Organizing your blog pictures

March 18, 2011

Organizing your blog pictures

March 18, 2011

This is for a good bloggy friend 😉 As you might have noticed, I LOVE having tons of pictures on my blog. I like to keep my pictures balanced with my text…so the text never seems too lengthy and there are plenty of visuals. Must be the ELL teacher in me!

Aligning the pictures can be a bit of a pain, so here are a few tips if you’d like to use a lot of pics in your blog…

Sometimes older is better. In the case of Blogger pictures, I like the “Old Editor” version. It is easier for me to type my text next to my pictures (more about that further down…).

To get to the old editor, head into your Settings tab (as shown above).

Towards the bottom of the page you will see “Select post editor”. Here, you will be able to select the Old editor.

The newer editor, although recommended, doesn’t let you type your text directly next to the picture (which I like to do!).

So (and I know this may sound neurotic, but I am what I am!) I do have a pattern for my pictures. When I post my first picture, I always start on the left. You can do this by selecting the “Left” option on the image screen.

Side note: Once you place a picture or photo (to the left or right) you will be able to type right next to the picture! Just click to the side of your picture, near the top of the image, and start typing.

I generally try to make my text about the length of the picture. Then, to place my next picture, I choose “right”…I like how it balances out on the whole post visually!

Another neat thing about this old image editor is that you have more control over resizing the image.

By default, I use “Large” for image size…since I can just click on the image and resize it with the grab points.

Note: For some reason, each time you add a new picture, it automatically gets placed at the beginning of your post. Not a problem though. All you have to do is select the picture and cut it. Then, go to the part of the post you would like to place the picture, click at the front of the text (just to the left of the first word in that text area) and paste it. It will automatically align on the side you originally placed it.

I hope this helps!

• sailingintofirstgrade March 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm

It helps me! I will try that next time I post! Thanks for the tip! You are helping me be a better blogger. I am off to reread how to embed google docs because it keeps freezing on me when I choose the older version(and then I have to revert to the old way of taking screen shots)! GRRR! Keep those tips coming! I know everyone appreciates it and learns so much from you!
    ~Kim

• Hadar March 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm

no wonder I always had such a hard time with this!!! thank ya, thank ya!

• Mrs. Lochridge March 19, 2011 at 12:58 am

I want to sincerely thank you for offering such a wonderful website. Last night I was able to find answers on how to insert a Google Docs preview and add a link in comments that I leave on other blogs. I've searched all over the place…but, your site is organized, concise, and very informative. You are very talented. I do have one question that I still haven't found an answer to…maybe you can point me in the right direction. How can I make a picture link using a Google doc?

First Grade Factory

• Ladybug Teacher March 19, 2011 at 1:01 am

Mrs. Lochridge, thank you so much!!! That means so much to me, thank you 🙂

I will post about the picture links next!

• Mrs. Lochridge March 19, 2011 at 1:49 am

Also, when I click on my inserted image in a post, I'm not noticing the grab points as you mentioned. I did revert to the older version. I tried right clicking…but still not seeing this option.

First Grade Factory

• Ladybug Teacher March 19, 2011 at 1:52 am

I don't know…I just use the regular button, not the right click and I can resize the photo. What happens when you click on your photo?

• Mrs. Lochridge March 19, 2011 at 2:10 am

When I click on my picture that I inserted as large, nothing happens. I just see a little white hand. Double click doesn't do anything either.

• Mrs. Youngblut March 19, 2011 at 2:34 am

Thank you so much for your technology tips! My superintendent is impressed with my classroom blog. It looks nice thanks to you!! Now I will be working on picture placement…

• Mrs. Saoud March 19, 2011 at 3:05 am

XOXO!! I miss the old editor. I have changed my settings to the old editor in the past for the blog layout. Sheesh! I should have known what to do. 😉 (my wink looks evil)

Mrs. Lachridge is correct, your site is amazing and organized.

Your organization and experience with ELL students really shows with your use of visuals. So… Your next post in the series will have to be creating images like those in your instructions.

Cheryl

• Heidi Samuelson March 19, 2011 at 3:19 am

You are amazing! Thank you for making a technical world make more sense by using such easy to follow directions and pictures! I can't tell you how many times I refer back to your posts to help me out!
    I so appreciate your willingness to share!
    Swamp Frog First Graders

• Malarie March 19, 2011 at 3:45 am
  • Anna Brantley March 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Thank you so much!!! Can you believe I was dragging my pictures to their spots???? I knew there was a better way!!!!

Anna

Crazy for First Grade

• How’s it going with your classroom cleanup? I had a two hour block the other day and will have a whole day next week to do more. It’s surreal. Hope you are all doing well ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #missmystudents #missmyclassroom #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Not one thing worked today. Not zoom. Not google meet. Two weeks to go and I am missing my classroom more than ever!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
How much distance learning do you have left??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#distancelearning #remotelearning #notmyfavorite #missmystudents #andmyclassroom
    • Google drive shortcuts at a glance!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I know I shared these in a pdf the other day but I wanted to show another way to display these little time-savers.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I split them into two files and resized them so they could stay at the top of my drive as a reference point...no need to open anything, just a couple of mini reference charts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you would like to try the same, please click the link in my profile to grab a copy or visit: bit.ly/shortcutsataglance
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They are in one google slide together. To view them separately, make a second copy of the file and delete the first slide. Now you will have two google slides you can keep at the top of your drive.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope you can use them! I can't get enough of them!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I'm LOVING these time-saving shortcuts for google drive!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I compiled some of my favorite shortcuts that have eliminated a lot of double-clicking on items...as well as right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu. These things can get pretty tedious when you are trying to move quickly, right? Especially with the amount of time we are working in google drive during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first set of shortcuts will work on anything you have selected in your drive. So if you select a doc, you can simply click one of these letters/symbols and be on your way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The second set features a faster way to open up new docs, slides, sheets, and more. For these shortcuts, simply click the shift key along with the letter shown in the chart. So much faster than the traditional way!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I made a pdf of these shortcuts...you can save the file in your drive or even print a copy if you would like. Please see the link in my profile or visit: bit.ly/googledriveshortcutschart
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I hope they help save you some time during distance learning!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Which one do you think will be the most handy? My two favorites right now are the renaming shortcut and the share shortcut!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #distancelearning #distanceteaching #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Who else loves a good shortcut??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I seriously LOVE shortcuts. It may sound like such a small thing, but a one-click shortcut saves SO much time rather than double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting from a drop down menu.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But just one little click? Then you are on your way in an instant!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And these google shortcuts are just that...lovely, one-click shortcuts!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These are some of my favorites I started using last year...and now with all this distance learning I have found them to be so valuable as I navigate my google drive:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Open a folder or document: click letter o
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Rename a folder or document: click letter n
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Preview a document: click letter p
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Share a document: click the dot symbol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And that's all! Select any folder or document you are working on, click on of these letters/symbols, and you are on your way to the next step in your work!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I have a few more shortcuts to share and would love to put them together in a document that can be saved/printed...can anyone use this? Let me know and I will share it tomorrow!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Happy shortcutting!! And, more importantly, happy weekend my friends!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googledocs #teachertimesaver #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite google font? There's a way to make your favorite a default font, EVERY time you create a new google doc!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I love this one so much.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
You know how google docs always open with Arial? Like size 11 I think? It's not that Arial is bad or anything...but it's definitely not my go-to font.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Luckily, there is a way to make your favorite font (and font size!) display automatically in docs! So every time you open a new doc, no more time wasted in selecting your favorite font and font size! It is SO awesome!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
And really easy to do! Here are the steps (shown in the pictures step by step too):
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Open a new google doc. Type a word or phrase and highlight it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. Select the text and choose your favorite font and font size. Keep the text highlighted.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. Go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal Text' to Match.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. Then go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Now your new font is ready to go! Each time you create a new doc, your font will be there waiting...no more time wasting changing fonts and sizes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you tried this feature before? I hope it helps save you some time if you haven't!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googlefonts #googledocs #googledrive #distancelearning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram