Ecosystems and Science Folder Labels (printable)

May 26, 2011

Ecosystems and Science Folder Labels (printable)

May 26, 2011

Last week, we worked on the terrarium part of our ecosystems project.
This week has been very exciting since we have started the aquarium part of the project! (Really, I don’t know how I’d survive the last few weeks of 5th grade without an all-encompassing project like this). It has been one of the best experiences of our year and the kids are learning so much from them!
We’ve been studying the aquatic plants (Elodea and Duckweed).

But, sadly, the plants just can’t compete with the fish! And snails!!! You can see both in the picture to the right. I think some of the fish are due to have babies soon (that was a cool surprise last year!). We even had teenytiny baby snails last May!!

The aquatic plants and animals have already led to some great discussions about how they each serve a purpose to this part of the ecosystem.

This whole unit provides such a concrete example of ecosystems, which is so important for my newcomer ELL students.

I can’t wait until they put the terrariums and aquariums together! I remember my students last year really saying they “got it” when they saw the whole ecosystem functioning as one.
This unit has some great handouts and experiments, which we store in our Science Folders. Which brings me to today’s printable…labels for science folders…

I know everyone is getting close to being finished, but maybe it’s something you could use next year 🙂

Are you wrapping up any big projects right now?

• Ms. Draffkorn May 26, 2011 at 1:41 am

This is awesome! It's great to make the content concrete. At the end of the maternity leave that I covered for the past few months, we were learning about alternatives to fossil fuels, so my seventh and eighth graders researched, designed, and built their own solar cookers. It was a great end-of-my-time project, especially for the eighth graders who were totally checked out by that point anyway.

Magnificent Multiagers!

• Melissa May 26, 2011 at 1:52 am

I love your post! We get elodea, guppies, and goldfish every year to study and compare the two fish. I never focused much on the plants though. Do you have each child make their own bottle aquarium? And thanks for the printable!Any chance you could make one that says science notebook instead of folder?
    Thanks!!
    F is For First Grade

• Ms.M May 26, 2011 at 2:25 am

This is fantastic. I love it. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Anna Brantley May 26, 2011 at 3:02 am

oops!!!
    WOW!!! This is soooooo cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anna

• Natalie Kay May 26, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thanks for the labels! I will absolutely be using this next year!!

• Kristen May 27, 2011 at 12:40 am

Thanks everyone!! 🙂 I'm so glad they can be used.

Melissa, usually the students share a bottle (then we raffle them off). This year, my class is smaller so each student has their own. The guppies and goldfish sound great! Do they take them home after?

I'm posting labels for the science notebooks tonight 🙂

• Melissa May 27, 2011 at 2:52 am

The first year we were allowed to let kids "adopt" the fish, but then after a group of frogs (in another grade level) had some disease we were told not to send home any living creatures with students. Bummer for the kids, they loved taking them home!
    I've always had the fish in larger tanks and the kids have to crowd around to observe them. So maybe next year I'll try your bottle idea and that way the fish can be spread out more.
    F is For First Grade

• Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Prepping for field trips with digital slides!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Ok. It took me 18 years to figure this one out.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After YEARS of talking through upcoming field trips and trying to explain what to expect, it suddenly occurred to me...why not SHOW my kids all of the information in google slides?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean we all know pictures are worth a thousand words. And I can prep the slides ahead of time, so I don’t forget to include any important information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I keep it simple. A slide for the chaperones and groups. A second slide with an overview of the trip. And one more featuring the schedule, how to prepare, and any important notes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I already used my first set last week and it was such a big help...and a huge timesaver!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you prep your students for field trips? I hope this idea is if some help if you are looking to try something visual!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#fieldtrip #classroomorganization #classroommanagement #googleslides #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth
    • Sooo simple, but what a game-changer!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I first learned about these magnetic numbers for the date from @twoteachersinfifth, they always have the best ideas!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And now I NEVER forget to post the date!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Actually, my students don’t forget...since this is one of our class jobs 😉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The numbers are by Teacher Created Resources and can be found on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I store ours in an Iris photo case...and I’m sharing the label on here in case anyone can use it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please click the link in my profile to grab a copy of the label! bit.ly/WhiteboardNumbers⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to post your date each day?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Looking for some new google fonts for your drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This summer, I compiled a huge list of favorite teacher fonts for google, thanks to so many of you who shared your favorites! 💜⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can grab this resource from the link in my profile. Then, just copy and paste your new faves to add to docs and slides in your own drive!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are there any we missed? What’s your favorite google font?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456