Like this little heart I’m going to use for my blog…
Sidenote: I only found out about this accidentally. I had been having a lot of blogging issues lately. My lastest posts kept automatically translating themselves into Hindi and, as much as I love other languages (being an ELL teacher), I had to find a solution. That’s when I stumbled along Blogger in Draft. I guess Blogger is rolling this out slowly, but you can follow the blue link to try it out yourself if your blog hasn’t been changed over yet. It has some really nice features…
Which brings us back to the favicon. With this new interface, Blogger makes it really easy to customize your own little image. Here are the steps…
1. Go to Blogger in Draft (if you haven’t already).
2. Go to your new Dashboard.
3. Go to the Layout tab.
4. Here you will see the Favicon option. Before you upload your new icon, you will need to prepare it, as Blogger can only upload .ico files for a favicon. What does this mean? You can make your little image and save it as a .jpg or .png, but you must convert it, so…
5. Head to a Favicon generator, such as Web Script Lab.
6. The favicon you design must be small (either 16×16 pixels or 32×32 pixels). I made a teeny heart, to go with my blog design…it’s 32×32.
7. Upload your file and click the Generate button. Then you can right-click to “Save as”.
8. Head back to your new Blogger interface and upload your new favicon file!
Important!! Your new favicon will take some time to show up. I made mine before going to bed the other night and thought it didn’t work and I had done something wrong. But it was there the next day! Even now, you might not see my new favicon, at least for a few more hours.
But, once it shows up, here’s where you will see your favicon…
|With the URL of your blog|
|On the tab with your blog|
|On the Blogroll of your friends’ blogs|
More important information…
It’s best to keep your favicon simple, since it’s such a small image and you really want it to pop.
And, if you’re really stuck on how to design it, there is a really neat site to generate one, pixel by pixel…check it out at Favicon.cc.
So, I’m still waiting for my little blue heart to show up. But it’s still cool, right?
Will you make a favicon too? I can’t wait to see them if you do!