Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

We launched our Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops this week and it has been going very well! Our district is following the First 30 Days from America’s Choice right now (anyone else doing this?) and I’m also using strategies from the Daily 5 for Reading, as I have in the past.

Since we are an ELL magnet classroom, I must make many adaptations to the curriculum to ensure my students’ understanding, while trying to follow it as closely as possible. This hasn’t been too bad so far, as the routine-building portion is ideal for my newcomer students, as with many other students in the mainstream classes.
Any new information we learn in the mini-lessons or about the routine of the workshops themselves is written on chart paper. My writing is ok, I guess, but I cannot make really eye-catching charts (like Mrs. Carroll’s at The First Grade Parade–I could just look at her charts all day!).

But I do love making printables! So I have converted some of the more important and often-used charts to documents with graphics.

By the way, I LOVE the black fabric on my bulletin boards this year!!! No more framing work with paper, it just pops so nicely on the board. Thanks again to Mrs. Mac for her recommendations for the fabric 🙂

So, the boring, handwritten charts are semi-temporary as we continue to add ideas to them during the week.

If the chart is something I would like to keep on display longer, I type them up and get them all graphicy!

For the workshop routines themselves, I wanted to make sure they stood out from the rest. So I used these gorgeous frames from Pixel Papers!

I am a little frame-obsessed lately.

They are printed on cardstock and are really vibrant (not so great in the photo, they look much better in person!).

These are displayed in the center of each workshop board and the other charts are placed on the sides (I promise I will have more pictures of the whole room soon…I haven’t had a chance to take them yet and I have been dying to share them on here!).

I know there are many different versions of workshops out there, but wanted to share these routine posters in case yours are similar.

Here are some previews of the headers…

And the routines themselves…

Do your Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops have a similar structure?

Workshop Routines

• Lori Faas September 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I received a Versitile Blogger Award and wanted to pass it on to you. I have worked with ELLs in my classroom for the past 5 years and I LOVE your blog! Thanks for being so inspiring to me. Head over to my blog!

Lori

• sydney September 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Although my coworkers tell me they love the charts I make because they love my handwriting, I absolutely adore ALL of your printables. THANKS for ALL you do!. This is great!
    Lessons Learned

• Stacey September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

We are just becoming an America's Choice school. We will also be implementing the Reader's and Writer's Workshop. I am also trying to implement the Daily 5 Strategies. I am excited that someone else is going through the same thing that I am. We can help each other out. Thanks for your posters and routines.

• Kimberly September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi Kristen,
    Thank you for sharing workshop routine signs! I'm gonna use them tomorrow. 🙂
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Alyssa September 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

it would be nice if you added in partner time on your routine charts since it's such an important part of both workshops! for my writers workshop, i always do a chart that looks like this:
    how does writing workshop go?
    1. think
    2. plan
    3. write
    4. reread
    5. revise (add on)
    6. edit (fix)
    7. start a new book

i love doing this because when kids come up to me in the middle of the workshop, i can just point to the chart and say something like, "is talk to miss ______ part of writer's workshop?" sounds a little harsh, but otherwise i could never get conferring and strategy groups done! works like a charm 🙂 the kids are so much more independent when they know how things go!

• Mrs. B September 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This year, I am heavily doing writer's and reader's workshop in my 5th grade class. The whole experience is new for me, but I am really excited about it. I LOVE your signs, and the color combinations of the blue against the black. Can't wait to see more pictures – Looks Great!

• Erica Y. September 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

Post more pics of the room! I love what i see so far!

• Keys4Education September 12, 2011 at 1:42 am

I love, love, love your pics. Your blog is awesome! Thank you for sharing! :o)

Jennifer

• Ms. Morgart September 12, 2011 at 1:49 am

These are wonderful! What font did you use? Thank you so much for sharing!
    Curls and a Smile

• Deedee Wills September 12, 2011 at 2:26 am

I love this! Even my wee-little kindergartners follow the same structure for Readers and Writers Workshop! Thank you!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

• Ms.M September 12, 2011 at 5:04 am

These are so nice. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Mrs. Mac September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I'm happy the black fabric worked out, Kristen! 🙂 Love your anchor charts! Lisa
    First Class with Mrs. Mac

• Sarah September 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

These are so fabulous! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Victoria July 5, 2012 at 4:21 am

I am going to start working with writer's workshop this year and am trolling all the blogs and websites the internet has to offer. Loved your simple routine signs! They would so work with my kinders (especially with the cute pics :). Thanks for the idea!

• Florence Fung February 20, 2013 at 7:19 am

I love your creativity and your pictures give the students so much fun in writing, thank you so much x 100!

• I’ve been reading, watching, listening, and trying to learn. I realize this alone is not enough. I want to speak but I am always afraid my words are not the right ones. But even if speaking is not my strength, I know I can take more action and this is what I will do. I'm grateful for everyone who is sharing actions we can take right away.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Thank you to @thedesignerteacher for sharing this image...Sarah has shirts with the same design and all proceeds go to @aclu_nationwide. #blacklivesmatter
    • How’s it going with your classroom cleanup? I had a two hour block the other day and will have a whole day next week to do more. It’s surreal. Hope you are all doing well ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #missmystudents #missmyclassroom #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Not one thing worked today. Not zoom. Not google meet. Two weeks to go and I am missing my classroom more than ever!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
How much distance learning do you have left??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #notmyfavorite #missmystudents #andmyclassroom
    • Google drive shortcuts at a glance!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I know I shared these in a pdf the other day but I wanted to show another way to display these little time-savers.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I split them into two files and resized them so they could stay at the top of my drive as a reference point...no need to open anything, just a couple of mini reference charts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you would like to try the same, please click the link in my profile to grab a copy or visit: bit.ly/shortcutsataglance
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They are in one google slide together. To view them separately, make a second copy of the file and delete the first slide. Now you will have two google slides you can keep at the top of your drive.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope you can use them! I can't get enough of them!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I'm LOVING these time-saving shortcuts for google drive!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I compiled some of my favorite shortcuts that have eliminated a lot of double-clicking on items...as well as right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu. These things can get pretty tedious when you are trying to move quickly, right? Especially with the amount of time we are working in google drive during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first set of shortcuts will work on anything you have selected in your drive. So if you select a doc, you can simply click one of these letters/symbols and be on your way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The second set features a faster way to open up new docs, slides, sheets, and more. For these shortcuts, simply click the shift key along with the letter shown in the chart. So much faster than the traditional way!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I made a pdf of these shortcuts...you can save the file in your drive or even print a copy if you would like. Please see the link in my profile or visit: bit.ly/googledriveshortcutschart
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope they help save you some time during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Which one do you think will be the most handy? My two favorites right now are the renaming shortcut and the share shortcut!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Who else loves a good shortcut??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I seriously LOVE shortcuts. It may sound like such a small thing, but a one-click shortcut saves SO much time rather than double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But just one little click? Then you are on your way in an instant!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And these google shortcuts are just that...lovely, one-click shortcuts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These are some of my favorites I started using last year...and now with all this distance learning I have found them to be so valuable as I navigate my google drive:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Open a folder or document: click letter o
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Rename a folder or document: click letter n
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Preview a document: click letter p
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Share a document: click the dot symbol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And that's all! Select any folder or document you are working on, click on of these letters/symbols, and you are on your way to the next step in your work!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I have a few more shortcuts to share and would love to put them together in a document that can be saved/printed...can anyone use this? Let me know and I will share it tomorrow!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Happy shortcutting!! And, more importantly, happy weekend my friends!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #teachertimesaver #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram