Remembering names on papers

February 1, 2011

Remembering names on papers

February 1, 2011

This was an idea I learned about on Proteacher…I just modified it a bit with different clipart.

I used the highlighter system last year and it worked well for my 5th grade class (it was a big class and there were a lot of forgotten names each day). I laminated the poster to the right and hung it on the wall. I velcroed two highlighters, one on each side of the poster. It worked like a charm for that class.

My ELL class this year is a bit smaller and more mindful of name-writing. So I adapted the sign (might as well save my highlighters!)…so just a reminder to put names on papers before turning them into the baskets. I think this works out well if you have a fairly responsible class. If I had many forgotten names, I would definitely go back to the highlighter method. The two different forms are below:

Highlight Names poster

Names Reminder poster

I’m sure many of you have seen this or used this, but I just wanted to share it in case it was new to some. Have a nice evening–I hope you aren’t one of those many states about to be hit with snow…unless you want a snow day…which I do…on Wednesday yay!!! 🙂

• Amanda February 1, 2011 at 2:04 am

Love this idea! Oh, and I'm in one of the states that's about to get blasted by snow and freezing rain! We keep hearing how we have a "dangerous" Winter Storm Warning. Super duper! Although, I guess a snow day would be okay with me.

• Mrs. Harris February 1, 2011 at 2:06 am

I'm one of those states that's about…IS being hit with ICE! Worse than snow… And yes – we do have a snow day!! 🙂 I'm going to use it to make lovely centers and things and blog all day 😉 I'm so addicted!

• Gladys February 1, 2011 at 3:07 am

I want a snow day too…but being in South Texas…I don't think that's going to happen…booo!

-Gladys

• Katie February 1, 2011 at 4:05 am

neat idea! I am one of those teachers that sings, sings, sings… so I, of course, have a quick little jingle "Name on your paper" and the students reply "first thing". Just a fun way to remember their names!

🙂

• Dana Baker February 1, 2011 at 4:14 am

I would love to download your signs, but it says the page cannot download properly. I got the same message when I tried to download a file from your site yesterday or the day before. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!

• Angie February 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I'm having the same problem downloading files, too.

• Ladybug Teacher February 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Are they working now? I can't get the link to embed anymore 🙁

Which other docs wouldn't work from earlier in the week? The reading log?

Thanks for letting me know, I hope they work now!

• Dana Baker February 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Hooray! I was just able to download these – so cute!
    I still cannot download the reading log – just tried again.

Thank you so much for fixing these!
    (I also love the tips you post on creating buttons and other things on your blog – as soon as I get some free time I am going to start experimenting!)

• Ladybug Teacher February 2, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Dana!

I fixed the reading log too. I wish I could still embed the links but I guess we can't anymore!

• Jennifer July 28, 2011 at 5:12 am

Hi LB! =)

Just stopping by to tell you I posted this idea as one of my must have back to school freebies! This and another one of yours! You really should publish a book!

Stop by to see!
    Empowering Little Learners!

• The Scott Family July 30, 2011 at 5:12 am

How awesome!! I loved your idea for highlighting names so much that I posted it on my blog for teachers to use in their classroom: http://our-scott-spot.blogspot.com/2011/07/fun-find-friday-teacher-edition.html

• Vintage Teacher August 27, 2011 at 12:14 am

I use the same idea, but a paper clip a list to a folder, they check off their name when they turn in their paper. Then I highlight the names of the people who didn't turn it in.

• Amber Unger March 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I was just going to make a sign like this, but then though, "Maybe there is a creative and generous teacher out there who already has and was willing to share." So Pinteresting I went, and there you were!! Thank you so much for saving me time and energy. Love the freebie! 🙂 P.S. I am your newest follower!

• Anonymous July 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Un merci de France où j'ai adapté ton panneau à la langue, car au delà de l'océan, on a le même genre de problème de prénom oublié ici aussi !
    Thank you from France where I've changed your sign into French, because across the ocean, we've got the same "name" problem here as well !
    Camille

• Kimberley Hove August 1, 2012 at 1:03 am

What a great idea! I will definitely use that this school year.