Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011

Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011
Have you seen these before? I’ve used them for a few years now and I love them!
They’re called Scene Setters…they’re these huge vinyl mural things that people use for parties.

And they are a wonderful way to add some color to your class, hide an unattractive area, or coordinate your room colors overall!

This ocean one is my favorite and has worked well with my blue classroom in the past (in two different classrooms).
This past year, I used the scene setter to cover the part above my windows…I have 6 windows with these weird, white tops, like this:

The sad thing is those white parts used to be glass as well, many years ago. That must have been so beautiful!

Anyhow, with the scene setter, the window looks like this instead:

Here are the six windows all together with the scene setters. I just hot glued them to the top…
I guess it’s kind of hard to tell now with the room all packed up, but it made a big difference in the color scheme!
I also used the scene setter in my closet where I store my math games. I think I have mentioned before how I removed the closet doors, so I could have an extra space to store games and manipulatives. Plus, with the doors off, I have to be neat and not hide any messes!

This is how the closet looks now, with the brick exposed:
But this is how it looked with the scene setter earlier this year:
As attached as I am to my ocean scene setter, I’m going to try something new next year, as I will be changing my color scheme to something new. I’m a bit nervous about the change, but we’ll see how it goes!
Have you used scene setters in your classroom before?

• Dana June 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Super cute idea! I have seen pics of your reading area before, but had no idea it was a scene setter! I'm going to look for some and how I can use them in my room. Thanks!

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Jess June 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Do you get the scene setter from Oriental Trading? I really like this idea and I don't have any windows in my room, so I think this would help brighten things up without overdoing it.

• Kristen June 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Dana!
    Jess, I don't think I got it from there…I just searched on google and tried to find the cheapest one. I think it was from some online party store. They do brighten up the room nicely. Thanks for reading 🙂

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Those are awesome! Thanks for the idea! I am going to search for some also!

Jenaya
    Lesson Plan Diva

• cleo77433 June 23, 2011 at 12:25 am

This is SO creative, I was thinking of doing the EXACT same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and they have various Ocean/beach themes for a buck each. They sell both horizontal as well as vertical ones each measuring about 3 X 5 feet or so….

• mtompkins June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I love how that looks! I never would have thought to use those scene setters like that. Very cool! I'd like to find a jungle/safari theme. 🙂

WILD About First Grade!

• Ms.M June 23, 2011 at 3:20 am

Very creative I can't wait to see what you do next.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Tara June 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

Such a cute idea!! Love it over the tops of your windows:) Good luck with the color/theme change…I was in a teacher store a few weeks ago and started that process and then got overwhelmed and walked away!! teehee:) Maybe later. Thanks for sharing, I'm pretty new to all this blogging but totally addicted. Love all the ideas and sharing:)

4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com

• Annie Moffatt June 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You are SO inventive:0) I am storing this idea in my file brain for when I go back into the classroom. Awesome!
    Annie

• Lesson Plan SOS Teachers June 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Such a great idea!!! I used one for our End of the Year Learning Celebration: Hollywood Style…and it just adds that extra special touch! Love how you are using them! 🙂
    Melissa

• Kristen June 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks ladies! I was kind of sad to take it all down today, but then there's the fun of a new year and a new set-up!

• Anonymous June 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your great idea! I've already decided that I will be using scene setters in my new dark and gloomy classroom. However, I'm wondering how well do these hold up to direct sunlight? Will they help filter some of the light coming into the classroom?

Joseph

• Kristen June 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Joseph, I'm actually not too sure…I haven't put any of mine in direct sunlight. I think they would help filter it a bit. They're made from a really thin vinyl. Hope this helps!

• Patty September 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love these! I just found out Thursday (3 weeks after the start of school) that I am being moved out to a trailer to make room for a new class. I am in the process of moving and was not happy but decided to call my room the beach house. These will work great and make me eager to be in my new place.

• I’ve been reading, watching, listening, and trying to learn. I realize this alone is not enough. I want to speak but I am always afraid my words are not the right ones. But even if speaking is not my strength, I know I can take more action and this is what I will do. I'm grateful for everyone who is sharing actions we can take right away.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Thank you to @thedesignerteacher for sharing this image...Sarah has shirts with the same design and all proceeds go to @aclu_nationwide. #blacklivesmatter
    • How’s it going with your classroom cleanup? I had a two hour block the other day and will have a whole day next week to do more. It’s surreal. Hope you are all doing well ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #missmystudents #missmyclassroom #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Not one thing worked today. Not zoom. Not google meet. Two weeks to go and I am missing my classroom more than ever!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
How much distance learning do you have left??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #notmyfavorite #missmystudents #andmyclassroom
    • Google drive shortcuts at a glance!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I know I shared these in a pdf the other day but I wanted to show another way to display these little time-savers.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I split them into two files and resized them so they could stay at the top of my drive as a reference point...no need to open anything, just a couple of mini reference charts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you would like to try the same, please click the link in my profile to grab a copy or visit: bit.ly/shortcutsataglance
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They are in one google slide together. To view them separately, make a second copy of the file and delete the first slide. Now you will have two google slides you can keep at the top of your drive.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope you can use them! I can't get enough of them!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I'm LOVING these time-saving shortcuts for google drive!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I compiled some of my favorite shortcuts that have eliminated a lot of double-clicking on items...as well as right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu. These things can get pretty tedious when you are trying to move quickly, right? Especially with the amount of time we are working in google drive during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first set of shortcuts will work on anything you have selected in your drive. So if you select a doc, you can simply click one of these letters/symbols and be on your way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The second set features a faster way to open up new docs, slides, sheets, and more. For these shortcuts, simply click the shift key along with the letter shown in the chart. So much faster than the traditional way!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I made a pdf of these shortcuts...you can save the file in your drive or even print a copy if you would like. Please see the link in my profile or visit: bit.ly/googledriveshortcutschart
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope they help save you some time during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Which one do you think will be the most handy? My two favorites right now are the renaming shortcut and the share shortcut!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Who else loves a good shortcut??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I seriously LOVE shortcuts. It may sound like such a small thing, but a one-click shortcut saves SO much time rather than double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But just one little click? Then you are on your way in an instant!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And these google shortcuts are just that...lovely, one-click shortcuts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These are some of my favorites I started using last year...and now with all this distance learning I have found them to be so valuable as I navigate my google drive:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Open a folder or document: click letter o
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Rename a folder or document: click letter n
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Preview a document: click letter p
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Share a document: click the dot symbol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And that's all! Select any folder or document you are working on, click on of these letters/symbols, and you are on your way to the next step in your work!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I have a few more shortcuts to share and would love to put them together in a document that can be saved/printed...can anyone use this? Let me know and I will share it tomorrow!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Happy shortcutting!! And, more importantly, happy weekend my friends!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #teachertimesaver #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram