Neat little (cheap!!) document camera

February 25, 2011

Neat little (cheap!!) document camera

February 25, 2011

Does your school have an Elmo or other document camera? Ours does…but the Elmos are per grade level and to be shared. Which makes them in high demand.

I read about the IPEVO on Proteacher back over the summer. I heard it was high quality and cheap (I got mine for $65 on Amazon!!).

Well, I just love it. It is great to have a document camera all of the time! We use it for everything–projects, going over rubrics, writing, correcting homework, everything! The IPEVO itself is really neat. It has a surprisingly heavy base and never tips. And it’s really easy to maneuver to any angle.

I recently set up a small table specifically for the projector and IPEVO, near our reading area…since I use it a lot for read alouds (the kids love to follow along on the projector).

In case you do get one, here a couple of tips that took me awhile to figure out:

• For the longest time, I had some difficulty getting it to focus nicely. There is an Auto Focus button on the computer screen (labeled AF) and once you click it, it focuses beautifully!
  • It can be a little dim…so a small lamp is helpful. I ended up taking one of our lamps and putting it in the middle of the table for some extra light. Looks nice and helps a lot!

Here is the link to the IPEVO website, in case you would like to read more about it.

Do you have an IPEVO or other document camera? What are your favorite things to do on the document camera?

• Ms. Durning February 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Wow.. so you can shine it on the white board like a real projector??

• Ms. Durning February 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Oh wait.. you would need a smartboard or computer?

• Ladybug Teacher February 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Hey Ms. Durning,
    You do need a computer and projector…not a smartboard though (I wish I had one of those!)

• Ms.M February 25, 2011 at 7:08 pm

What a great find!

I have an Aver Media Document cam, well it belongs to the school but it's in my room full time. We got lucky enough that they purchased a projector & document cam for each one of us. I ADORE it & use it constantly. Long gone are the days of my students complaining that they cant see, because now everything is projected on to the white board. We don't have Smart boards though. We've been told that they could purchase them but decided to spend less money & but Mobi tablets. Apparently, they are a 1/3 of the price & do everything a Smart board does. Plus teachers like them better because they are more mobile. I have only used it a few times but need more practice. I desperately want to find activities to do on it. What I really want is a set of iPod touches & and iPad for my Tatter Tots. I love tech!

I'll stop rambling now. 🙂

• Mrs. Saoud February 26, 2011 at 12:56 am

I was looking at the IPEVO when my principal purchased an ELMO. I am the STC for my school had zero technology in my class. Well, I did have an overhead (a dinosaur). I am now looking into this product…

LCD Pocket Projector

I am in LOVE! IPAD, Pocket Projector, HAPPY LIFE 🙂

Cheryl from Mrs Saouds Class

PS: Can you tell I love embedding link??

• Mandi March 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I got the IPEVO this year and LOVE it! I've had some of the same issues with the focus at times, but for the money it's a great tool. We use it all the time! Wish I had a SMART board to use it with so the screen would be larger, but for now the tv works ok with it.

• Anonymous March 29, 2011 at 11:44 pm

We bought 2 IPEVO's for our school. I loved it so much I bought my own. The students love it and remind me when we are doing activities that they could see it better with my "toy". Guess I shouldn't have called it my new toy when it came in! I use it for new centers, game, books, and just about everything!

• Kathy Law April 5, 2011 at 2:19 am

I recently bought one and I love it! The students enjoy watching themselves on the big screen.

Kathy
    First Grade a la Carte

• Jessica April 13, 2011 at 1:24 am

I bought an IPEVO a few weeks ago, and I love it! This gem will save me so much time and paper now that I don't have to photocopy all of my bellringers. I also like to demo revision strategies, and go over directions with students using this camera. Of course, my students are just as excited about this "toy" as I am. (Yes, I referred to it as my new toy, too!) I'll be posting a screencast/demo with footage from my Ipevo on my blog in the next few days, if anyone is interested. I can also say that their tech support is wonderful. I had some problems getting my camera set up initially (an oversight on my part, not a problem with the product), so I went to the Ipevo website and was able to chat with tech support and get the problem solved in minutes. I highly recommend this product!

Jessica

• Nigel June 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Love the iPevo, great device. Have one in class now and finding it very useful.

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I saw your comment about a smartboard. Have you checked out a mimio? If you have a laptop, projector and a mimio – it makes your whiteboard and interactive whiteboard. Laura

• Anonymous September 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

eBeam as well – Especially the Edge (made by Luidia)