Video Tutorial: Adding flair to your comments link

April 26, 2011

Video Tutorial: Adding flair to your comments link

April 26, 2011

Have you ever had a hard time finding the place to comment on a blog…even on your own? It’s sometimes hard to see that tiny little comment link, what with the post itself, documents, images, labels, and so on.

After you watch this tutorial today, you will be able to create some flair to add to your comments link…hopefully attracting more attention and, well, comments! Here is a sample of the end result:

A nice, bold font (slightly larger) along with a little, eye-catching icon. I learned how to place the icon thanks to the fabulous blog, Blog Bulk.com.

And I made a little surprise for you…different-colored icons so you can choose which you’d like best for your blog:

If you click on the color you’d like, you will be taken to a page that has the code you need to put that little guy in your blog.

You will also need another piece of code to make that comment text stand out a bit more. If you click on the little image to the left, you can grab that code.

What to do with all of this code? It’s not as bad as you think…follow the tutorial here:

• Nancy Wilson April 26, 2011 at 5:18 pm

You are AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for posting it in this format. I will look at it again later and you'll be seeing my comments havin' some FLAIR! 🙂 I appreciate you sharing what you've learned! Thanks, Nancy
    The Apple Basket Teacher

• Ms.M April 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm

These are fantastic. 🙂 Thanks so much. They are so easy to follow.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Jodi April 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm

You are so awesome! How in the world do you figure this stuff out??

Jodi

• Tamara L. Chilver April 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Yay! I have flair! Now, if I can only convince my teenager that I have flair! Any aps. for that?

Teaching Blog Addict

• Angelia April 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm

YEAH! It worked! Thanks so much for all your tutorials. I've just started my own blog and your stuff is really making is easier for me to figure it out.

• Mrs. Mc April 26, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Now I have cute flair! Thanks again!
    How come the little link boxes are on the same line as the number of comments where yours are on top of one another?
    ~ Mrs. Mc
    Little Literacy Learners

• Kristen April 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm

You guys are awesome! Thanks for trying it out!

Mrs. Mc, I left you a comment on your blog about this! 🙂

• Lorena April 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Thanks for posting about this.

• Sandra Guntorius April 27, 2011 at 12:34 am

WOW, I did it. So cool thanks for sharing.

mrsguntoriusclass.blogspot

• Mrs. Schroeder April 27, 2011 at 12:42 am

I so have FLAIR! Thanks so much for posting your tutorial! It was easy to follow even for a beginner like me!
    Monica

• Cindy April 27, 2011 at 1:56 am

This is FANTASTIC! Can't wait to give it a try! THANKS!

• Jamie April 28, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Thanks. I just happened upon your blog and enjoyed playing with tutorial. Thank!

• Kristen April 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Thank you all! So glad you'd like to try it!

• Amanda K. April 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I can't find the label plural code part in my edit html thing. I tried looking for the "find it" thing, but can't find it either. Please help!

Amanda
    Third Grade Experience

• Julie April 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Do you have a tutorial on how to change the bubble color or shape?
    I thought it would be fun if it said something like-
    Comments make me smile
    or
    comments make me squeal
    I just changed my blog look and I'm frustrated because I can't change my post font size. I'm not sure if I'm sticking with this design I'm just wearing it around for awhile. hehe

Thanks for all your awesome ideas and videos!!
    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Kristen April 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Hey Julie…you can always make one in paint or another designing software if you have something like that. Actually, doesn't Word have a bubble shape? You could make it in a word doc, then save it as a picture.

Thanks for reading/watching! 🙂

• Mrs. Coe May 8, 2011 at 1:28 am
  • Anonymous May 14, 2011 at 3:00 am

I loved this post and was able to follow the instructions to add the comment changes to my blog. Do you have a video on how to add an image before the post, like your heart? I would love to see something like that.

Sacha

• Anonymous June 1, 2011 at 2:42 am

Thank you. I did it. Is there a way to make the backgroud on the comment not have the white background or how do I change it so the background in the posts is white? Sorry for so many questions.

I love the heart before your post. Is there a video to show you how to do that?

Thanks for all of your sharing. I know nothing about html and need all the help I can get.

Thank you so much.

Pam
    Vintage Teacher

• Deborah June 21, 2011 at 3:19 am

Kristen,
    I can't believe it…I did it by following your video and pausing it while I did each step. I can't thank you enough.
    Deborah

• Rachel July 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks so much! I was able to put a bubble on one of my blogs, no problem, but the background on my other blog is dark so the bubble doesn't look right since the background is not transparent. I think it is the same problem that Pam above had.

Thanks so much, love your videos!

Rachel
    Minds in Bloom

• Marisa July 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Thank you so much for posting this videos. I am a newbie blogger: my blog is just a day old! Your tutorials have helped SO much!

I made a different flair, similar to yours, for my blog. Hope you don't mind!

Marisa
    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

• Chrissy December 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm

This is fantastic! The comments link really is so much more obvious. Your tutorials are so easy to follow. Thank you!
     Chrissy

First Grade Found Me

• Jeannie January 22, 2012 at 4:42 am

Thank you for all the great tips and insight! I am loving your blog!!

✿~jeannie~