Extending the Reading Log

April 11, 2011

Extending the Reading Log

April 11, 2011
I’ve been using Reading Logs to track books read at home this year. But now that my ELL students are more fluent and able to write more, I’ve wanted something a bit different, with more accountability!

I was inspired to do this kind of summary sheet by the many different forms shared on Proteacher.

I tried to make one that would not be too overwhelming for my newer ELL students (my more fluent students complete an additional weekly Reader’s Response at home as well).

The document I’m attaching has boxes for Monday through Thursday (we don’t assign homework over the weekend). Students will have the option to summarize what they read that evening or make a prediction (for those reading longer chapter books at home). I will quickly check them off each morning to see if they have been completed, then read through them entirely at the end of the week.

What kinds of form do you have to ensure accountability for reading as part of homework?

Reading Notes sheet

• Kelley April 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I love this idea!

Kelley-3rd

• Mrs. D April 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm
  • S. Parker April 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Beautiful as always. I love them!

• Mrs. Farber April 12, 2011 at 1:37 am

I love these! I also do nightly reading for my students, but it always makes me sad the amount that actually do it. Any tips on how you get all your students to take part? I also share with parents this is an expectation at our parent night. It is frustrating.

• Ms.M April 12, 2011 at 2:09 am

Very cute. I use a weekly homework template. Go here to check it out. http://msk1ell.blogspot.com/2011/04/home-work-template.html

• Amy April 12, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I posted this on a comment on my blog kristen but I wanted to make sure you saw it…

funny thing… I didn't plan on using it today at school but one of my first graders saw it on my desk and really wanted to know what it was… obviosly the great graphics caught his eye and interest is half the battle… so I told him and I said lets write some sentences about the facts we learned in our reading today and he took off. wanted to fill every line and this boy does not like to write! Oh did I mention it's very hard to keep him motivated?? so let's just say i'll be taking it out tomorrow!

Thank you for this file!
    Amy

• Michelle April 12, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Hi there,
    I couldn't find your email aywhere (probably not looking in the right spot…..and I don;t have my glasses on so that could be it)….thanks heaps for the twitter tip – I'll try out your tutorial in the next few days!! – I appreciate it 🙂
    Michelle

• Emily April 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Thank you! This will be great for my kids who are reading longer [non-chapter] books!

• Anonymous April 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Thank you! Great ideas as always! We tie in our reading log with our reading series. Each week our reading series works on a different graphic organizer. We include that graphic organizer on our reading log and ask the students to select one story and fill out the graphic organizer. This way they are reading, recording books and working on a graphic organizer.

Beth

• Mrs. Owens April 21, 2011 at 12:09 am

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I have students complete a weekly reading log, where they are required to read 30 minutes a night and have a parent sign off on it. I like the extra accountability of having them write a summary or make a prediction!

Rachel

• Anonymous May 2, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I love this! What program did you use to make it? It's adorable!

• Kristen May 3, 2011 at 1:12 am

It's just some shapes that are in Word. I think I found them under autoshapes. Thanks!