Video Tutorial: Making commenting a bit easier

July 1, 2011

Video Tutorial: Making commenting a bit easier

July 1, 2011
Disclaimer! This is totally based on preference, I am not saying this will be the ideal for everyone. I’ve just been noticing lately that a few blogs have removed that code that automatically pops up when you want to publish a comment on someone’s blog.

As a reader of those blogs, I love this! It’s so much faster to comment 🙂

The aim of the code, of course, is to prevent spam from going through, so there is a valid reason for having it. I decided though, in the long run, I could delete my own spam if it comes through. Ultimately, I want to make it a bit easier for my readers to comment–because you are all so lovely!

Hope this is of help for some!

• Annie Moffatt July 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Kristen,
    I just LOVE you!! You are amazing! You really have an amazing gift:) I am so grateful that you are willing to share with all of us:)
    Annie

• Lindsey (The Teacher Wife) July 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I agree! It is so much easier to comment!

• Jenn Bates July 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I am one of those blogs who recently took the code off. I agree, I'd rather make it easier for people to comment. Thanks for letting others know so maybe more will jump on the bandwagon!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

• Dana July 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for sharing! It is kind of annoying, so I'm taking it off! 🙂

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Dual Kinder Teacher July 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Ok, how bad am I that I had already taken off this code, but I love following your tutorials that I watched it anyways 🙂 Thanks for sharing your talents 🙂

• Kristen July 1, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Annie, thanks! I think you are the amazing one, with all of the units/lessons you have created–wow!!

Lindsey, Jenn, and Dana, I definitely think it's easier!

Dual Kinder, thanks, you always leave the nicest messages. I'm glad the videos are being watched!! 🙂

• Tanya Solano July 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Holy Macaroni Lady! I am sooooo happy to have found your blog! Totally glad it's summer and I have time to spend here! You are AmAzInG!

Now, look out, because I will be adding lots of good stuff to my terribly boring blog.

• Kristen July 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Thanks Tanya, your blog looks wonderful! I'm following and looking forward to reading more.

• Pat's Paper Passion July 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Super suggestion…many a time I type the wrong code anyway…and sometimes the code is just weird!

Pat

A Time to Share & Create

• Crystal July 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I have a question for you and wondering if you could help me..since you seem to very techy 🙂 I just got a new phone, android, and when I go to my blogger dashboard, there is no scroll bar to look at the recent posts, and there isn't even a scroll bar to look through my long list of blogs I follow. I've tried to google it to find a solution and not come up with anything. You can email me at crystal.houpe@gmail.com if you have some suggestions I could try.
    Thanks,
    Crystal

• Fern Smith July 2, 2011 at 1:17 am

I love your videos! Thank you so much for all the help! I agree with you and I've wanted to do this, so thanks so much. On the video you said you like to go back to the "old way" but your old way looks like my new way! Could you do a post soon on how to turn the "new way" on? 🙂
    Thanks,
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!

• Kristen July 2, 2011 at 1:56 am

Pat–I do that all of the time! I swear, I can never get those crazy letters right!

Crystal, I'm sorry I am really UNtechy when it comes to phones. I won't let myself have a phone with Internet because the obsession will never end when I leave the house–haha! Good luck with your new phone! 🙂

Fern, I can definitely do that next, thanks for the inspiration!

• Peace Love Kindergarten July 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Thanks!! I LOVE all of your videos since I am a very visual learner! Could you do one on posting documents in blogs with Google Docs! I CAN NOT get that!!!!

• Kristen July 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hey Peace Love, I will add that to my list of upcoming videos, thanks for the suggestion!

• Reagan Tunstall July 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Giving it a try!
    ツReagan
    Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits

• Mrs. Zrihen September 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yes!!! I've been dying to get rid of that code1 It's such a turn off!!!!
    Thank you!!!

A Teacher's Treasure

p.s.

do you have a tutorial on how to change the comment box from saying "comments" to saying something else?
    I've seen some blogs where instead of saying "comments" it says "High Fives", "Love Notes", "Words of Wisdom", etc.
    I'd love to change mine but don't know how to.

• What is your students’ favorite read aloud so far this year??⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We have so many we’ve loved...but I think Those Shoes is our class favorite so far.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I started keeping track of our read alouds in a google sheet and it has been SUCH a big help. We have a running count of books read so far (it counts automatically as I check off books, swipe to see!) and I can stop forgetting which titles I’ve already read! I feel much more organized with my read alouds this year 😊⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This resource is on sale in my store tonight...please see the link in my profile if you’d like to check it out: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#picturebooks #readalouds #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Setting up Google Classroom for a short week ahead!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Each year, my fourth graders have a blast with @digitaldivideconquer’s Plan Thanksgiving Dinner project! I love how it gives them the opportunity to work on their math fluency with a real-world application.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup is so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to use digital flyers these days, so I created a temporary category on our Classwork page in Google Classroom. I linked flyers for three of our local grocery stores...and added an emoji to make it stand out easily on our page.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The rest is simple...@digitaldivideconquer’s resource is print and go! It’s such a great activity to keep the students engaged before the holiday.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you working this week? What will you be doing with your class? I’d love to hear some more ideas to keep the focus this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • We are in school next week, are you? I won’t complain though...we used to work through Wednesday afternoon but now we only go until Tuesday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you on break yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teacherbreak #almostthere #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram