A Digital Word Wall

May 30, 2011

A Digital Word Wall

May 30, 2011

My fellow ELL teacher and bloggy pal, the fantastic Ms. M, is hosting a Word Wall Linky Party! You should see all of her word wall ideas…she is so resourceful!!

This digital word wall is something I’ve been working on for awhile. Actually, I call it a “Blog Word Wall”. It’s a tool you can download, add your words to, and place on your blog for your students.

My students used our class blog a LOT this year (both in school and at home) and I thought this would have been a neat resource for them, especially at home.

So what is it exactly? You can see it below…it’s just a Powerpoint embedded in this post with Google Docs. The students can click through the Powerpoint to see all of the words (not in this template though, it’s a blank one for you to grab if you’d like):

If you’d like to use the Blog Word Wall for your students, here’s what you can do:

1. Download the Blog Word Wall file.

2. Add your words to the Powerpoint, using a textbox:

3. Save it…

4. Upload it to Google Docs.

5. Select the sharing setting, “Anyone with the link”:

6. Copy the embed code next to your new file:

7. Place in a blog post (using the Edit Html tab):

(I added center tags before and after the code, so it would center on the blog page). Here’s the file again, in case you’d like to try it out:

Blog Word Wall

• Anonymous May 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Great idea! I love that students can also access your word walls from home.
    Susan

• Janine May 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I love this!!!! I am going to use it on my Promethean Board!!!!

Janine
    Faithful in First

• Ms.M May 31, 2011 at 1:02 am

WOW! You are FANTASTIC! You always blow me away with your creative activities. Thanks for participating in my linky party and for teaching me how to do something new. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Mechele May 31, 2011 at 2:15 am

WOW! This is great! I love how they can use it from home. Now, I just have to get busy on a class blog. Thanks for the tutorial!
    Barrow's Hodgepodge

• Ms. Draffkorn May 31, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Wow! Thanks! This is great. I think my principal is going to have us do classroom websites this year, and I would love to incorporate this. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions!!

Magnificent Multiagers!

• Ed Tech Diva May 31, 2011 at 6:44 pm

BRILLIANT!!!! Simply brilliant! Thank you!

• Allyson Marie June 22, 2011 at 4:19 am

I'm a very matchy-matchy girl (which is why I absolutely love the contact paper on desks idea). I'm trying to create my own version with the colors and graphics of my class. I'm having the hardest time getting it to upload in Google Docs and NOT lose the formating/font/etc. I've changed the font and still having problems. Any suggestions?

• Allyson Marie June 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I finally got this to work and I'm in LOVE! Thank you so much.

• Stacey July 16, 2011 at 6:22 am

I am so lost. I am trying to upload a document to my blog. It keeps changing formats. I saved it in word as a pdf. I uploaded it to googledocs. now, i am lost. how do i upload it to my blog? Please help. Thanks!

• Keith Ferrell August 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hi I am not getting the embed code box. When I go to share it says Publish/Embed. I click on it and it says that I am not allowed to publish only the owner can do this.

• Keith Ferrell August 7, 2011 at 5:55 pm

The only way I got this to work was by saving it in my scribd.com files. However, I think it would be easier if I could get it to work in goodledocs.