you can again!! You showed me how to embed a document to my blog so it could be viewed instead of clicking on a link. Now I have the newer version of google docs and I don't see the option to use the old. I'll continue to mess around with it but any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Laurie

• Abby September 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I love this! I think my RW and WW boards will be getting a revamp ASAP! 🙂

I love this!

BTW – You made my Top Ten!

<3 Third Grade Bookworm

• MeiLing258 September 5, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Love your blog! I chose you as one of my Top 10, but now I see you already got the award! Go to my post to see your nomination!

• Laura Starnes September 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Hey Kristen,

Just stopping by to let you know, you are one of my Top 10 blogs! =)
    You can check out my post at Kinder Kraziness

Laura

• Mrs. White September 7, 2011 at 2:23 am

Hi Kristen! I have a somewhat very small favor to ask. . . . However, I can't figure out how to email you. . . I need some info on your fantabulous method of running record. I can't find the link to your post. Thanks in advance….
    my email is mrswhitesclassrocks@gmail.com

• Ms.M September 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you had a good one.

I chose you as one of my Top 10 Teaching Blogs. I cheated a bit but hey how could I resist? Go to the link below to read more.

Here is the post.

Go here to read more.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Cris September 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Hi! I love your blog! 😀
    And I also have a question: what font do you use to make your sheets? I'm Spanish and I love it, but we don't use it and I don't know where I can download it.
    Thanks a million 🙂

• Kristen September 25, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Hi Cris, thank you!! The fonts are from Kevin and Amanda fonts: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/fonts/ 🙂

• Cris September 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thanks a million 🙂

• How are you organizing your Google Classroom page?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I started out with days at first but the list was getting too long and cluttered-looking. So this week I am trying by subject and keeping each the same layout...mini-lesson and assignment. I’m hoping this will be easier to navigate for my fourth graders.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Do you have any tips to share with us? It’s so hard to rely on this page solely, rather than an additional resource like it usually is in class each day 😬⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#remotelearning #distancelearning #googleclassroom
    • Wishing I had realized this sooner...did you know you can reuse Google Classroom posts to copy similar assignments?! I had totally overlooked this feature in the past!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It’s funny...I thought I knew a lot about Google Classroom already but I’m learning many new things now that I am relying on it so heavily.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you learned any new tips you can share with us?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googleclassroom #distancelearning #remotelearning #iteachfourth #teachersofinstagram
    • Not captured in this image: the splitting headache I have from spending all day, every day on the computer. I miss my class 😭⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How are you doing with all of this?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingremotely #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach456 #teachersofinstagram
    • Trying to keep some healthy parameters on this remote learning. I had students on our classroom at all hours of the day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I had enabled commenting for the week and it was great having the opportunity to keep in touch. But I closed down commenting for the weekend to ensure my fourth graders take some well-earned time off! So far it’s working!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you using Google Classroom for remote/distance learning?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#distancelearning #remotelearning #googleclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach456 #teachersofinstagram
    • Are you using YouTube as part of your remote/distance learning? Today I found a way to share YouTube videos safely, without housing them on YouTube (I do NOT want to send my students down that rabbit hole 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There’s an amazing site that not only hosts your videos safely, but also creates a custom title and removes all sharing features!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to try it (swipe to see the pics for each step):⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀1. Go to https://safeyoutube.net.2. Paste your video link and click “generate link”.3. Click on “Customize/Crop”.4. Disable any buttons (I disabled all sharing and downloading).5. Give your video a custom title.6. Copy your new link and paste it right into Google Classroom...now your students can watch your video safely, not on YouTube!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The link to this site is in my profile...I hope it helps!! How is everyone doing with this remote/distance learning?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingremote #distancelearning #technologyintheclassroom #oroutoftheclasroomsadly #teacherssupportteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • As we move into remote learning I’ve been learning myself! I’ve been working to add mini-lessons to Google Classroom (our students are home this week and the next two weeks but teachers are in school right now getting ready for remote learning).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’ve been using iMovie to loop together some short video segments and it makes it easy!! In this clip I had to change the work on the board...so I had to go and stop the video. I ended up with a few video clips when I was done.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then I went into iMovie and selected my video clips (see second pic) and created a new movie. iMovie automatically weaves the clips together with a fade out and back in, which saves me from having to trim the video (see third pic...all transitions are automatically taken care of!). It really made this whole process SO much easier.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The actual ache I had in my heart teaching to an empty room 😭 I’m having a really hard time right now.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But more importantly than all of this tech, how are you doing?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#imissmyclass  #teachingremote #iteachfourth  #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram